• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(422512)

Second Lieutenant
3 Badges
Dec 11, 2011
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Pillars of Eternity
They seem like the same country, both Ukrainian, same general provinces (a few are different, but close enough). What is the historical difference?

a quick wiki search shows a few possibilities, but having travelled around east Slovakia, there are lots of museums (especially good one in Svidnik) to "Rusyn" culture. I thought this was a small group, but apparently it's widespread around areas like Uzhgarrod. Modern day, it says, Rusyns are non-Ukranian Ukranians, if that makes any sense. Basically trans carpathians who aren't ukranian. I feel that's a better definition than the others listed. Therefore, Ruthenia would be a "Rusyn" homeland.

a quick wiki search shows a few possibilities, but having travelled around east Slovakia, there are lots of museums (especially good one in Svidnik) to "Rusyn" culture. I thought this was a small group, but apparently it's widespread around areas like Uzhgarrod. Modern day, it says, Rusyns are non-Ukranian Ukranians, if that makes any sense. Basically trans carpathians who aren't ukranian. I feel that's a better definition than the others listed. Therefore, Ruthenia would be a "Rusyn" homeland.

Not at all.

The Rusyn term is a self-appelation, just as the Ukrainian term is a self-appelation. These are the names used by those people that attribute themselves to those nations.

The Ruthenian term is a Latinism which was often used to denote the inhabitans of the old Kievan Rus and successor Rus states. Ruthenia was the Latin term of the lands of the Rus. So it means a broad region that engulfs central parts of European Russia, Ukraine and Belarus. The native populations never used the term "Ruthene". They used the terms Russian (Russkie, Rus'ke, etc). Later on Byelorussian, Velikorussian and Malorussian. Later on still Belarussian, Russian, Ukrainian.

There is some confusion because in some countries (Czech Republic, Slovakia, Serbia, Romania) the Rusyns are a recognised ethnic minority, which is sometimes called Ruthenian, Ruthene, Rutene and other derivatives. This is so for linguistic and historic reasons.

Disclaimer: Everything concerning the Eastern Slavs and their relationships between themselves can be a highly controversial matter. There are Russians who think the Byelorussians and Ukrainians are just regional groups of the Russian nation. There are Byelorussians who think they're, in fact, the true Lithuanians and the Lithuanians we know are just fake posers. There's Ukrainians who think they are the original Rus, whilst the modern Russians are just Scandinavo-Turkic offshoots without any claim to the name. Ukrainians also don't recognise Rusyns as a separate nation, considering them to be part of the Ukrainian nation. Very touchy. So don't be surprised if this thread gets out of hand!

Last edited: