• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BillGrant

Captain
11 Badges
Feb 24, 2012
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
Hey guys, I just came from the website Nation States, anyone play it ? Anyway, I picked up Vicky II, tried it out long story short, after reading all of your great AAR's I decided I wanted to do one. Now, this is my first AAR ever. It's going to be a history book style

Chapters:

Chapter 1- War and Rebellion: 1835-1838

Chapter 2- Growth and Reconstruction: 1838-1845

Chapter 3- Economic Turmoil and Hopes Dashed: 1845-1851

Chapter 4- Expansion, Industrialization and good times: 1851-1857

Chapter 5- A Nation Divided and Intervention: 1857-1865

Chapter 6- Post War America: 1865-1869

Chapter 7- War of the Coalition and New Growths: 1869-1874

Chapter 8- The Great Expedition and Imperialism: 1874-1879

Chapter 9- The Scramble For Africa and the Pacific Wars: 1879-1884

Chapter 10- The Reactionary Revolution: 1881-1889

Chapter 11- Caruso takes Charge: 1889-1898

Chapter 12- A New Century: 1898-1904

Chapter 13- Weathering the Storm: 1904-1914

Chapter 14- The Red Scare: 1914-1920

Chapter 15- A Grave Decision and different destinies: 1920-1926

Chapter 16- Peace Doesn't always prevail: 1926-1931

Chapter 17- The Wrath of Fascism: 1931-1936

Epilogue

That's them so far. Now I'm gravely sorry, I can't post screenshots of my Texan game, I don't know how to, so I would rather put historical pictures that have to do with the AAR, I'll try my best !

My goals: Have a large chunk of North America under Texan Control, at least be a Secondary Power, I don't care if I don't make it to GP. I will go from Texan Independence to the Onset of World War II

Will update this thread with more Chapters !

Last edited:
Now I'm gravely sorry, I can't post screenshots of my Texan game, I don't know how to, so I would rather put historical pictures that have to do with the AAR, I'll try my best

Hi check out the links in my signature to the FAQ for AARland, that'll help you with both taking screenshots and uploading. Nothing wrong in an AAR with no in-game images if that is what you want to do, but you still need to solve the issue of getting other images onto the forum & for that you'll need to use one of the many image hosting sites

Hi check out the links in my signature to the FAQ for AARland, that'll help you with both taking screenshots and uploading. Nothing wrong in an AAR with no in-game images if that is what you want to do, but you still need to solve the issue of getting other images onto the forum & for that you'll need to use one of the many image hosting sites

Now do I have to use an Image Uploading website, or can I just copy and paste in

I always enjoy Texas AARs, a challenging nation to play but a very rewarding one if you overcome said challenge.

Now do I have to use an Image Uploading website, or can I just copy and paste in [IMG] ?[/QUOTE]

You'll have to use an image hosting website. You are not allowed to link an image from another website unless you have the permission to do so.

CHAPTER 1: War and Rebellion

Texas was a just a region in Mexico. Mexico at this time, was larger than the United States, and equal to military power, the only thing Mexico was lacking was a Navy. Colonists had arrived in Texas in 1822, settling there, mostly from the United States. By 1834, more than 30,000 Immigrants from the U.S were in Texas. Texans were not very fond of the Mexican Religion law that made Texans Roman Catholic. Some were other religions and it angered them. The Issue though that had cut the line between Texas and Mexico, was that Mexico, now under Antonio Lopez De Santa Anna, had banned slavery in Texas.

Slavery was now a Federal Prohibition and would be enforced brutally by the Mexican Armed Forces. Beginning in October 2, 1835, riots broke out Texas, Santa Anna sent an Expeditionary force. 300 Texans were massacred in what now is Austin. Bayonetted after they surrendered. Nicknamed, the Bloody Austin Massacres.

October 8 1835, a Texan Congress is formed, their first President elected was Samuel Houston. The Congress and Houston sign the Declaration of Independence from Mexico.
samhouston.jpg

The first major battle of the War occurs at Gonzales. An Army of 3,000 Mexicans, attacks a Texan Army of 900. 40 Mexicans were killed, and 28 Texans were lost. But, the Mexicans did retreat from Gonzales. The Victory raised Texan morale, but Houston had noticed that Texas had no standing Army, and no Central Military leadership.

James Bowie, was named head of Texan forces in November of 1835. Houston and the Texan Congress had sent out Army Recruitment Signs all over the Country. Volunteers were pouring in, mostly from the United States, veterans of Gonzales, and even some volunteers coming from British Canada. The Grand Army of Texas was made in December of 1835, 9,000 men strong.

Santa Anna had heard of the news of the creation of the Grand Army of Texas. He was now becoming worried, the Revolution was slowly gaining momentum and steam. He needed to end it quickly. A Mexican Army, comprising of 20,000 troops are ready to enter the battlefield. The Two Forces meet at San Antonio, in February of 1836. The Texans are able to hold off the Mexicans in another victory. But 300 Texans were killed. One problem with the Grand Army of Texas, it had no organization, no uniforms. The Texan Army of 1836, is a Primitive, inexperienced force that has much to learn.

The United States wanted nothing to do with the Revolution happening in Texas. But they did encourage Volunteers to the Texan Army. The U.S senate pressured President Jackson to Influence Mexico, and possibly Intervene. Jackson wanted nothing to do with it. The Battles of Houston and Dallas followed, both Texan Defeats. Texas had lost 1,000 men in both battles. By April 0f 1836. The Texan Grand Army was now losing morale and Supplies. Disease was commonplace in the war as well. In January of 1837, the Texan Army was down to 6,000. Another problem. Texas was now on the brink of Bankruptcy. They had owed many nations money for Supplies, clothes, food.

The U.S Senate was hammering President Jackson to Intervene on Texas' Side. The U.S Senate believed if the United States entered the war, Victory could be achieved easily. In June of 1837, the United States Officially entered the War and Declared War on Mexico. The United States was well prepared for the war. They had 3 Armies. The U.S Dragoons, The Army of Observation, and the Army Of South. All were ordered to Texas.

U.S Soldier during the war:

498952143zwyj7m.jpg

In July of 1837, U.S Troops entered battle with Mexico. The better trained U.S Army was able to defeat Mexican Forces in several Battles. But, Santa Anna was eager, and determined to crush the American Invasion and the Army of Texas. Santa Anna would get one of those wishes done in August of 1837, when an Army of 12,000 Mexicans ran into the Grand Army of Texas at Lubbock The Biggest Battle of the War ensued. After hours of fighting, the ground was strewn with the Bodies of Texan Troops, 5,900, just about the whole Texan Army had been killed, 1,000 Mexicans were killed. Both the Governments of Texas and the U.S were shocked at the amount of Massacre and Bloodshed that had occurred at Lubbock. There would be nothing stopping Santa Anna now from Marching into Austin. Houston and the Texan Congress had fled to Louisiana. Mexican Armies were now occupying Texan States, and Santa Anna had entered Austin.

Battle Of Lubbock:
tobeysbattleofthealamob.jpg

Now In September of 1837, Santa Anna had requested peace from both Texas and the United States. Mexico would sign a cease fire with the U.S, and Texas would be Re-Annexed into Mexico, and Leaders to be hung, or pledge allegiance to the Mexican Flag. Houston stated that. "I would rather be hung than Pledge Allegiance to that damned flag". The U.S refused peace as well. In that same month, Houston and the Texan Congress had decided that Slavery was an evil practice, reportedly, Houston had seen a Slave being whipped in Louisiana while touring the streets and passing a Southern Plantation. The Texan Government outlawed Slavery. Houston had just ended what the war originally started for. Houston now believed it was now a war over Independence.

Texan citizens were not pleased. Riots were started in the streets of Texas. Houston had stated, "If we are to Capitulate, let it be when we are sovereign". U.S forces were winning Victory after Victory against Mexico in the final months of 1837. The most decisive being the battle Of Las Cruces, Mexican Forces were routed and ended in a casualty count of 3,000.

Battle Of Las Cruces:
chapultepec-marines-story.jpg

By February Of 1838, Santa Anna and the Mexican Government were weary of fighting any longer. Their Casualty count had gone up drastically with the U.S entrance into the war. Santa Anna asked for Peace Terms from Texas and the United States. Delegates from the three countries had met in the Capitol 0f Texas, Austin. The Treaty of Austin was signed. The Treaty contained that Mexico will respect the Territorial Sovereignty and Integrity of Texas, The Territories of San Antonio, Lubbock, Austin, and Dallas will be ceded to Texas. Mexico Reluctantly signed.

Treaty Of Austin:
treatyguadalupehidalgo.jpg

Texas' Government and Citizens were jubilant with celebration. The new national Flag of Texas was hung in every house around the country as a reminder to their bloody fight for Independence. 10,000 Texans died during the Revolution. In February 8th 1838, the Texan Republic was Proclaimed

flagtexas.jpg

Last edited:
Again, like morningSIDEr correctly pointed out before you started, you'll have to upload your images into an image hosting site (Photobucket, Imageshack etc.) and link from there. The way you're doing it now is basically stealing the bandwidth from a bunch of websites.

Fix this ASAP.

CHAPTER 2:Growth and Reconstruction

Mexico was now humiliated for their defeat in the Texan War Of Independence. The great powers now recognized Texas as an Independent country. Prussia, The United Kingdom, France, and the United States. However, Texas was not a Secondary power, Texas at this time was very weak. They had no Army to speak of, of course no navy. But the United States pledged support for Texas if they went to war with Mexico again.

Texas was now in U.S sphere of Influence. Now with Slavery removed in Texas, escaped Slaves from Louisiana would escape to Texas instead of Canada. Texas' "Father" nation is going through a time of racial tensions. Should the United States be Slave or Free ? The United States passed several laws to try and bypass the Tensions brewing. President Van Buren was extremely worried that Civil War would break out in the United States. Van Buren passed the Fugitive Slave act, and the Kansas Nebraska Acts in 1838.
martinvanburen.jpg

Van Buren pressured Houston to have the Fugitive Slave Act passed in Texas. Houston would not do it. Houston and the Texan Congress were firmly anti slavery. They even encouraged Slaves to escape to Texas. This flamed tensions between Texas and the United States, but since Texas was in the U.S sphere of Influence, Texas and the U.S remained close Allies. After the Texan War of Independence things were very quiet in North America. However War was brewing in South America.

Spain was at War with Morocco for the Taza Region. And Prussia and Austria were at War with Holstein and Denmark. Texas' Economy was in shambles. They were heavily in debt, and little income was coming in. The Ottoman Empire was in heavy debt as well, thanks to their war with Tripoli. Texas' Taxes were increased and funding for the military was reduced. Houston and the Texan Congress encouraged recruitment in to the Texan Army to prepare for a possible second war with Mexico.

A rising Nationalist Feeling was growing in the United States. Manifest Destiny. That the United States had the right to rule North America from the Atlantic to the Pacific.
manifest-destiny3.jpg

Houston wanted the United States to go war with Mexico again. Many Texans lived in the Mexican Provinces of El Paso and Laredo. Houston wanted these Provinces in the Treaty of Austin, but in order to have peace with Mexico, in could not. He also wanted Oklahoma. Houston feared that if Mexico, or the United States got a hold of Oklahoma, they would abuse the Native American Population there. Unfortunately Mexico had gotten the territory of Oklahoma. Lucky for Houston, Mexico did not immediately move the native population.

Election of 1840. The new Texan Presidential Elections were ready to see who would become Texas' Second President. David G Burnet was elected the second President Of Texas, just barely defeating Houston.
1989105davidburnetlg.jpg

Burnet had the same Anti Slavery Policies as Houston did. Burnet noticed that the Texan Population was extremely small, only 35,000 Burnet encouraged Immigration to Texas, calling a "Heaven of Democracy". Instead of Foreign people coming to the United States, Texas was the new nation to start a new life, Burnet offered Farmers 30 Acres for free. Immigration Skyrocketed, by 1844, the Texan Population was now 200,000

By 1845, the New Grand Army of Texas was created, 25,000 Regulars, organization, uniforms and everything.
ussoldiers.jpg

Soldiers of the Grand Army of Texas

In 1845, the United States offered Texas to become a state in the United States. Burnet refused. Believing that too many good men died in the Texan War Of Independence, just to become a state in the USA. Texas Ultimately Declined the offer. President Polk then offered 10 Million. Again, Burnet Refused.

Last edited:
CHAPTER 3: Economic Turmoil and Hopes Dashed

The Election of 1845. Burnet decided not to run for Re-Election. The Election was extremely quick, and Mirabeau Lamar won with almost no opposition, winning 97 percent of the votes, beating candidate Anson Jones.

1989106lamarlg.jpg

Texas was In Economic Turmoil more than ever. Texas was 500,000 In Debt, mostly to the United States. Texas was still on the verge of bankruptcy. Texas' Neighbor and father nation, the United States, was brewing with Racial Tensions. In 1847, Abolitionist John Brown led an Unsuccessful Slave Rebellion and a Raid on Harper's Ferry. He was captured by U.S Federal Troops and ultimately was hung. Abolitionists in the Northern U.S, as well as The Texan Congress and President Lamar mourn his death.

johnbrown1sized.jpg

Racial Tensions were now at the boiling point in the United States, some Southern States were talking of Secession From the Union. President Polk passes Many Legislation's to try and end a possible Civil War. South America is at war with each other, most of the Southern American nations Bullying Bolivia. In 1848, Former Texan Founding Father, and President, Sam Houston suffered a debilitating stroke, which left him unable to talk or see, he also lost movement in his right arm. He died the next day. The whole nation was Awestruck with grief upon hearing of Houston's Death.

He was buried with the Texan Flag wrapped around him, and was buried in Austin. Even Mexican President Santa Anna showed his condolences. The same year, in 1848, the possible dreams of a War of Liberation against Mexico were dashed when the Manifest Destiny Feeling in the United Slowly died off, and Mexico and the United States signed a treaty of Non Aggression and Mexico was inducted into the U.S Sphere of Influence. Texas was now not allowed to attack Mexico.

In 1849, Two Great Powers sparred off in Europe. Prussia and Austria were at War. However, Prussia's Allies agreed to go to War with Austria. Austria could not hold up to the Military Powers of the small German Minors, and the Military Powers of Prussia. Austria was ultimately defeated, and was forced to admit Hegemony to Prussia. The German Minors were annexed into Prussia and the North German Federation was proclaimed in 1849. Otto Von Bismarck was made Kaiser of The newly formed NGF.
pebcd003ottovonbismarck.jpg

Bismarck in 1850.

Texas was still stricken with Economic Turmoil. The New President David J Grant, had tried to end the Texan Financial Crisis. He eventually paid all debts back to the United States, and finally had income coming into the Texan Economic machine. He also wanted to create the Texan Navy.

sherman3b.jpg

4th President of the Republic of Texas, David J Grant

Last edited:
Chapter 4: Expansion, Industrialization, and Good Times

President Grant had won the election of 1849. He Sought to make Texas a powerful nation, and a world power on the world scale. In 1852, he signed a bill for the creation of the Grand Navy of the Republic Of Texas. The Texan Congress did not think the Bill could be physically done, and that Texas did not have enough money to build any ship. Texas used Privateers as their Navy. Grant thought that was ineffective. He wanted physical ships. He ordered 3 ships to be built. The Texan Congress was in dismay. The TNF Sam Houston, a medium sized frigate, the TNT Burnet, and the TNT Jackson. 1 Frigate and two transports.

seasailingfrigateship35.jpg

TNF Houston

Texas now had a Navy, and was now equal to Mexico in power. On top of creation of a Navy, during the late 1840's, and early-mid 1850's, Texas Industrialized massively, building factories and railroads around the country. Texas now had a military of 60,000 in the Grand Army of Texas.

The Naval Crisis of '53. In February of 1853, Brazil had just finished their war with Peru. Peru had lost the war horribly and had almost no military left. Chile was the dominant Power in South America. A month later, in March of 1853, a Texan merchant ship was passing the coast of Peru, when shots rang out. Onshore Peruvian Artillery Batteries fired at the Merchant Ship, killing 900 Texan Sailors. Grant had heard about the incident a week later. He was furious and accused Peru of embroiling Sailors into death. The Texan-Peruvian War

He asked the Texan Congress for a Declaration of War on Peru. The Texan Congress wholeheartedly agreed to War with Peru. Texas Declared War on Peru. In April of 1853, 3 Texan Naval Ships were dispatched to the shore of Peru. Peruvian Coastal Artillery Batteries had sunk the TNT Burnet, killing 1,000 Texan Sailors.

sinkingship.jpg

Sinking of TNT Burnet

3,000 Texan Marines of the Grand Army of Texas were being sent to Peru. Texan Naval Ships Bombarded the shores of Peru, killing some Peruvian Troops. In early 1854, Texan Naval Ships were blockading the shore of Peru, cutting off Foreign Trade. The Peruvian Economy was starting to fail. General William Whitaker was ordered to command the Land campaign of Peru.

General Whitaker in Uniform, 1854
generalcuster550.jpg

Texan Troops land at the Capitol of Peru, almost no resistance by the Peruvian Army. By Mid 1854, Texan Troops were only miles from the Peruvian Capitol. 500 Peruvian Militia defenders assembled defenses of sandbags and Heavy Artillery on Culps Hill. Texan Troops charged up the Top of the Hill, Artillery blasting down on them, men killed from Artillery fell down the hill. Texan Troops eventually reached the Top of The Hill, the Peruvian Fighters Retreating in defeat. Texan Troops cheered wildly at their victory at Culps Hill. There would be nothing now from the Texan Marines entering Lima.
Texan Troops at the Battle of Culps Hill:
wgmexicanamericanwar5.jpg

Peruvian Leaders flee the capitol. Texan Troops capture and burn the Peruvian Capitol and Lima. Burning of the Capitol House at Lima:
1814burning.jpg

By 1855, Half of Peru was under Texan Control. In March of 1855, Peruvian President, Ramon Castilla was forced to sue for peace with Texas. In April of 1855, The Treaty of Pasco was signed. The Treaty Terms. Give Texas a Region In Peru. Castilla accepted. Peru was unprepared for War with Texas, already battered enough from Brazil. The Texan Victory against Peru was arousing for the citizens. After the War, Texas was seen with Much Prestige from the Great Powers, and with Texas' Massive Industrialization, the Victory against Peru catapulted Texas to a World Power, taking Belgium's place.

However, Some Texan Congress members did not like the way the war was handled. They called Texas actions against Peru Imperialistic and Corrupt, and called for the reselling of the Region back to Peru. Other Congress members had suggested that the Victory had made Texas a World Power. Whitaker was called a hero all over the country, and would become head of the Grand Army of Texas.

The Election of 1855. Since Texas was at War with Peru since 1853, Grant was given extra years to lead the nation in the war. Grant had won another term. Thanks to the Texan Victory in the Texan-Peruvian War, it catapulted Grant to the Presidency in Austin again, running till 1860. In 1857, U.S President, Abraham Lincoln called for a meeting with President Grant to meet at Washington D.C.
President Abraham Lincoln, 1860:
abrahamlincolnwithoutbe.jpg

Grant and Lincoln would be in a heated debate. Lincoln had accused Grant of violating the Monroe Doctrine, and using Imperialism on Southern American nations. Grant then sternly said, "What about French, and British Guyana"? Lincoln had stopped talking. The argument calmed down a bit, and with more negotiations, Texas was removed from the U.S Sphere of Influence. And Lincoln had promised Grant if Texas went to War with Mexico, the United States would not Intervene on Mexico's side.

Last edited:
Quite the aggressive state, these Texans! It seems the US is going to have a competitor in this timeline.

grabbing Peru was a nice bit of opportunism ... presumably a well timed CB on top of their hammering by Brazil? And you've escaped the US SOI.

Yeah, the War against Peru was just plain luck, Brazil beat em up enough not to stand any chance, even to Texas. After getting huge Industry points and Knocking off Peru, I'm # 7 Great Power.