• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I apologize for failing to comment on the <Ahem> 'Königsberg' <Shows off special character mastery - greeted with utter indifference> update. Busy days, etc. etc. I like your strategy of enveloping the city, rather than risking an assault, but others (more knowledgeable than me) seem to suggest your supplies will become an issue with that strategy.

And my, is that a fair amount of vitriol directed at Herr Kant. Not that I have anything meaningful to say on the matter (never had to read him - and his Wikipedia entry quickly bored and confused me)...

As far as the last update goes, I think this sums it up:

loki100 said:
The Austrian plan was simple ...
Anytime a plan is simple, I'm instantly reminded of Knut Knýtling and his less-than-stellar record with 'simple plans'. :p Still, it's a nice idea in theory and it has to beat not doing anything at all in that sector. :)

Just to say, we've found another bug in the game (its reported here). This unintentionally has given the Prussians a lot of extra manpower (ie removes one of the big constraints they face). Its a pity but this has ended up distorting the outcome (I believe) which rather diminishes my enthusiasm for the work needed to do an AAR this way.

If anyone is interested, the Konigsberg gambit worked and I took the city in late 1758, as well as being able to release raiding forces into Prussia. The hidden price was having to divert cash to buy 2 extra supply wagons for the Russians (& of course cash is one of the key constraints on the Austrian side). So did operating in Silesia (I believe) as I had Breslau and Glogau (the two VP cities) before everything fell apart.

I'm sorry about this, all the comments are really appreciated and this will be only the second attempted AAR I've given up on before bringing to a proper conclusion.

Sorry to hear that. You two certainly seem to have a knack for breaking the game, or baybe it's just that the miracle of the House of Bradenburg has a way of asserting itself even at this remove.

Two supply wagons for the Russians seems a small price to pay for getting them into the fight proper.

The bug Loki100 mentions profited me as I used it without knowing. I wanted to use OAM's trick to "overbuild" in a region by putting built units in brigade - and I did not notice that it was also giving me "free" MP. I noticed it later in the game, as Prussia was reduced to, well, Berlin, Magdeburg and North-Western Germany - but MP was plenty then. As I wanted to make sure I could create all my depot in the only safe place of Prussia (Magdeburg), I noticed this problem. This made the game unbalanced.

Sorry to hear that. You two certainly seem to have a knack for breaking the game, or baybe it's just that the miracle of the House of Bradenburg has a way of asserting itself even at this remove.

Two supply wagons for the Russians seems a small price to pay for getting them into the fight proper.

Well its more the solution to Narwhal's strategy to defend Koenigsberg, when he stacks up the defense, so you can't take it by a normal assault. What I did with the second depot to the south was to isolate the city and in theory I could tie down a strong well led corps with 3 of my own while the other 2 Russian corps+the cavalry go off into Prussia. He then realised he was trapped and weakened the defense, I got lucky with inserting 2 corps with defend-till dead orders on the province and it became the usual long siege and brutal battle.

But its a real price. 2 supply wagons cost about 250 currency units, the Austrian side gets around 80 per turn. That would buy about 6-8 depot battalions (ie 18-20+ replacement chits) or 3-4 line battalions (a new brigade). One of the game balances is the Prussian are manpower poor/cash rich, the Austrians are manpower rich/cash poor. So if a bug gives the Prussians more MP (or the Austrians more cash) its having a distorting effect on this balance.

However, a normal defense of Koenigsberg (the AI does this) is to pull out anything mobile and set it up for a siege. With the bonuses and the strong fort artillery, it can take 12-18 turns to get the breaches and the Russians will often lose a lot in the assault, so in effect the Russians are neutralised for 1757-8.

OAM being Bornego to us Paradoxians, right?

He is indeed

It's a shame that it ended, but the two of you have already endured your fair share of game kinks along the way. So... Outcome: inconclusive. Somehow, I doubt we've seen the last of you two duking it out. :)

Thanks for the AAR as long as it lasted and happy hunting in your future endeavors.

I'll echo the sentiments of the other commenters, it's a shame this is over. Interesting and a jolly good read as always.

One question, can Prussia win or do the Austrian numbers always prevail. After all real life was pretty damn close to 'Alien Space Bat' territory.

A shame. This has been an amazing AAR. I would have loved to read more.

Well played, both of you! This was the most balanced game, I have seen so far from you two. Loki100, you have clearly closed the experience gap that allowed Narwhal to snatch victory in your earlier AARs.

Any chance there will be a new AAR from either of you in the near future? ;)

It's a shame that it ended, but the two of you have already endured your fair share of game kinks along the way. So... Outcome: inconclusive. Somehow, I doubt we've seen the last of you two duking it out. :)

Thanks for the AAR as long as it lasted and happy hunting in your future endeavors.

Its a pity that we triggered a set of small bugs with the new patch. Sometimes we just went back a few turns (so we restarted once the ultra-powerful Hussar but was found), moved back about 6 turns when Bautzen with a single HRE battalion enacted Stalingrad (which is more or less where we've given up). Others we just carried on, so the 'no move with return orders' (ie a circular move) bug hit us both, but it was the reason that Narwhal escaped bad damage in his retreat around Prag, but equally one of my corps escaped damage due to it. The last one we found was critical (I believe) to where we got to in the end. I lost one French army due to a mistake and Narwhal's trademark aggression but by that stage manpower on both sides had equalised when it should have been in my favour. In trying to redeem it (& I'd constricted Prussia to very little room), the other French army ended up starving. Now I think it was heading for a bloody drawn out draw as I couldn't see how to apply the final blow without these defeats but with the extra manpower (& it was totally unintentional and only came to light as Narwhal only had 1 safe recruitment city), it was heading quickly out of control.

Too bad this is over, but I enjoyed it for as long as it lasted :).

Don't worry there will be more ... soon.

I'll echo the sentiments of the other commenters, it's a shame this is over. Interesting and a jolly good read as always.

One question, can Prussia win or do the Austrian numbers always prevail. After all real life was pretty damn close to 'Alien Space Bat' territory.

Well if the MP bug hadn't intervened, I think it was heading for a drawn out tussle with neither able to apply the killing blow. The problem was that Narwhal had not much less in the field than I did, and that similarity+much better leaders+much better troops is quite important and the game just fell out of control thereafter.

A shame. This has been an amazing AAR. I would have loved to read more.

Well played, both of you! This was the most balanced game, I have seen so far from you two. Loki100, you have clearly closed the experience gap that allowed Narwhal to snatch victory in your earlier AARs.

Any chance there will be a new AAR from either of you in the near future? ;)

Yes there will (most likely), but it will be gameplay based not anything more clever. I think the other thing I've learnt in this AAR is that PBEM/MP is not conducive to a History Book treatment. To me (& this is only my view of the format) it works best when the in-game events and what happened are loosely aligned (so its not a re-enactment, but you can grab props from reality to scaffold the story). In truth, MP is about beating the hell out of your opponent and its a tussle of wills between two people mediated by the game engine. The constraint/restraint needed is missing.

If you look at my Great Patriotic War, I gave the German AI numerous boosts to make things like 1942 a genuine threat and then the Soviet entry into Germany a real hard fight for every vilage (& myself a boost to generate a siege of Leningrad). If that had been MP, it would have been no holds barred, if I could have won by entering Berlin in early 1943 that is exactly what I would have done.

However, we are going to start again, and I will generate an AAR on it (I feel guilty at abandoning any such project), but it'll be game descriptive.

thanks to all

As everyone else has been saying it is a real shame that this has come to a premature end, it's proven a very enjoyable read thus far. I really hope this isn't the last AAR based upon a game between you both, I've enjoyed every such AAR you've written. The best thing about said AARs is that the contest between you both has been getting ever more evenly matched, thus hopefully there is at least one more.