• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't play this game, but I will buy it soon. Therefore I have some questions.
Can you get bastard children that are not of noble blood in this game? I believe that is what's called baseborn children (according to a song of ice and fire...)

So what happens if the king dies without a true heir? I know a legitimized bastard would do, but what are the requirements?
Can for example, if they exist in the game, a baseborn child take the throne if the king has no heir? And will the game continue in that case?

I've been reading a lot of aSoIaF lately... The Westeros mod seems cool.

I don't play this game, but I will buy it soon. Therefore I have some questions.
Can you get bastard children that are not of noble blood in this game? I believe that is what's called baseborn children (according to a song of ice and fire...)

So what happens if the king dies without a true heir? I know a legitimized bastard would do, but what are the requirements?
Can for example, if they exist in the game, a baseborn child take the throne if the king has no heir? And will the game continue in that case?

I've been reading a lot of aSoIaF lately... The Westeros mod seems cool.

You will, depending on your ruler's traits, get three options when you have a bastard.
1. Legitimize - they will be of your dynasty and can inherit
2. Acknowledge - they will be of your dynasty but cant inherit; you can legitimize them later on in the intrigue tab
3. Denounce - they will be of the mother's dynasty and cant inherit; also they cannot be legitimized later on

If the king dies without a proper heir the game will spawn a random courtier as the new king; which is stupid in my opinion.

If your the king and you have no heir of your dynasty, then its game over for you.

As for the westeros mod, never played it; gotta read the books first, but it does look like it is worth trying out.

A Father (not sure if Mothers can, seems unlikely) can decide to Legitimize any of his bastard children. It's with the political decisions on the Intrigue window.

Of course, this generally pisses off your wife... and the mother's husband...

No; a non-legitimized bastard is part of the mother's dynasty. (Now I'm curious how it works with queens in a matrilineal marriage -- I guess they can't have bastards.)

CK2, the only game where discussions such as these make sense.

Actually, a non-legitimised bastard is classed as Lowborn, not of either dynasty. Playing as a female ruler, it is indeed possible to beget a bastard, and you get the same option in the intrigue tab to legitimise them. Although I believe this only becomes possible if the father denounces the child.

Actually, a non-legitimised bastard is classed as Lowborn, not of either dynasty

But if you open his character window, it still says he is of your dynasty. Also, when you hover the cursor over the little black drop of blood on his portrait it says "xxx is a bastard of your dynasty"

Yep, if he is a "legitimized bastard".
I had a bastard king on my last game, his stats were so much better than my other sons :D

I had a similar thing happen in one of my games. His reign was pretty much the golden age. Not only was he a bastard, but I didn't think much of educating at the time as he was like 3rd in succession, so I send him to an Eqyptian and accidentally switched cultures and made my Catholic realm into a Sultanate.