• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

anagain

Second Lieutenant
96 Badges
Sep 30, 2009
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • BATTLETECH
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Majesty 2
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Prison Architect
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Knights of Honor
  • Lead and Gold
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Sword of the Stars
  • For The Glory
  • Rome Gold
I've been looking forward to this game so it was with great excitement that I bought and installed the game from Gamersgate today.

To my horror I found that the controls are horrendous. The tower building controls are a mess. You click on a tower build circle and have to press left or right to open the menu, then, and more often than not, I find that scrolling through the available towers just builds anything rather than what you want. I kept ending up with ballistas when I didn't even know I was clicking build. If you have to click on the tower circle with your mouse then why can't you open the menu to build towers with the mouse?

The troops menu is much better and actually uses the mouse to select what you want to send, so why doesn't the tower menu?

I managed to make why way through the tutorial mission with my misplaced towers and went to select the next mission. That's when the game crashed and now I am unable to open the game. I keep getting told it is unavailable at the moment.

I'm a big fan of you folks at Paradox and I constantly praise you as the masters of strategy gaming. The controls on this game are ill thought out though. It has the promise and I won't chuck it away on a first play, but where was the thought in this? Was it a game meant for the consoles that has been given a hurried port to PCs? Can the controls be altered because I really think I'll tire of the game fast with that tower menu. Building towers is a huge part of the gameplay and if I feel I have little control over what I am doing then how can I play and feel succesful?

I'm not often compelled to post threads like this and in fact will often defend the developers, but I'm not feeling well and this has annoyed me. I'm shocked that a development company I think highly of can chuck a game upon the loyal PC gamer communities that has controls so ill thought out for PC gamers.

Please change the controls in a patch Paradox. Please.

Yeah the controls.. Doing the tutorial, and it asked me to use the middle mouse button to rotate the camera. Unfortunately, i don't have a middle mouse button (damn logitech revolution) and trying to re-bind the key to something else doesnt work. So im stuck in tutorial for now :p

Edit: OO, luckily, gamepads work too, so i used mine in order to rotate the camera.

Last edited:
It could be a very good game. It's a great take on the whole tower defense game, but it's just awfully implemented in minor areas. If the player isn't comfortable with the controls then that's a major disadvantage.

I hate to complain about a Paradox game because I respect them as a company. It's probably bad luck for them that release fell on a day I have a rather horrible stomach bug. :eek:hmy:

Same problem here as well, bought it on Steam at once it was available there, been getting the "Steam servers are too busy" error. All other downloads on Steam work fine, so I'm not quite sure what the problem here can be.

Hi guys,

Thank you for reporting this, we are looking into it as more people are reporting the same issue.

Kind regards
Susana

For some reason Steam decided to start downloading the demo for me. I have the full game so I didn't need it and decided to uninstall. Upon finishing the uninstall (delete local content) I realised Steam had removed the full game and I have to reinstall it. Obviously I can't do that what with the problems.

I installed the game fine yesterday. I bought it from Gamersgate rather than Steam and it was a hassle free installation after authorising the game.

As a side note, I do feel this thread has been hi-jacked a bit. My main gripe here was the controls, so any chance they might be improved with a patch Susana? The developers should have a play of a game called Defense Grid:Awakening for absolutely perfect controls for a tower defense game.

For some reason Steam decided to start downloading the demo for me. I have the full game so I didn't need it and decided to uninstall. Upon finishing the uninstall (delete local content) I realised Steam had removed the full game and I have to reinstall it. Obviously I can't do that what with the problems.

I installed the game fine yesterday. I bought it from Gamersgate rather than Steam and it was a hassle free installation after authorising the game.

As a side note, I do feel this thread has been hi-jacked a bit. My main gripe here was the controls, so any chance they might be improved with a patch Susana? The developers should have a play of a game called Defense Grid:Awakening for absolutely perfect controls for a tower defense game.

Same thing happened to me with demo. Previously i managed to get it downloading using US - Dallas server in Steam settings. Didn't work this time but after a while of looking i managed to make it downloading on US - Lon Angeles server.

Sorry about derailing the topic. I totally agree with controls. I played tutorial mission and yes, Defense Grid controls should be added as an option. +1 for that idea!