• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TreyFL3

Corporal
68 Badges
Dec 12, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities in Motion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
I'm playing as the Castillan (and now Navarran and Portugese) king and I've got a beef. I've given out quite a few duke titles (gets rid of 2 duchy limit, helps make friends, etc.) and had a few revolts by a Duke now and then. My problem is that if there's a Duke that has somehow (marriage and wars) obtained more than 1 duchy, after I defeat and imprison him, you can only take away 1 of the duchies without incurring a -20 penalty for all your vassals! :angry:

I think it's kind of absurd to have a traitor that's rotting in a dungeon still able to have a duchy. I'd be great to fix this in the next patch.

Anyone else notice this or have comments?

Handle it differently?

Leave them in the dungeon until they die, revoke their counties instead, execute them for the much smaller and manageable -10 penalty. I'll only revoke a duchy if I know they're unlikely to have the power to reclaim it.

Handle it differently?

Leave them in the dungeon until they die, revoke their counties instead, execute them for the much smaller and manageable -10 penalty. I'll only revoke a duchy if I know they're unlikely to have the power to reclaim it.

Banish the traitor and you get ALL their titles. Otherwise: yes, have to manage the situation one county at a time.

I think the point is rather that major land holders after civil wars rarely got wrist slaps, they usually got stripped of ALL their lands and sometimes the majority of the family members executed, there was arguably little view from other lords that this was in any way tyrannical. It could even be suggested that there could be a potential for lords to plot against you if you show weakness by not crushing rebel lords entirely.

I think the point is rather that major land holders after civil wars rarely got wrist slaps, they usually got stripped of ALL their lands and sometimes the majority of the family members executed.

Exactly. This is a brilliant game, there's just a few "quirks" here and there and it takes a bit to figure out some of how the game really works. I think this is just something that needs fixing - while there are other ways to "handle it differently" I just think it should be easier to take away his titles (first) and then execute the traitor. I believe that's what happened in history more often than not.

Maybe you can let them get powerful and lose a civil war over the crown and get knocked down to powerful duke status and plot your way back to the top again. Those are really fun situations.

You can banish him to revoke all his titles. Sure, you'll incur a large negative opinion modifier, but I doubt historically that feudal vassals were pleased with the systematic destruction of a dynasty by their liege, even if the leader of that dynasty was a traitor.