• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 9, The fall of Vienna
--- The private journals of Jero Nazor, King of the Croats and Prince of Montenegro ---
Journal Entry 191, 31st January, 1884
The first act of the newly formed Parliament was to work out what powers it had been given. In accordance with the newly written constitution, they had been granted powers to distribute titles - although I also still have that privilege -, audit and limit the nation budget, vote on political and social reforms which I present to the Upper House, and to monitor Royal invention in industry. Altogether it is not a lot of power. I can still remove a ruling party from power on whim, set the nation budget, and they can’t pass a law unless I propose it first.

Currently, they are a healthy bunch of ideologies, with every side represented and the conservatives the majority party by only a margin of 6.6% over Liberals.

ideologies.png

Their second act was to redistribute titles. Their most major title change concerned one of my own personal titles, that of the Ban of Croatia, which was changed so that it was attached to the position of leader of the ruling party - similar to the title Prime Minister. All in all, Parliament was concerning itself with petty problems and that suits me just fine. They won’t concern themselves with me then.

However, important business was taking place elsewhere. Large port constructions and military naval bases were commissioned in every coastal province currently without one; Fiume, Senj, Zadar, Split and Dubrovnik will all receive one.

But the most important move is the release of Montenegro. They have been released as a vassal; I will remain their formal head of state - the Prince of Montenegro -, and Croatia will maintain their foreign relations for them but they will manage themselves as they wish in other matters.

satellite.png

milacessandally2.png

Journal Entry 192, 31st March, 1884
I cancelled the capitalist encouragement program in Croatia state this month, which was showing no fruit, and replaced it with a program to encourage craftsmen.

Journal Entry 193, 31st July, 1884
Very little is happening in Croatia at the moment and so I have resorted to playing diplomatic games; relations with the Ottomans, the Austrians and the Russians all increased this month.

Journal Entry 194, 31st October, 1884
Since our land army was devastated in the war with Tuscany, a strong navy is required. Six new frigates and a new Man of War were commissioned in various ports this month.

Journal Entry 195, 31st March, 1885
Two events took place this month; breech loaded rifles were implemented, and a Senator began demanding free trade; I have to say I agree with him, but there is little I can do besides publically support this idea. I’m not ready to dispose of the ruling party. According to latest figures, my support has swiftly pushed public support behind the movement (10% more of the population desire it now), which is something at least.

guardc.png
[

In addition, an experiment to invent new and improved railways is in progress.

Journal Entry 196, 31st May, 1885
Austria gave us military access this month, but refuses an alliance and really, it aren’t in much of a condition to offer any assistance anyway. Two different rebel groups are currently rampaging through the countryside of Austria; Communists and Transylvanian Nationalists.

Journal Entry 197, 31st June, 1885
The first three frigates were completed this month, increasing our naval power by a large margin.

Journal Entry 198, 31st July, 1885
Greece granted us military access this month, which is of very little use right now but might come in handy.

Journal Entry 199, 31st October, 1885
The rest of the ships - 3 more frigates and a Man of War - were completed this month and added to a new fleet.

Journal Entry 200, 31st March, 1886
Relations with the United Kingdom were upped this month, rated at 20/200 by the Foreign Minister. In addition, a new brigade became available and was commissioned; however, they will be guards instead of infantry this time.

Journal Entry 201, 31st January, 1887
More relations boosts with the British, and the completion of all the naval bases took place this month.

Journal Entry 202, 31st March, 1887
The latest round of elections began this month; an unimportant event that has little bearing on life in the Kingdom for the moment.

Journal Entry 203, 31st July, 1887
This month upgraded railroad plans were completed, and made available to the royal engineers. Machine guns are the next great innovation to be invested in.

earlyrailroads.png

Journal Entry 204, 31st August, 1887
An article in the state newspaper has roused trouble this month. It criticized the nobles of Dalmatia, including a member of parliament, for their decadence and has roused the peasants into a fury. It even went as far as to claim that the nobles are spying for foreign powers.

In response I was forced to throw the editor of the paper into jail, and quietly dismiss that noble from parliament; I have discovered that the paper came much closer to the truth than anyone knows. This has made the poor of Dalmatia state highly militant though.

Journal Entry 205, 31st September, 1887
The Royal Party has kept its grip on parliament at the end of this election and is still the ruling party; surprise surprise.

Journal Entry 206, 31st December, 1887
Academies for the offices of the military opened this month, and now all noblemen who wish to become officers must attend. This has turned out to be a boon to the morale of the soldiers they lead.
aceademic.png

In addition, the two bullies of Europe - France and Britain - have been making major inroads into Africa and Asia, respectively. This came to my attention after the latest British war to conquer yet more of China began this month.

frenchafrica.png

britishasia.png

Journal Entry 207, 28th February, 1888
Looking over at Croatia’s neighbour, Austria, I am distress to see that they are in ruins. Five different rebel groups - Transylvanian Nationalists, Jacobins, Communists, Reactionaries and Anarcho-Liberals are all rampaging through Austria and their military is crushed. This prompts me to make consider a decision that might very well decide Croatia’s fate.

Journal Entry 208, 31st August, 1888
Quite suddenly at the beginning of this month, I receive notice that Austria has ceased to exist. Austria-Hungary has replaced it and additionally Siebenborgen has gained independence, while the rest of Austria is still over run by various rebels.

austriahungary.png

Journal Entry 209, 31st September, 1888
This month, I consulted the Foreign Minister, the Generals and then rallied the army, for Croatia is embarking on perhaps its most dangerous mission yet.

coresl.png

War with Austria-Hungary - still a Great Power despite its disintegrating realm.

However, of all our allies, only Montenegro will join us in this war. Greece, Lucca, Lombardia and Krakow have all deserted us.

Journal Entry 210, 31st October, 1888
By October we have set to sieging Vukovar province, while a formidable 22 thousand Austria-Hungarian men loom in the province next to us. In response, 11,000 of our men have been broken off from the main army and placed in nearby friendly lands; we don’t have the supplies in Vukovar to sustain both groups, but they can be called quickly as reinforcements if Austria-Hungary attacks.

Journal Entry 211, 31st November, 1888
By the time I write this, those 11,000 men have moved to sieging the Pecs region of Austria-Hungary.

Journal Entry 211, 31st January, 1889
Moving to attack an Austria-Hungary brigade of 3,000 men, our 11,000 men ran themselves into 26,000 Austrian Reactionaries before their commander could diver them. I was forced to abandon sieging Vukovar and have to send the 22,000 men there to reinforce the 11,000.

Yesterday I ordered the mobilisation of Croatia’s 4 reserve brigades, while to my joy, Bohemia-Moravia has declared war to liberate Moravia from Austrian-Hungarian hands.

Journal Entry 212, 31st February, 1889
Having defeated the rebels in Kaposvar, I ordered Croatia’s troops to unite into one group and attack a single isolated Austria-Hungarian brigade in Zalaegerszeg.

Journal Entry 212, 31st March, 1889
It was a slaughter, for both sides. Despite losing 5 times the troops they did, the Austrian-Hungarians can’t replace them - nearly all their provinces controlled by rebels or foreigners - while we can.
lotsofcausalities.png

Swiftly afterwards Zalaegerszeg came under our control. I ordered the troops to Sopron, one of Austria-Hungary’s very few free provinces.

Journal Entry 213, 31st May, 1889
10,00 soldiers were sent back to Zalaegerszeg this month, to battle a single brigade of rebels with the assistance of a brigade of Bohemian-Moravians. We won soundly, destroying the entire group of rebels.

Journal Entry 214, 31st June, 1889
The 11,000 men were moved to Budapest this month, to attack a brigade of Austrian-Hungarians. Our troops won soundly, killing 355 Austrian-Hungarians for 241 of our men.

Journal Entry 215, 31st July, 1889
I ordered the troops to chase the Austrian-Hungarian forces Kecskemet, where they slaughtered the remainder of that force. However, another singular Austrian brigade popped in Kaposvar and I had to order them after them, before our troops had even had time to rest.

Journal Entry 216, 31st August, 1889
This battle was longer than the others, and more costly. 1600 Croatians dead for 252 Austrian-Hungarian causalities, but we won. From now on I am just going to write a list of battles and seiges, as that is easier.

- August 5th, Sopron province falls to Croatian forces.
- August 15th, Pecs province, 18,000 Croatians vs 4,000 Austrian-Hungarians. Croatia is triumphant on 27th of August; 701 Croatian casualties, 976 Austrian-Hungarian causalities.
- September 3rd, Kaposvar province falls to Croatia.

Journal Entry 217, 31st September, 1889
Austria-Hungary called for white peace this month. I rudely expelled their diplomat in response, declining their offer. By now Bohemia-Moravia occupies the western quarter of Austria bordering their Venetian provinces, and we have three provinces under our control.

Journal Entry 218, 31st October, 1889
Austria-Hungary tried for white-peace again this month. We refused.
I had to raise tariffs this month though, to pay for rising military costs.

Journal Entry 219, 31st November, 1889
Austria-Hungary again requested white peace, a sign they are failing swiftly. They have lost great power status, Bohemia-Moravia occupies a third of their lands and I don’t think any of their military remains.

Journal Entry 219, 31st December, 1889
Austria-Hungary wants white-peace again. Again we refuse.​

Last edited:
Very nice, stomp A-H, let all the anger out.

Btw do you have the option to form Yugoslavia?
How is Serbia doing (I assumed allied and sphere by the Russians)?

@Gremlok
Haha. Yep. I've had fun stomping A-H into the ground and watching as most of Europe joined in (Spoilers!).

Serbia is static. Russia sphered, but not allied with Russia. It's allied with France.

I have the Yugoslavia decision, but can't use it. Need to aquire cores from Ottomans, Austria and Sienbenburgen first and become a Great POwer to do that, goals that won't happen. Ottomans are UK protected, I have to get out of the war with A-H soon before everyone else is finished with them, and Sienbenburgen is on the road to being a Great Power.

If you have cores on Bosnia, Serbia etc. then the infamy is not an issue. Not much of a consolation I know :)

You never know about the Ottomans, they are often fighting the Russians and there just might be an opportunity to benefit from that. Provided the UK doesn't intervene.

Chapter 10, Vienna Burns
--- The private journals of Jero Nazor, King of the Croats and Prince of Montenegro---
Journal Entry 220, 31st January, 1890
Austria-Hungary once again asked for a white peace this month, and in response I expelled their envoy and captured Novi Sad.

Meanwhile, Russia has declared war on Austria-Hungary. Austria-Hungary is surely doomed.

warfromrussia.png

Journal Entry 221, 28th February, 1890
This month we lost a battle in Novi Sad to rebels, Austria-Hungary pleaded for white peace once again, and I sent reinforcements to crush the said rebels.

Journal Entry 222, 31st March, 1890
Austria-Hungary continues to plead for mercy, even as Austrian rebels in Novi Sad and Sopron are crushed. Having capture Sopron, I ordered the troops to Szekesfehevar to occupy that province.

Journal Entry 223, 31st April, 1890
A brigade of Austrian-Hungarian troops were smashed in Bratislava, an unorganized rabble that stubbled straight into our army. Meanwhile, at long last the capitalists are shaping up and have built a luxury clothes factory in Croatia state.

Journal Entry 224, 31st May, 1890
A brigade of Austrian-Hungarian troops were routed in Sopron, a second Austrian-Hungarian brigade was forced to retreat in Eiesenstadt and third brigade of the same was annihilated in Gyor. I’ve also called up a newly trained brigade from Split to occupy Pecs province. Meanwhile, Austria-Hungary sent a pleading envoy to us, beginning for white peace. Refusal was swift.

totalwin.png

Journal Entry 225, 31st June, 1890
A second brigade of Austrian-Hungarians, who suicidally attacked our position in Eiesenstadt, where smashed again.

I also ordered a brigade of our troops to attack 2,000 Austrian-Hungarians in Maribor, and was then forced to reinforce them when the Austrian-Hungarians began to win the fight, however we won in the end.

Journal Entry 226, 31st August, 1890
Another brigade of disorganized Austrian-Hungarian rabble was annihilated by our troops in Gyor. However, at the moment, back home, Yugoslavian Pan-Nationalists are rebelling in five provinces*. However, to counter this worry, we captured Szekesfehevar this month.

yugos.png

Journal Entry 227, 31st September, 1890
Having captured Zalaegerszeg, Bratislava and Gyor, I ordered troops moved to Ljubljana. In addition, Russia requested and was granted military access from us this month.

milaccessrus.png

Journal Entry 228, 31st October, 1890
I was forced to send home 20,000 troops to combat rebels in Croatia this month. The rebels in Sisak crushed swiftly, and then the rest disbanded**, so I sent them to reinforce a besieged single brigade in Ljubljana; they defeated the Austrian rebels in that province too, before being sent to reinforce a brigade in Eiesenstadt.

Journal Entry 229, 31st November, 1890
Having defeated the rebels in Eiesenstadt, we ended up clashing with more rebels in Klagenfurt and winning there. Meanwhile, Switzerland has declared war on Austria-Hungary for Tirol. Austria is now besieged by Russia, Sweden, Croatia (ourselves), Montenegro, Switzerland and Krakow.
evilcrackle.png

Sienbenburgen already won its war with Austria-Hungary a while back*** and has taken the territory it demanded.

Journal Entry 230, 31st December, 1890
Things have just got worse for Austria-Hungary and better for us. Bohemia-Moravia has declared war on Austria-Hungary for Slovakia, and Sienbenburgen has declared war on Austria-Hungary for Central Hungary.

Meanwhile, this month Austria-Hungary begged once again for white peace and was refused.

Journal Entry 231, 31st February, 1891
From now on, a list of battle, sieges and events is most prudent.

- Battle: February 26th, Croatia vs Rebels, Ljubljana, 8300 Croatians, 6,200 Rebels - Croatia wins and rebels are annihilated.
- Battle: 4th of March, Croatia vs Austria-Hungary, Mitrovica, 3000 Austrians, 3000 Croatians - Croatia wins, as brigade was nearly recruited and appeared under them.
- Peace Request: 10th of March, Austria-Hungary pleads for mercy and is rejected.
- Capture of Province: 4th of May, Maribor and Klagenfurt fall to Croatia.
- Battle: 13th of May, Croatia vs Rebels, Mitrovica, 3000 Croatians, 3000 Rebels - Croatia wins as rebels were newly spawned and disorganized.
- Misc: 15th of May, Nejd goes bankrupt and gives us a reason to go to war with them, however they are inaccessible to us so we cannot follow up on it.
- Battle: 1st of June, Croatia vs Austria-Hungary, Mitrovica, 3000 Croatians, 3000 Austrian-Hungarians - Croatia wins as enemy were new recruits and disorganized.
- Occupation: 11th of July, Croatian troops begin occupation of Kacskemet.
- Misc: 25th of July, Russia wins its war with Austria, gaining West Galicia.
- Misc: 1st of September, Croatian elections begin.
- Capture of Province: 5th of September Mitrovica is captured by Croatian forces, who then move to occupy Pancevo.
- Capture of Province: 5th of September, Ljubljana is captured by Croatian forces, who move to occupy Budapest.
- Occupation & Misc: 8th of October, Austria-Hungary pleads for white-peace and is refused, while troops move to occupy Szeged.

Journal Entry 232, 31st October, 1891
Austria-Hungary bowed to our demands near the end of this month, and gave us Slavonia. It is an event worthy of celebration and the bells toll throughout the realm as we demobilise the poor and move to consolidate control. Immediately we gained a liquor factory that is under construction in Slavonia, and I ordered the construction of forts in all newly captured provinces.

slavoniacaptured.png

In the home provinces, I ordered upgraded railway tracks to be laid in all provinces except Karlovac, where capitalists have already done it for me. In addition, I order the construction of a new brigade of infantry.

Journal Entry 233, 31st November, 1891
Machine Guns were implemented this month, strategic mobility training will be taking place next. This includes drawing up plans for more advanced forts.

I also sent an envoy to the United Kingdom this month, raising relations.

Journal Entry 234, 31st December, 1891
I sent another envoy to increase relations with the United Kingdom this month.

Journal Entry 235, 28th February, 1892
A plentiful fish harvest in Split went noticed this month, when I redistributed some of the catch to the poor using royal prerogative.

Journal Entry 236, 31st May, 1892
Elections finished this month, the royal party in power once again. Meanwhile, yet another envoy has gone forth to coddle Croatia up to the United Kingdom.

Journal Entry 237, 31st October, 1892
A wave of industrialisation has taken place these past months, with an influx of new labour from our conquered territories. The factory in Slavonia has been completed, capitalists have begun constructing a liquor factory in Croatia state and I have commissioned a fabric factory in Slavonia state.

Journal Entry 238, 31st November, 1892
Capitalists began constructing a glass factory in Dalmatia this month.

Journal Entry 239, 31st December, 1892
A review of the budget was in order this month, and I find that money is plentiful, and pouring in.
budgetse.png

Journal Entry 240, 31st March, 1893
I gave the go ahead on a plan to restrict the building rights of minorities in our new provinces this month. I know it will be an unpopular move, but I feel it is required in order to assimilate the new population gains.

minorities.png

Journal Entry 241, 31st April, 1893
The redrawing of the maps was finished this month, and now I look upon a map where Austria-Hungary is destroyed. Its lands have been divided between Croatia, Sienbenburgen, Russia, Lombardia and Bohemia-Moravia, and what remains of their nation is split in half.

europej.png

Journal Entry 242, 31st May, 1893
Strategic mobility was completed this month, giving us new fort blueprints and a new set of policies for when retreat is most appropriate. A new form of art, classicalism and early romantism, is the next topic of research.

strategiv.png

Journal Entry 243, 31st June, 1893
Yet more Yugoslavian Pan-Nationalists rebelled this month, but only in Pola this time. They are swiftly killed off.

Journal Entry 244, 31st July, 1893
I ordered the construction of a new brigade this month, a brigade of Guards in Pola.

Journal Entry 245, 31st August, 1893
Six brigades of infantry were recruited this month, in various parts of the newly conquered Slavonia. Although they are from minority groups, they can still fight.

Journal Entry 246, 31st October, 1893
I ordered the construction of a glass factory in Slavonia state this month, to provide jobs for the swiftly expanding craftsmen strata. Meanwhile, the new railroads have begun being finished this month and will most likely all be completed by the end of November.

Journal Entry 247, 31st December, 1893
With the completion of the railroads in most states, I’ve ordered the construction of upgraded forts in Zagreb, Pola, Karlovac, Senj, Fiume, Pozega, Varazdin and Sisak

Journal Entry 248, 31st January, 1894
Two of the new infantry brigades were completed this month, and are now stationed in Osijek.

Journal Entry 249, 31st February, 1894
Another brigade of infantry was recruited this month, and added to those stationed in Osijek. In addition, the first book of Croatian classicism poetry was published this month, earning our authors international acclaim.

classicism.png

Romantism poetry is our next grand objective.

Journal Entry 250, 31st April, 1894
Two new brigades were completed this month, and joined the others in Osijek.

Journal Entry 251, 31st May, 1894
Our envoy to the United Kingdom popped by this month to let me know things are going well, and we are half way there to perfect relations with the UK, as a result of a new present and some extra flattery sent their way this month.

Journal Entry 252, 31st June, 1894
I received news this month that Bohemia-Moravia has decided to rename itself Czechoslovakia. There is no fundamental difference between the two nations though.

Journal Entry 253, 31st August, 1894
In August yet another brigade was completed, while I merged my two fleets to ready for perhaps another lot of action.

Journal Entry 254, 31st September, 1894
Let more relations boosts with the United Kingdom took place this month, with the delivery of some priceless Genoese artwork to the King.

Journal Entry 255, 31st October, 1894
October, and I begin handing out money. $20 a day goes to Egypt to assist them in fighting Spain, to begin my new campaign. Having more money than I will ever have a use for, this is a good tactic.

Journal Entry 256, 31st December, 1894
This month I handed $100 a day to Czechoslovakia, who is in a war with Austria-Hungary once again and $3460 a day to the United Kingdom, to assist them in invading China. This give Croatia a major relations boost with the UK, even if it is draining around $3000 from the treasury every 24 hours; however, with a backup supply of a million dollars in the treasury, this is very inconsequential.

Journal Entry 257, 31st March, 1895
New factories (three in fact, being built by capitalists) and two new infantry brigades herald that is this is a promising year.

Journal Entry 258, 31st April, 1895
Although we are stilling bleeding money to the UK, and have spent 200,000 in the last few months, we are still in good economic shape, while the world around us is changing its shape.

The Kingdom of Italy has formed this month, encompassed the Italian peninsula and uniting those normally bickering states; however the Pope has managed to weasel his way out of the unification and is still independent. Such a pity, the Papacy is an annoyance. In addition, Italy has jumped in to try and get a chunk of Egypt now that Spain has been beaten back by Egypt and its ally, the USA.

Meanwhile, Czechoslovakia is slowly eroding away Austria-Hungary in its continuing war,

Journal Entry 259, 31st July, 1895
With the UK’s war having finally ended with the British gaining yet more of China, we have stopped losing money and begun gaining again. In addition, the envoy tells me that our founding of an embassy in London has greatly improved our relations with the United Kingdom.

Journal Entry 260, 31st August, 1895
August brings two events; Austria-Hungary requests military access from us and is denied, and our first works of romanticism poetry are published, giving Croatia yet more internationals acclaim in art circles.

romanticism.png

In response, a government funded artists guild has been founded to work on a new grand work of gallery of realism art.

Journal Entry 261, 31st September, 1895
Romanticism has been adapted to music now, a famous melody by a Croatian composer in the style granting us yet more international acclaim this month. Meanwhile, gifting the original script of this piece to the British Museum has prompted a real boost to relations with the British Empire.

Journal Entry 262, 31st November, 1895
Romanticism literature, supposedly showing the great creativity of Croatian writers, hit the world stage this month. I find it a load of nonsense, but it has made our nation well known in literature circles.

The creation of signal detachments in our army has prompted an increased rating of efficiency too, according to the Minister of War.

Journal Entry 263, 31st December, 1895
Too much celebration in the Senate, Russia has offered us an alliance and assurance of their protection. I immediately agreed, and sent an Ambassador to set up a permanent embassy in Moscow.

russiae.png

As the last action of the month, in response to this, I have decided that further expansion of Croatian lands is required.

And so…

waregpytian.png

* My game is going weird, where some of the names of provinces are not included in the notification when rebellion breaks out. However, it’s only a small annoyance so I haven’t bothered looking into the problem.
** Not sure what happened here. The rebels just went poof and vanished.
*** Not sure when, wasn’t looking. However, it must have been a while ago because they declare war on Austria-Hungary again in December.​

Last edited:
Austria-Hungary's a total shell of her former self, that should make life a little easier and more comfortable for you. Hopefully the war in Egypt will bear sweet succulent fruit for you to pluck.

The Kingdom is looking a little stretched out there, you may want to annex Bosnia when the Ottomans are weak (how are they carrying on?).
So King Jero is not a fan of an independent Papacy?

@Persigny

It is a bit stretched, but I'm in no position to attack the Ottomans. They have alliances with the British, the French, the Spainish and the Prussians and haven't been worn down at all in this timeline.

Yes, Jero is not a fan of a papacy that is independent. However, it does weaken Italy significantly, at least. I'd much prefer that the papacy belonged to Croatia XD

@Saithis
Yes, I was overjoyed when that happened. A-H is mostly wrecked, which is great. However, having kept their core - most populous provinces - they still field an enormous amount of troops. Unless another "Let’s all smash A-H" happens, I can't do anything there. (I would love to acquire Austrian Istria, which is mega populous and would cut off A-H's sea access).

Last edited:
Maybe cause your Militancy dwindled. :p
And you missed another bracket:
Journal Entry 239, 31st December, 1892
A review of the budget was in order this month, and I find that money is plentiful, and pouring in.
IMG]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1849/budgetse.png[/IMG]

Ah, thanks for explaining that. And I will fix the bracket.

Also, while people are here, I suggest going over to the AARland Choice AwAADS for 2012 and voting for your favourite Vicky2 (or other Paradox game) AAR. Also, it’s a great way to find new AAR's to read, and to thank the authors of AAR’s you love :D

And by the way, this isn't self-promotion. I’m not even in the running as far as I know, I just want to encourage people to vote for some of the epic AAR’s that are out there. :p

Last edited:
Good to see Croatia is recovering rather well. I liked the daring attack upon A-H and it paid off handsomely, hopefully war with Egypt will prove no less successful.

Congratulations too, as I've chosen this excellent AAR as the new Showcase of the Week. Enjoy!

I tried to send you a reply via PM, but your inbox is full, according to system, so I'll say thanks here.

Thank you MorningSIDEr, I'm honoured! I'm not sure what I did to deserve such an honour - my AAR is rather plain, in my mind, compared to such epics as Empire of the Pacific and Nova Roman Imperium, but thank you! :D

Congrats and well deserved.

It shows persistence pays off - good job on continuing despite the initial setbacks

Congratulations on the Showcase, Croatia is certainly deserving of it. :)

Thanks everyone. And now a new update.

----------

Chapter 11, Both Success and Failure
---The private journals of Jero Nazor, King of the Croats and Prince of Montenegro---
Journal Entry 264, 31st January, 1896
With the support of the mighty Russian bear, the Croatian army has been loaded onto ships this month and sets sail for Egypt. And meanwhile, at home in Zadar I have ordered the training of a brigade of guards.

dumyatwar.png

Journal Entry 265, 28th February, 1896
At the beginning of this month the outrageously uppity Chamber of Commerce began demanding policy changes. Too bad, I say to them. I won’t bow to petty, powerless Senators.

chamberofcommerce.png

Meanwhile, the troops arrived in Egypt and unloaded into Dumyat province, Egypt.

Journal Entry 266, 31st March, 1896
The elections began again this month, while in Dumyat the Croatian troops ran into Egyptian’s and soundly defeated them.

Meanwhile, I have commissioned 6 new frigates, to be built in Pola, Fiume and Senj.

Journal Entry 267, 31st April, 1896
In April I dispatched another envoy to the United Kingdom, to increase relations. Little else happened this month. The troops have settled down to sieging Egyptian provinces.

Journal Entry 268, 31st May, 1896
Siebenburgen requested military access of us this month; I promptly refused.

Meanwhile, I discover to my horror that the United States of America have interfered in our war with Egypt … And no one bothered to tell me until the American navy had laid anchor in the Bay of Venice and offloaded 41,000 troops into Croatia.

invaders.png

Luckily we out number them even with half our troops in Egypt and we have Russia on our side.

Journal Entry 269, 31st June, 1896
After battling throughout May with the USA, I am forced to raise tariffs, recall the fleet and then retreat to Zagreb, having lost the Battle of Pola to the USA. It surprising loss but the USA’s technological advantage turned the tide and they steamrolled us - massacring 16,000 men in the process.

I am also forced to mobilise the poor strata, and order the training of a brigade of guards and a brigade of infantry.

Journal Entry 270, 31st July, 1896
This month, searching for possible allies, I sent an envoy to the court of the Italian King to increase relations. Meanwhile, Egypt managed to spring a trap and kill off a small brigade that was besieging Al Arish.

Journal Entry 271, 31st August, 1896
Having captured Dumyat province at the beginning of this month, we were forced to abandon the other sieges and group up in Zigaziq, when Egyptians troops surprised our forces this month.

Journal Entry 272, 31st September, 1896
Our troops were slaughtered in Zigagiq, 9600 of our men killed for 5000 Egyptians, despite they’re inferior technology.

In addition, one of the new frigates was completed, Pola has been lost to the Americans and even now our forces are battling with a smaller number of Americans in Fiume province.

Journal Entry 273, 31st October, 1896
Again, despite out numbering the enemy, we were slaughtered. The Battle of Fiume was lost, 16,000 Croatian’s lost with only 350 US causalities.

A second new frigate has been completed at least, while our forces in Egypt are left destroyed; all 20,000+ are now dead.

Journal Entry 274, 31st November, 1896
Seven new brigades - 6 infantry and 1 guard - are now in the training queue. However, blockaded by USA as we are, we are having trouble getting the required equipment for them.

In addition, the USA began offering white peace to us this month. We must refuse for the moment; It won’t be said Croatia gave up without a fight.

Journal Entry 275, 31st December, 1896
Having lost a battle in Karlovac, and with America capturing Fiume, I was forced to give in to America and agree to a white peace. The fleet has been withdrawn into dock, and the army has been demobilised.

whitepeace.png

I’m not sure what happened to Russia, but by the sound of it Egypt gave them a beating until they withdrew until the Ottoman Empire's territory - allies of Russia.

Journal Entry 276, 31st January, 1897
This month Austria-Hungary asked for military access and was refused, while Russia asked us into another war. This time with China, who wants to liberate somewhere I’ve never heard of and doubt I really need to bother about.

chinagoestowar.png

However, I agreed to support Russia and promptly loaded a luckless single brigade into boats, to be taken to the Crimea, from where they will march towards China.

Journal Entry 277, 28th February, 1897
A series of new forts, three new brigades and a new frigate were completed this month.

Journal Entry 278, 31st March, 1897
Another new brigade of infantry finished its training in Mitrovica this month.

Journal Entry 279, 31st April, 1897
Diplomatic relations took center stage this month. I discovered that Serbia is in the middle of a revolution, that Austria-Hungary has got itself into wars once again with Siebenburgen, Switzerland and Czechoslovakia, and I sent an envoy to improve relations with the UK.

warsonah.png

Journal Entry 280, 31st July, 1897
Our single brigade contribution to Russia’s war landed in the Crimea this month, and set off on the long march to China. Meanwhile, Serbia has finished its revolution and changed governments to an absolute monarchy … Which is strange when it was Jacobins who took over.

Journal Entry 281, 31st September, 1897
Yet more rebellion shook Croatia this month, the Yugoslavian Pan-Nationalists once again breaking out … this time in Novi Sad, a province which has never had any relation to Yugoslavia. They were quickly put down.

rebelsonceagain.png

In addition, while I wasn’t looking Spain has managed to acquire Austria-Hungarian Istria. This cuts Austria-Hungary off from the sea.

My response to this is….

warwithah.png

Journal Entry 282, 31st October, 1897
Realism art, poetry and writing took the stage in Croatia’s literary and artistic circles this month, while our forces set to work subjugating Austria-Hungary - who has no military, so it’s simply a case of sitting down to siege.

A new school of enlightenment philosophy is going to be built in Zagreb next.

Journal Entry 283, 31st November, 1897
We moved to siege Ljubljana this month, and ran into some Austrian rebels. I was forced to send in reinforcements, and I haven’t yet heard back from the field.

Journal Entry 284, 31st December, 1897
I found out this month that the rebels were soundly defeated, but just as soon as they were put down I was forced to end reinforcements scrambling to Pecs, in response to more rebels there.

Journal Entry 285, 31st January, 1898
We defeated the rebels in Pecs easily, and meanwhile China has begun requesting a white peace from us. So far I have refused.

Journal Entry 286, 31st February, 1898
Romanticist art came to people’s notice this month, with a number of new Croatian artists swiftly gaining fame in the style. In addition, China again requested white peace. I refused for now.

Journal Entry 287, 31st March, 1898
Anarcho-Liberals rebelled in several provinces this month, forcing me to pull troops from Austria-Hungary to combat them.

invasionprogressandrebe.png

In addition, China again requested white peace and was refused.

Journal Entry 288, 31st April, 1898
China continues to nag us, despite the horrendous costs of getting messages from China to Croatia, while two of the three rebellions have been put down.

Journal Entry 289, 31st May, 1898
Switzerland won their war with Austria-Hungary this month, almost doubling in size with the acquisition of Tirol state. In response, I swift moved Croatian troops in to capture the states Switzerland just left.

Journal Entry 290, 31st June, 1898
Austria-Hungary began asking for white peace this month, much to my amusement. In addition, the rebels in Zagreb were finally squelched and I was forced to send reinforcements scrabbling when an outbreak of Austrian-Hungarian rebels in every province of Austria-Hungary (including captured ones) endangered our war effort.

Journal Entry 291, 31st July, 1898
The enlightenment philosophy academy was completed this month, Austria-Hungary begged for white pace again, and we near lost the war to the rebels. However, they were finally squashed with the smart tactic of sending a force swiftly across Austria-Hungary, reinforcing each sieging brigade in turn and defeating the rebels before moving on to help the next force.

However, we lost two battles before reinforcements could reach them.

But what happened at the end of the month overshadows these events. Austria-Hungary bowed to our demands, and handed over a sizable chunk of their land.

wewin.png

mzp.png

Journal Entry 292, 31st August, 1898
This month we put down Austrian-Hungarian rebels who spilled into our new territory and started a new government funded project to build a wing for idealism in the state universities.

Journal Entry 293, 31st September, 1898
The war with China finally ended this month, before our brigade even reached China. I promptly recalled them.

This month, I have commissioned a project for new or upgraded forts in every province of Croatia, and also commissioned four new clipper transports.

Journal Entry 294, 31st November, 1898
Potential rebellion is a massive problem now. Communist tendencies fill the government and my advisors estimate 60 brigades of Communist rebels could take arms at any moment … they give me a nearly 50% chance that they will revolt.

problemif.png

Meanwhile, an envoy has been sent to Moscow to increase relations with Russia.

Journal Entry 295, 31st December, 1898
Two new frigates were completed this month.

Journal Entry 296, 31st January, 1899
Designs for field fortifications were invented this month, while I commissioned a winery in our new state of Transdanubia.

Journal Entry 297, 31st March, 1899
The rest of the new clippers were completed this month.

Journal Entry 298, 31st June, 1899
The Senate began demanding press reform this month, to which I responded with encouragement but for now nothing is going to happen in regards to that. Instead I presented a bill to reform the voting franchise, giving the rich and above the vote. It passed swiftly.

pressingconcerns.png

waitedwealth.png

Journal Entry 299, 31st August, 1899
The idealism wing of the new academy was completed this month. A new technology, mechanized mining, will be the next subject of research.

idealism.png

Journal Entry 300, 31st October, 1899
An infernal poet has been stirring problems, calling for a South German nation. I tell him to immigrate to Austria-Hungary!

I could have had him poisoned, but my advisors suggested against it so I have simply deported him and dumped him on my enemies.

Journal Entry 301, 31st December, 1899
Yet more problematic people have popped up, this time an underground printing group who are posting anti-government propaganda everywhere. My response was to call in the police and throw the lot in prison.

Journal Entry 302, 28th February, 1900
The new century has come, and with it new technologies. Mechanized mining has been implemented, giving my government a new factory blueprint.

mechanizedmining.png

A publishing industry (home clothes making industry) will soon be implemented, with government funds pouring into that cause.

In addition, two new brigades of guards have been set to train.

Journal Entry 303, 31st June, 1900
Russia has requested our aid in a war against Czechoslovakia. I readily agreed to assist, forcing me to mobilise the poor strata and march the army towards Czechoslovakia.

Journal Entry 304, 31st July, 1900
Two new far flung philosophies I can’t pretend to understand surfaced this month, but what I do know is that they are earning us prestige among the international community. Meanwhile, our force of 64,000 men marched into Czechoslovakia and ran into 38,000 of their men.

In addition, the implementation of a publishing industry has been completed. Bolt-action rifles are the next technology that I have spent government funds on.

publishing.png

Journal Entry 305, 31st August, 1900
Blueprints for a small arms factory reached me this month, with the implantation of small arms production. In addition, we lost to the Czechoslovakians and Austrian nationalists have broken out across the country.

Journal Entry 306, 31st September, 1900
The latest elections began this month, while our forces scurry around crushing rebels. Thankfully, Russia assisted and they were crushed almost immediately.

Journal Entry 307, 31st October, 1900
We were crushed in another battle in Bratislava this month, while an underground newspaper has begun circulating, advocating South German independence. However I can’t stop it without exposing my interference and so it has to be left to run.

Journal Entry 308, 31st December, 1900
We were crushed once again in Bratislava, and forced to flee back to Zagreb. I have no idea where the war will go now.​

Czechoslovakia! I think this might be the first time I see them emerge in this game. Central Europe has become very, very interesting in this game.

Shame about Egypt, but the Americans tend to get friendly with it, and then they can intervene whenever it's invaded. Your casualties against the US Army remind me of a similar predicament I once found myself, playing as Chile. White peace is the only solution in such cases...

And for a nation halfway across the world, they do a good job of interfering. They've beaten back 5 invasions so far, from Russia & Croatia, to Spain, Italy, the Netherlands and a few others.

Yes, central Europe is looking interesting. But not sure how things are going to go now, considering that Czechoslovakia is swiftly beating back Russia, who has many more troops than them, and has sphered Austria-Hungary.

Meanwhile, I discover to my horror that the United States of America have interfered in our war with Egypt … And no one bothered to tell me until the American navy had laid anchor in the Bay of Venice and offloaded 41,000 troops into Croatia.

This time with China, who wants to liberate somewhere I’ve never heard of and doubt I really need to bother about.

Clearly a most alert ruler with his finger on the pulse!

Good stuff as ever, I was very surprised by America's sudden apperance in your war against Egypt, a war I had thought you'd win very easily. Still, a whitepeace is not a terrible result in such circumstances and you've managed to take another sizeable chunk out of A-H which has given rise to a most momentous change; Croatia's font is finally on the map!