• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd kill for a way to avoid the ACW and peacefully end slavery. There should be an option to just buy the freedom of slaves--maybe as a reward if you keep militancy down until 1870 and have invented enough industrial techs to make slavery inefficient? It would obviously have to come at a high cost--maybe 500% of your yearly earnings + a large prestige hit or something?

Anyway, I just have a hard time role-playing as the USA if I absolutely have to fight a war of subjugation against my own countrymen. I'm perfectly fine with playing as an iron-fist authoritarian as Prussia, Japan, etc., but as an American, playing in such a way as the USA makes me a bit uncomfortable, just because I'm of the opinion that the ACW was avoidable and unfortunate. :unsure:

So yeah, if the devs could quickly add that in an upcoming patch I'd be most obliged. But by all means, make it something only ideologues would pick for the sake of balance. :D

More to the point, I wish there was a more organized way to watch your spherelings. i.e. something would tell you when another GP is starting go after them. I play a lot as Prussia, and Austria and France love to sneak in and steal your sphere constantly!

More to the point, I wish there was a more organized way to watch your spherelings. i.e. something would tell you when another GP is starting go after them. I play a lot as Prussia, and Austria and France love to sneak in and steal your sphere constantly!

You can kind of do this in the top right corner, but it's hard to keep an eye on it! :rolleyes:

I personally would love to divide France. I mean, they didn't have a problem with creating puppet states in Germany. It would be nice to be able to do the same. Annexing is too much infamy, bleeding them dry is too much time, etc. etc.

I would also like to see a less stable Ottoman Empire. I hate it when they get utterly beaten in a war and can only recruit 2-3 brigades yet still manage to hold together an empire that ranges from Serbia to Iraq.

Last edited:
Being able to have both privately-owned and state-owned types of factories. :)
The idea being is that private factories are as they are now, but state-owned factories, their efficiency is determined by the Admin efficiency, meaning that they can be either a lot better or a lot worse than private ones.
Something like that anyway ^^

Being able to have both privately-owned and state-owned types of factories. :)
The idea being is that private factories are as they are now, but state-owned factories, their efficiency is determined by the Admin efficiency, meaning that they can be either a lot better or a lot worse than private ones.
Something like that anyway ^^

Love this idea--and yes, I agree with being able to break up countries based on regions. They wouldn't need new flags--it could simply be called "German-France" or "France under German dominion." Same flag, and it could be split progressively taking regions and placing them in that state. I like that idea a lot--makes warfare a lot more balanced...for example, an losing against France is hard because they can "Free People" and weaken you that way. Germans have to take a state, which costs more infamy...etc. Do you get what I mean?

More Info on Parties. Being able to see who exactly is leading a party, who are their important members.

Make it so the events of the ACW can be replicated with any GP and avoided. A good player should be able to avoid the ACW not have it forced on him, likewise other GP's should also have to deal with the prospect of a civil war should enough of the country come under Rebel control.

I'd kill for a way to avoid the ACW and peacefully end slavery. There should be an option to just buy the freedom of slaves--maybe as a reward if you keep militancy down until 1870 and have invented enough industrial techs to make slavery inefficient? It would obviously have to come at a high cost--maybe 500% of your yearly earnings + a large prestige hit or something?

Buying up slaves is how other countries peacefully ended slavery. Think thats what happened in most places. The Civil War wasnt JUST about slaves you know....

I wouldn't mind

1) the ability to drop off an infantry to besiege a prov by clicking a button (a la EU3).
2) the ability to form divisions based on what's being recruited in my provs
3) the ability to break a unit down into all its component brigades -- anyone who has occupied Austria, Russia, or any big country knows what a pain this is
4) as others have pointed out, a warning when someone hits x% (I usually only zap em at 90% if I am paying attention) influence in your sphere -- this seems easy enough to just add a little dot like you get when you can increase opinion or add to sphere.

Buying up slaves is how other countries peacefully ended slavery. Think thats what happened in most places. The Civil War wasnt JUST about slaves you know....

Most governments abolished slavery before granting compensation, rather than buying all the slaves their freedom.

Two things that I have been really wishing would be implemented in some way, both having to do with core provinces.

The first would be one that would be easy to implement since it was in Europe Universallis III. What I am talking about specifically is the 'renouncing claims' on a province.

Example. France and Prussia/NGF/Germany. Every 5 years it is war, regardless of anything else. Alsace Loraine, constantly for the entirety of the game, truce up, new war, over and over. Would be nice to beable to beat back the other nation hard enough that you could demand them give up their rights to an area so they do not get that free CB.

The second may be harder. What I think would be cool, since this game is more about alternate history then following it to the letter, would be to randomize core events. What I mean is like... USA for example, Manifest destiny. Maybe you use it one game and its historically accurate, maybe you use it one game and it goes north, giving you cores in British Canada, maybe you use it another and it gives you cores south furthur into mexico and forgoes cores on washington and oregon, maybe it gives you cores on the Caribbean islands as well. Could also be said for Prussia, sort of, there are places like southern denmark, or that bit on the west of Switzerland that are cored, would be nice if it got randomized a bit every game so playthroughs were not so... similar.

Every game I see with the USA is either USA conqueres all of mexico and beats CSA, beats CSA doesnt conquer mexico, conquers mexico looses to csa and has a war every 5 years. I never see any variation beyond those few.
Prussia as well, conquer everything and make NGF, dont conquer everything and fall into obsecurity and revolution, get their butt handed to them by austria

The occupying province speed increase linear to the amount of troops. This feature was present in Victoria 1. I know in V2 it is based on reconnaissant but i don't think that double the reconnaisant also give you double the occupying speed, maybe it's just +25% or +50%. I hate dividing my army to 1 brigade for each army and send them to every enemy provinces for faster occupying. It's just too much micromanagement.

Most governments abolished slavery before granting compensation, rather than buying all the slaves their freedom.

Very true, but I'd argue that slavery required state backing to be tenable in the 19th century (hence the fugitive slave act, etc.), and that if the US had simply stopped enforcing slavery, the south still probably would have seceded. There were just too many tensions at the time between the north and south for the north to be able to simply enforce its will against the south (or more aptly, the southern political class) that easily.

I think the only way to keep the union together should be to:
1) Fight the ACW around 1850-1860
2) Buy slaves' freedom around 1870-1880 (should be relatively difficult, but perfectly manageable for a competent player)
3) Somehow keep down militancy until 1890 or so and then abolish it altogether without complaint (due to advanced industrial techs making slavery stupidly inefficient); this should be extremely difficult and typically undesirable

Maybe there could be a few other options as well, but these would be sufficient for me.

I would also suggest that the ACW carry far larger penalties to your pops and financial situation, the purchasing of their freedom carry a large financial hit as well as a prestige hit, and the last option give you a relatively large infamy hit for keeping it around that long. The slavery debate should really present a far larger problem for the US than it currently does, but the player should also have more options in dealing with it.

1 Ability to sort the units alphabetically in the outliner.
2 Ability to change brigade names
3 Ability to move province between states and merge states
4 Ability to rename states
5 Ability to convert state back into colony

... And one bigger thing: reasonable military system - it is better than vanilla, yet still worse than Vic1.

Being able to deassign generals from the military screen, so I don't have to:
1. Find good general
2. Check his location
3. Find the location using search engine
4. Deassign him
5. Find new location
6. Assign him there

I can instead skip the first 3 steps

Also, I'd like to be able to sort states in the production tab by number of closed factories, so I can open them all at once sans going through all of them(though AHD makes this moot)

I would love to see:

1) Prussia to fight / sphere more intelligently. I keep waiting NGF/Germany to form (so that I can take a big chunk out of it) but AI Prussia is just too stupid do it.
2) Give Prussia/ Germany an even better research school than Junker and that "von something" reform. Historically, Germany's army was unstoppable in 20th century.
3) Change sea battle war score. Sea battle should matter more.
4) Do not cap war score at 25% only.
5) Ability to declare war on impulse without justifying for it. Infamy? So be it. Right now Anti Military and Pacifism parties are just un-playable.
6) Most importantly, AI still fight like an idiot...

I would love to see:

1) Prussia to fight / sphere more intelligently. I keep waiting NGF/Germany to form (so that I can take a big chunk out of it) but AI Prussia is just too stupid do it.
2) Give Prussia/ Germany an even better research school than Junker and that "von something" reform. Historically, Germany's army was unstoppable in 20th century.
3) Change sea battle war score. Sea battle should matter more.
4) Do not cap war score at 25% only.
5) Ability to declare war on impulse without justifying for it. Infamy? So be it. Right now Anti Military and Pacifism parties are just un-playable.
6) Most importantly, AI still fight like an idiot...

1) It does take them quite a while, I think Nationalist Rebels that arent primary or accepted culture and Pan-Nationalists should be much stronger.. Or have a Garibaldi-like event after say about 1871...

2) Von Moltkes Reform already makes them unstoppable. As Prussia, It is no problem to dominate the World by the 1950s, once Greater Germany has been formed.
4) Late Game you can have mega doom stacks with half a million troops in them, giving 70-150 warscore...Its capped for a reason.
Also, if you have a country with a big but rubbish army like China as your ally, theyll loose you massive amounts of warscore.

5) Totally agree. Make it full infamy cost + Militancy in your nation except for Jingoism Pops
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What really annoys me is when the CSA gets pan-American nationalists....