+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: about the helmets

about the helmets

Hi,

one thing I missed in Warband was the ability to do some specific actions like to open and close your visor before a battle or to completely get rid of the helmet. Afterall a full helm is not supposed to be worn in melee combat but for horse charging only. A great helm would have been taken off, while a visor would be opened to allow you a better sight.
    This would be a great feature to add be it just for the awsomeness to greet someone by opening your visor or say you're ready to fight by closing it. Often in Warband I let my sword sheathed only to take it out right before the action.

Also the ability to yell would be awsome. In warband you can only do it while on your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Siegbert85 View Post
    Hi,

one thing I missed in Warband was the ability to do some specific actions like to open and close your visor before a battle or to completely get rid of the helmet. Afterall a full helm is not supposed to be worn in melee combat but for horse charging only. A great helm would have been taken off, while a visor would be opened to allow you a better sight.
    This would be a great feature to add be it just for the awsomeness to greet someone by opening your visor or say you're ready to fight by closing it. Often in Warband I let my sword sheathed only to take it out right before the action.

Also the ability to yell would be awsome. In warband you can only do it while on your horse.
    I have to say I completely dissagree ... if you were to dismount do you think you'd ditch a key bit of equiptment for keeping you alive? ... simply answered "Of course not". They would wear full helmets in close quarters combat, it would of course have its ups and downsides, helmets were pretty strong and could cause glancing sword blows and possibly the odd mace blow but obviously you would loose that bit of sight due to the enclosed helmet. You'd be pretty surprised as to how good people could see out of the helmet and how good they could fight with one on.

You could look on youtube but there are quite a lot of bad exmaples on there, but if your looking at it from a sight point of view you'd find that people can still do pre-organised fighting as well as spontanious fighting with a full helmet or face helmet on that obstructs or narrows the view.

Although I agree with opening and closing visors, it had been discussed on another thread in this section about what could happen to someone when that happens.

Achtung PanzerHearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSword of the Stars II
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesWar of the Vikings

Blog Entries
    Hi,

+1 although I fear your out of luck as this will be primarily a wonder woman view game.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireSemper FiMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Opening visors, yes

Ditching incredibly expensive and useful helmets, fuck no.

I mean that's just a bit silly right there. Especially considering great helms are a thing of the past in this era, you will ALWAYS be able to open the visor. There is just no logic to throwing away protection like that in the middle of a fight.

I'm also fairly certain that people in a battle will not sheathe their swords until they actually come face to face with an enemy...but that's your personal silly choice :P
    "There are no limits to what science can explore."

-Ernest Solvay, Belgian Chemist

I think you got me wrong. I wasn't demanding to throw away your helmet, but to take it off. A great helm for example is attached to the armor by a chain. They were used for lance charges and taken off in close combat. The knights wore a so-called cervelliere a sort of mini helmet beneath it.

I wore a great helm once so I can tell you can barely see anything, totally unfeasible for melee combat.

Of course in late 15th century you wouldn't take the helmet off in a combat situation, but still open your visor.
    However there could be situations where you want to take off the helmet, be it just for waiting, or fooling around, or taking clan photos... I'd like to see that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1990 View Post
    I'm also fairly certain that people in a battle will not sheathe their swords until they actually come face to face with an enemy...but that's your personal silly choice :P
    Why not? A sword is heavy so I wouldn't want to carry it all the time unless needed.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteKing Arthur IIMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses

In the gameplay of War of the roses you see that the game is (at this time) only in 3rd person playable (the shooting view is in 1st person i know ^^). Its useless to open/close the visor.

Iam sorry for my bad english.
    regards NIN3

"Don´t read my boring signature, go out and meet your freinds ^^."

"Noch sitzt ihr da oben, ihr feigen Gestalten – vom Feinde bezahlt, dem Volke zum Spott!

Doch einst wird wieder Gerechtigkeit walten – dann richtet das Volk, dann gnade euch Gott!" Theodor Körner [sry but its german]

Yes, sure. It would however be a cool movement you could do to make the game look a little more interessting. As in ArmA you have Saluting or Sitting down... also irrelevant for combat gameplay yet interessting.

I for once would like to lift my visor to greet a friend when I see him on the battlefield... in Warband people started hopping around or upwards blocking to get the people's attention. You could as well lift your sword (like in the movies when someone is ordering an attack or makes a heroic speech :P )

They were talking about adding some features for having a closed visor helmet, I think.

I remember the old gentleman duel times in warband...
    Taking the helm off completely would be just awesome,but only if you can pick it up again,its like a roleplay option.
    Imagine also removing your breastplate in duels to make the duel fair or more worthy!

Ah, grüß dich, Valgard

Quote Originally Posted by Valgard Greyjoy View Post
    Imagine also removing your breastplate in duels to make the duel fair or more worthy!
    I think removing your breastplate is a complicated thing to do. You would need the help of others, if I'm not mistaken. However you can throw away your weapons, why not also your helmet? I'd like to see my opponent's face before challenging him

Ah, grüß dich, Valgard

I think removing your breastplate is a complicated thing to do. You would need the help of others, if I'm not mistaken.
    Servus Siggi,

Yes of course, but it would be awesome!
    i would wait the 2 min ingame time just to see how a duel is prepared in an epic way!

Maybe you could lend your opponent a hand to get him ready more quickly ;P

I think you got me wrong. I wasn't demanding to throw away your helmet, but to take it off. A great helm for example is attached to the armor by a chain. They were used for lance charges and taken off in close combat. The knights wore a so-called cervelliere a sort of mini helmet beneath it.

I wore a great helm once so I can tell you can barely see anything, totally unfeasible for melee combat.

Of course in late 15th century you wouldn't take the helmet off in a combat situation, but still open your visor.
    However there could be situations where you want to take off the helmet, be it just for waiting, or fooling around, or taking clan photos... I'd like to see that as well.

Why not? A sword is heavy so I wouldn't want to carry it all the time unless needed.
    Pretty sure that's what its all about.
    Amiright or amiright lol
    Check out my Archery suggestion - http://alturl.com/o52iz
    And my gaming channel - http://alturl.com/tyfoq

It was my initial idea, yes ;P

Maybe you could lend your opponent a hand to get him ready more quickly ;P
    well if your not in a full plate but u have a breastplate on you should be able to remove it on your own,but ye i would help him "undress" ....and than stab him...sounds weird

Am I the only one who thinks a massive fistfight between two groups of knights would be awesome?

Anyways, I think its a cool idea and should definitely be thought about. Heck, I wouldn't mind the visor obscuring your view somewhat just to encourage the feature's use (and also allow heavy helmets to really be as strong as they were back then).

one thing I missed in Warband was the ability to do some specific actions like to open and close your visor before a battle or to completely get rid of the helmet.
    They never had that function in Mount & Blade?

Afterall a full helm is not supposed to be worn in melee combat but for horse charging only. A great helm would have been taken off, while a visor would be opened to allow you a better sight.
    Yes, because you were there during the 15th century.

Personally, I think it would be a pointless feature. Yeah, I do agree it would be cool to have such a function in the game- perhaps more easier to choose your helmet as either opened or closed in the customization menu -But I doubt this is even something worth working on. You're going to be too engaged into combat to worry about whether your visor is opened or closed. Seriously dude?

How do you yell on a horse in Warband? Your guy yells when you are charging towards an opponent with a swing in hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighvatr View Post
    They never had that function in Mount & Blade?
    No, you're bound to your customization.

Personally, I think it would be a pointless feature. Yeah, I do agree it would be cool to have such a function in the game- perhaps more easier to choose your helmet as either opened or closed in the customization menu -But I doubt this is even something worth working on. You're going to be too engaged into combat to worry about whether your visor is opened or closed. Seriously dude?
    Seriously, yes. I think you underestimate the need for recognition many players feel :P
    Many are playing topless with just a 2h axe just to show off how cool they are. ^^

For me a game isn't just about playing by the rules but to be the person you're displaying. So when a knight passes me by lifting his hand or opening his visor to greet me I feel a little more like I'm in this world rather than just a pawn in a game. I can also imagine to have some voice/gesture commands like an arm waving forward and the character yelling "Attack!". I like things like that in other games such as Red Orchestra 2. It simply builds up atmosphere which I find very important in a game.

How do you yell on a horse in Warband?
    Not yelling, rather rearing up and neighing. It's Ctrl+F.

Your guy yells when you are charging towards an opponent with a swing in hold.
    He does? Guess I never do this...

The sign that you want to duel somebody is to manually up-block. I've always thought that people going topless with 2-handed axes were nutters. considering the fact that there is an archer at every bend, curve, nook, and cranny.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighvatr View Post
    The sign that you want to duel somebody is to manually up-block.
    Proves my point that gestures are wanted :P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast