• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I somehow missed your request so, I'm just going to let you know that I think that once a day is a fine posting speed at your update size.

And yeah that seems like the most logical choice. I wouldn't want to get wrecked for no good reason.

Another question; do you guys, the readers, find this AAR enjoyable to read? Because I feel that my writing style here is very bland and boring. Most other AAR's I look at are either very comedic or else in-depth politically and historically detailed book-sized things. Is my method enjoyable for you guys to read?

Last edited:
Diaries are a legitimate writing style. I've often seen it before, though perhaps not so much recently. Personally, while I find some of the book-sized AARs very enjoyable, I often can't find the time to get into them and prefer shorter, more to the point AARs for a change of pace.

Chapter 5, Regency Period

--- The private journals of Vhalo Nazor, Regent Ban of Croatia ---
Journal Entry 54, January 31st 1854
The people of Croatia bestowed the title of Ban on me this month. It is a great honour; Ban is the traditional title of the Viceroy of Croatia, a man who was similar to Prime Minister in the old days.

I am following in Andrea Doria XXI’s footsteps now, starting by expanding Croatia’s one factory - which is now employing its full 10,000 quota of employees. It’s costing a lot, taking 120 kuna from the treasury every day but soon we will be over that part of the process.

Journal Entry 55, August 31st 1854
The fort I ordered built outside Zagreb has finally been completed. It was opened last week, to a national holiday; “Patriotism Day”, a new holiday I proclaimed in celebration of this event.

In other news, a new political faction has entered the running. The Radical Faction is aptly named and goes against most things the other parties represent. I doubt it has much chance of success though, as some of its policies are technically illegal.

Journal Entry 56, October 31st 1854
We are at war! The Ottoman Empire has requested our assistance against the Russian savages, who have laid claim to the Ottoman state of Kars, bordering the Black Sea. We obviously agreed to assist.

warofkar.png

Journal Entry 57, November 30th 1854
This month we were approached from the Swiss ambassador about a ‘Geneva Convention’ and asked to agree to these new articles of war. Croatia has of course agreed and signed the document.

geneva.png

Meanwhile, our navy has entered the Black Sea and reached Kars. We shall soon enter conflict with Russia. In addition, Austria has given us permission to move troops through their nation; a possibly helpful action, although not yet of any use.

Journal Entry 58, February 29th 1855
The first conflict of the war with Russia; Ottomans, with Croatian support, are ambushed by Russian troops. We were outnumbered but the Ottoman’s swiftly sent in reinforcements.

Journal Entry 59, March 31st 1855
We were forced to retreat, with half of our force dead. It is a great calamity and people back home are clamouring to bring the troops home. However, instead I command our fleet to blockade Russia’s ports in the region.

Journal Entry 60, June 30th 1855
During a battle in Kutaisi with Russian forces we were forced to retreat, badly wounded. It is not good for moral.

Journal Entry 61, August 31st 1855
August; we win our first battle in the War with Russia; the Battle of Batum was won with Ottoman assistance, but it is a win none the less.

bantum.png

Journal Entry 62, September 30th 1855
In a battle with the Russians in Ardahan one brigade was entirely struck down and two others lost nearly their entire force. Croatia is forced to retreat, humiliated.

Journal Entry 63, October 31st 1855
We are forced to pull out of the war and retreat home to Croatia; russia readily agrees to let us pull out and declare white peace with them. It is yet another humiliating military defeat for us and a hard hit on our military power.

warend.png

Journal Entry 64, November 31st 1855
Our troops returned home yesterday, very subdued.

I have decided that offense is not going to work and instead I am building more defence; a fort in Pola, the nation’s most populous city - beating even the capital in population, I was surprised to discover - is the first move towards this.

Journal Entry 65, January 31st 1856
A program to encourage soldiers was engaged upon this month. It is aimed to increase the number of people who joined up to be soldiers.

Journal Entry 66, April 29th 1856
The nation’s engineers finished coming up with the steam engine this month. I told them to work on railroads next.

steamengine.png

Journal Entry 67, May 31st 1856
Set the shipyards of Pola to work building a new frigate this month.

Journal Entry 68, August 31st 1856
Montenegro appears to have finally broken its alliance with the Ottoman’s and is now ripe for conquest. I ordered that the Croatian military move to Kotor - which borders Montenegro - this week.

When they arrived, we declared war. Montenegro’s only ally, Lombardia, deserted them in response.

warsb.png

The first battle takes place, with Croatia outnumbering Montenegro.

invasionofmon.png

Journal Entry 70, September 30th 1856
We soundly defeated Montenegro in the first and only battle of the war. It is glorious victory for Croatia. A siege of their only province follows.

forthewin.png

Journal Entry 71, November 31st 1856
Our second frigate is completed, upping naval power to 2 frigates and three clippers.

Journal Entry 72, February 29th 1857
We won! Montenegro sued for peace with conditions of the annexation of Montenegro. The nation is now subjugated and 25,000 people have been added to the population pool.

winnerpy.png

Meanwhile, we can now recruit a third brigade back in Karlovac. I set about doing just that. It is glorious progress.

Journal Entry 73, March 31st 1857
The factory in Croatia state has upgraded to a level too, increasing our industrial capacity!

Journal Entry 74, August 31st 1857
A new military project is in the works; a fort in the capture Montenegro province. In addition, the recruitment for a new brigade of infantry finished in May; raising our military power a fair way.

Journal Entry 75, June 31st 1858
The Yugoslavian Pan-Nationalists are back, rebelling in Karlovac. We crushed them swiftly though.
rebelsagain.png

rebeldeafeted.png

Journal Entry 76, November 31st 1858
My engineers are now ready to implement a new device, the railroad. They tell me it can greatly increase our output and supply routes. Market structure, which they say will help literacy - which has begun to fall as a result of Montenegro and the Serbian immigrates - is the next research.

railroadw.png

In addition, the fort in Pola was completed this month.

Journal Entry 77, January 31st 1859
A railroad connection from Pola to Zagreb is the next objective. This, incidentally, will connect Karlovac, the nation’s core of economic activity - where quite a quantity of gold is mined - to the ports and to the capital. It is an expensive undertaking, and costs more than anything we have ever done before, but projections say it is worth it.

Journal Entry 78, March 31st 1859
Bad news; the Ottoman Empire, our main ally, have fallen from the top-eight positions of power in international politics. They are only the 10th most powerful nation now. Incidentally, we have also lost the Serbian alliance.

Journal Entry 79, April 31st 1859
We have lost the Ottomans. With the death of Queen Esma, at the age of only 34, the Ottoman Empire has withdrawn from their alliance with us.

Journal Entry 80, August 31st 1859
Potato blight has struck Dubrovnik, 10.00% of the population is dead and our international standing has taken a hit. Food aid has been sent in, but little else can be done.

blight.png

Note: This one covers 10 years due to how little happened in the first five years.

Chapter 6, Expansion
--- The private journals of Vlaho Nazor, Regent Ban of Croatia ---
Journal Entry 81, January 31st 1860
The nations capitalists actually got around to doing something this month. They have begun constructing a luxury clothes factory in Croatia state.

Journal Entry 82, March 31st 1860
This month we reached a point where we could recruit a fourth brigade. It is good news for our defenses in the future.

newbrigade.png

Journal Entry 83, September 31st 1860
I began the recruitment of the 4th brigade this month.

Journal Entry 83, December 31st 1860
Despite my advisors telling me it was unlikely Austria would agree, I requested access for our army from them and they have agreed! It is a welcome deal because now we can travel across their lands to reach other nations. However, they still don’t want an alliance.

militaryaccess.png

Also the 4th brigade and the fort in Montenegro both came through this month.

Journal Entry 84, January 31st 1861
The railroad network connection between Zagreb, Pola, Fuile and Karlovac was completed this month. It opens up trade enormously.

Journal Entry 85, July 31st 1861
I am becoming more ambitious. I have commissioned the construction of railway lines connecting all of Dalmatia, starting in Montenegro and going through Kotor, Dubrovnik, Split, Zadar and Senj, coming to an end with a connection with Karlovac, which in turn connects them to Pola and Zagreb.

The fort in Pola was finished this month too.

Journal Entry 86, October 31st 1861
We can recruit two more brigades now and I’ve ordered it to be done so. Money is no longer a worry, so this is an easy decision.

anothernewbrigade.png

Another issue that came to my attention today is the Serbian resistance-run bank in one of our provinces that the local government wants to nationalise. I told them to leave it alone as it’s not worth the trouble.

leavingitalone.png

Journal Entry 86, January 31st 1861
Two new brigades joined our military today, catapulting us into the position of the 37th most powerful nation in the world (two positions up from where we were before); consider there are 119 nations at last census and we were only 65th most powerful nation in the world at our conception, it is a reasonable position.

The luxury clothes factory built by the capitalists was completed this month too.

Journal Entry 87, April 31st 1862
The Pan-Nationalists rebelled again this month. However they were swiftly suppressed.

pannatioanlists.png

rebelwar.png

Journal Entry 88, December 31st 1862
Austria cancelled our military access before it could be of us and refuses to give us it again. It is disheartening news.

Journal Entry 89, June 31st 1863
Research was completed on a new education program this month.

researchr.png

Basic chemistry principles are next.

Journal Entry 90, July 31st 1863
The railroad construction project was completed this month. It has opened up new trade and boosted our economic output quite a lot.

Journal Entry 91, December 31st 1863
We are able to recruit a 7th brigade now, and I’ve commissioned the training program to do so.

Journal Entry 92, January 31st 1864
Croatia’s scientists came up with a new technology this month. They tell me it will improve factory output.

polypoly.png

We also regained military access from Austria this month.

Journal Entry 93, April 31st 1864
New brigade completed this month.

Journal Entry 94, August 31st 1864
A new technology was discovered this month; oligopoly structure, which increases factory productivity.

Journal Entry 95, January 31st 1865
We appeared to have fallen into Spain’s ‘sphere of influence’. Not sure what will come of this.

Austria again cancelled our military access; it is a strange thing for them to do, to be sure.

Journal Entry 96, March 31st 1865
I offered Spain an alliance this month; they refused point-blank.

Journal Entry 97, August 31st 1865
The principles of basic chemistry were completed this month and published; we can mow build fertilizer factories, which make materials which aid in the production of explosives.

ferterlizer.png

Medicine is the next principle that Croatia’s scientists are working on.

Journal Entry 98, September 31st 1865
I have commissioned another railroad project; the four provinces currently without railroads are going to soon have them, as I have set construction crews to work on building railroad tracks in Varazdin, Osijek, Pozega and Bjelovar.

Meanwhile, I have commissioned a fort to be built in every province of Croatia except those that already have forts and those where railroads are in progress.

Journal Entry 99, March 31st 1866
We can now recruit an 8th brigade and are now doing so.

Journal Entry 100, June 31st 1866
We finished recruiting our 8th brigade only yesterday. However, despite this progress we are now dropping fast; we are only the 44th most powerful nation now.

Also, our national literacy has reached 19% despite continued falling literacy in Montenegro province and among the Serbian population.

Journal Entry 101, April 31st 1867
Croatia’s next big project is a major upgrade of the navy. Three new clippers, a Man of War and two new frigates have been commissioned in various ports across the nation.

It isn’t as costly as expected, and is doing only a tiny amount of damage to the treasury, money which will take only three months to recover; very little cost for so many new ships.

Journal Entry 102, July 31st 1867
The first of the new fleet was completed today, the first clipper.

Journal Entry 103, August 31st 1867
The rest of the clippers were completed today.

Journal Entry 104, November 31st 1867
Pan-Nationalists yet again rebelled this month, this time in Kotor. However, they are weaker than ever and were crushed swiftly.
rebelfighting.png

beatenback.png

Journal Entry 105, December 31st 1867
The two frigates were completed this month.

Journal Entry 106, April 30th 1868
I commissioned forts this month, to be built in each of the four provinces without them. This will mark the completion of my defence scheme.

Journal Entry 107, May 31st 1868
The Man of War was completed this month. The navy is now strong enough to stand up to most competition outside Great and Secondary powers, and can carry almost the entire nation’s army.
fleetq.png

Journal Entry 108, August 31st 1868
German Pan-Nationalists, rebelling in Austria, crossed into our nation this week. However, they were crushed even quicker than the Yugoslavian Pan-Nationalists.

foreigners.png

Journal Entry 109, January 31st 1869
Two more clippers have been commissioned this month, and my fort building scheme has been completed, with 7 new forts completed.

Journal Entry 109, February 29th 1869
Yet more German Pan-Nationalist’s entered our nation from Austria this month, but again they were crushed.

winagainstforiengers.png
[

--- Croatian National Herald, March 26th 1869 ---
Heir Finally Assumes Position
The coronation of the now 20 year old King Jossip I of the Croats will take place tomorrow morning at twelve in the Zagreb Royal Palace, when Regent Ban of Croatia Vhalo Nazor resigns his position, and hands the leadership to the son of the deceased King Andrea Doria XXI.

Many rejoice at the news and the Regent Ban has proclaimed, as his last act of state that March 26th is to be evermore the national holiday of Coronation Day.

--- The private journals of Jossip I, King of the Croats, Duke of Zagreb and Prince of Melfi ---
Journal Entry 110, March 31st 1869
It is quite frightening assuming the throne with the legacy of my father and Vhalo behind me, great men who have built Croatia up out of the ashes.

The first thing I did was commission a world map, because I wish to be more expansionist than my predecessors and need to get a grip on world politics.

World map in 1869; click for near full-size.

Very little has happened; Prussia has squeezed down on Austria; the United Kingdom has taken a comparatively small chunk of China, annexed Tibet and acquired most of Burma; China has in turn acquired pieces of Kokand; the Netherlands has removed Crete from Egypt’s control; a fair bit of colonising has taken place in America; Spain has taken Morocco from Portugal and France has somehow acquired an enclave that consists of part of Belgium. In all, it is only a small change for near forty years.

Journal Entry 111, June 31st 1869
Medicine research was completed this month, to celebration among the scientific community. I feel their joy too, as this discovery opens up many new possibilities with its increase in the supply range.

Another group of people have been asked to work on the next research advancements, the nation’s admirals; Command principles for the navy are the next theory to be worked on.

Journal Entry 112, May 31st 1869
The clippers that the Ban commissioned were completed this month.

Journal Entry 113, July 31st 1869
Building up on this medicine technology, chemotherapy has become available to the military, giving them more chance of surviving in hostile foreign lands.

chemotherapy.png

In addition, I have moved Croatia’s military into Austria to assist them in sieging undefended rebel controlled provinces.

Journal Entry 114, August 31st 1869
Two things happened this month; the Ottoman Empire requested military access in Croatia, which we granted them, and we finished sieging the rebel controlled Austrian province we were assisting Austria with, and returned our troops home.

accessy.png

Journal Entry 115, September 30th 1869
An extremely important advance in medicine was made this month; antiseptics were discovered, which my advisors tell me will boost population growth, lower the causalities for troops in foreign lands and assist military hospitals. It is very good news for a possible future invasion I am planning.

Journal Entry 116, October 31st 1869
Austria got itself into another war this month, this time with Prussia. Prussia has more troops, but Austria has the Ottoman Empire on its side. It will be a close war, unless the Ottoman’s decide not to actually do anything, then Austria will lose soundly.

brotherswar.png

However, more important events are taking place at home. I have loaded the Croatian army onto our navy, and it now sails for Modena, aiming for conquest.

Journal Entry 118, December 31st 1869
We are at war, with an inferior foe; just the way I like it. Modena has no chance of standing up to us, with a tiny military and no allies.

waronmodena.png

Journal Entry 119, January 31st 1870
Modena is defeated before it can even think of doing anything other than die.

youwon.png

Journal Entry 120, February 29th 1870
We have returned most of the Croatian military home, via Austria. What remains is only what is needed to complete the siege.

Journal Entry 121, April 31st 1870
Modena managed to raise a new, even smaller army this month. However, even with most of the army back in Croatia, they were crushed with literally no causalities dealt to Croatia.

Journal Entry 122, June 31st 1870
A new medical discovery was made this month; vaccination, which gives our troops have more chance of survival in hostile enemy lands.

Journal Entry 123, August 31st 1870
Modena rose up again in August, and was again crushed. Meanwhile the siege goes ahead full speed.

Journal Entry 123, September 31st 1870
At the beginning of this month, Modena was begging for white peace. By the end of it, they readily agreed to be conquered.

modenaannexed.png

The war is finally over, and Modena has been annexed. Instantly we are able to recruit two new brigades, bringing the total up to 10 and jumping our nation to 39th most powerful.

Journal Entry 124, December 31st 1870
It is the last month of the decade, and a new movement has come to my attention.

organicworks.png

I have decided to let it run its course, as it is harming no one and is actually a reasonably noble pursuit.​

I'm enjoying this, a good read. I'm glad to see King Jossip I take the throne at last, especially considering the rebel problems which have plagued Croatia and the bruising war with Russia. However the regent achieved some success in annexing Montenegro and now Jossip himself has got his reign off to a good start with the conquest of Modena. Crotia itself seems to be advancing nicely in terms of technology and militarily, I look forward to reading to seeing what Jossip will do next.

Good work! It's an unusual tactic - progressing through outright annexation of one province minors - but that makes it all the more interesting. How is your port technology? Do you expect to be able to take part in the scramble for Africa within the next couple of decades?

Interesting AAR, I will be following this....

.....one question, what happens if Pan-Yugo rebels succeed in defeating the Croatian army?

@MorningSIDEr
Thank you a ton for your comments. I'm glad your enjoying it.

@Selzro
I don't appear to be in a position because of my location, but I did just check up and I have the tech for level one naval bases, so if I can aquire a weak unciv in Africa, I have a chance to get in the running.

@Gremlok
Not sure. I assume Yugoslavia forms and its game over for me.

Chapter 7, Military Expansion

---The private journals of Josip I, King of the Croats, Prince of Melfi and Duke of Zagreb---

Journal Entry 125, January 31tst 1871
The Modenan brigades were completed this month, and the principles of the Command Structure were also published in a guide to naval hierarchy this month. The theological types are now working on ‘The Rights of Man’.

commandstructure.png

In addition national literacy has jumped, reaching 28% as a result of the high number of literate individuals in annexed Modena.

Journal Entry 126, March 31st 1871
The last of the fort defenses are completed this month, giving every Croatian province a fort and a railroad.

Journal Entry 127, July 31st 1871
Combat medicine has been ‘discovered’ by the scientists, lowering the speed at which troops die in foreign lands.

combatmedicine.png

In addition, yet more foreign rebels crossed into our lands from Austria this month; the Austrian Anarcho-Liberals. They were stronger than Austrian rebel groups we have encountered before, but still easily crushed.

winningkarlovac.png

Journal Entry 128, September 31st 1871
Yet more of them crossed over into our lands this month; Austrian Anarcho-Liberals, that is. However, we destroyed them just as easy as ever before.

Journal Entry 129, January 31st 1872
I discovered today that Croatia is now the world’s 24th most powerful nation, an enormous jump from our position only a year ago.

Journal Entry 130, March 31st 1872
Yet more Yugoslavian pan-nationalists rebelled this month and were smashed swiftly.
nationalists.png

Journal Entry 131, April 31st 1872
The work ‘The Rights of Man’ was completed this month and published by the Archbishop of Zagreb’s office. It has nearly no benefits itself, but the research that stems from it is worthwhile.

rightsofman.png

Post-Nelsonian tactics (thought) for the navy are next.

Journal Entry 131, June 31st 1872
Two new brigades are now ready for recruitment; I commanded this month that they be recruited.

IMG]http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8925/brigades.png[/IMG]

Journal Entry 132, September 31st 1872
The new brigades were completed this month, boosting military strength to 12 brigades in total.

Journal Entry 133, December 31st 1872
I began a program of secretly destroying relations with Tuscany this month, in preparation for a planned invasion of their nation.

Journal Entry 134, March 31st 1873
Relations with Tuscany have completely been destroyed, and this month yet more rebels crossed over from Austria. Yet again we easily defeated them.

tuscanyrelations.png

Journal Entry 135, April 31st 1873
We were forced to ignore a problematic underground paper this month, which has been causing trouble by demanding further democracy. However, we couldn’t shut it down without a possible rebellion and I wish to avoid that at all costs.

harrasedparties.png

Journal Entry 136, June 31st 1873
Yet more rebels this month; Modenan nationalists this time though, not the normal Yugoslavian Pan-Nationalists. They still pose no problem to us though and we have defeated them already.

modeannationalists.png

In addition, the blueprints for a ‘naval base’ were completed this month as part of Post-Nelsonian Thought in naval tactics. A new military tech, muzzle loaded rifles is next; my scientific advisors tell me it will increase army strength by a large margin.

postnelsonian.png

Journal Entry 137, October 31st 1873
Austrian relations slipped yet again this month; I’ve boosted them up but not before Austria cancelled our military access.

Journal Entry 138, December 31st 1873
I ordered the construction of a new Man of War in Massa this month, as part of an expansion program for the military.

Journal Entry 139, February 28th 1874
Potato blight struck Pozega province this month, killing multitudes. I sent in food aid, but can do little else.

Journal Entry 140, March 31st 1874
I was forced to tackle a poverty issue today. It has been solved for the moment, but those measures won’t last long.

poor.png

Journal Entry 141, July 31st 1874
The Ottoman Empire granted us military access this month, which might be a possible boon in the future.

Journal Entry 142, December 31st 1874
The new Man of War in Massa was completed this month.

Journal Entry 143, January 31st 1875
As part of the military expansion program I commissioned a naval base in Massa this month. In addition, a new technology came through; the use of pressure chambers for thorax surgeries. Both are great improvements for our nation.

Journal Entry 144, February 28th 1875
We can now recruit 3 new brigades, and I’ve ordered they all be trained.

brigadesnew.png

Journal Entry 145, June 31st 1875
Thermometers for clinics and stethoscopes came into use this month, which I’m told will boost population growth by roughly 0.05%. Doesn’t sound much, but it’s an extra baby roughly every three days.

In addition the new brigades were completed this month.

Journal Entry 146, September 31st 1875
Production of Muzzle-Loaded Rifles began this month, boosting our infantry’s strength by a credible amount. A system of alphabetic signal flags for the navy is next, planned to boost the range our ships can travel before they run out of supplies.

muzzleload.png

Journal Entry 147, November 31st 1875
A new frigate is under construction this month, the latest part of my naval expansion projects.

Journal Entry 148, January 31st 1876
I broke our alliance with Tuscany this month, the next stage in my planned invasion.
endofanalliance.png

Journal Entry 149, May 31st 1876
More German Pan-Nationalists crossed over from Austria again this month and were defeated yet again.

However, Potato blight has hit Sisak province and is causing havoc.

potatoblight.png

Journal Entry 150, June 31st 1876
The new frigate was completed this month.

Journal Entry 151, July 31st 1876
Yet more Austrian rebels entered Croatia this month and were defeated. In addition, Modenan nationalists rebelled yet again.

winagainstrebels.png

Journal Entry 152, August 31st 1876
Yet more Austrian rebels entered Croatia this month, again defeated

Journal Entry 153, September 31st 1876
Genetic heredity was discovered this month, prompting further population growth.

geneticsk.png

Journal Entry 154, October 31st 1876
Alphabetic flag signalling was completed this month, and the guide to the meanings of flags published. Command principles are next.

alphabetic.png

More rebels entered from Austria again this month, to be defeated again; it is really becoming a plague now.

Journal Entry 155, December 31st 1876
The latest lot of rebels from Austria entered Croatia this month, to be beaten back yet again. In addition, potato blight struck Kotor province this month and food aid was sent in.​

Good stuff although the continued rebel problems must be irksome, especially the many which seems to arrive from Austria, but you seem to be dealing with them handily enough. I do like the plan to go for Tuscany next, Italy is always a rich land, well worth conquering.

Thank you. Tuscany has broken all its alliances and been pulled out of everyone’s spheres, so they are an easy target. However, my infamy is still too high to invade immediately.

Three conquests = a lot of infamy (60). You'd better cut down or Wars of containment will happen...

Edit: sorry, two conquests = too much infamy (40).

Yeah. Though I appear to only have 9 infamy left; not sure where it all went?
Infamy burns 1 point every 10 months you are at peace... which means don't dow Toscano until 50 months (4 1/6 yrs) have passed :)

Well, I've just played out the next AAR entry (though haven't written it yet, will do that from screenshots) but to put it in brief ... I was smashed. Tuscany materialised a dozen brigades through mobilisation, and even though I still had superior numbers (Although not by as large a margin as before) I was defeated and lost a chunk of territory just to get out of the war. In addition, Yugoslavian Pan-Nationals rebelled with around twelve brigades spread throughout Croatia state.

Because of this, I want to pose a question to the people who read this; should I reload or should I continue without reloading?

Last edited:
carry on, AARs are always so much more fun with major setbacks rather than a series of successes
e.g. In my Italian HOI3 AAR a battle over a useless area over a part of Somalia went on for a whole 2 weeks.