+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A bit disappointed

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    MagickaMajesty 2Semper Fi

A bit disappointed

I've been looking forward to this game so it was with great excitement that I bought and installed the game from Gamersgate today.

To my horror I found that the controls are horrendous. The tower building controls are a mess. You click on a tower build circle and have to press left or right to open the menu, then, and more often than not, I find that scrolling through the available towers just builds anything rather than what you want. I kept ending up with ballistas when I didn't even know I was clicking build. If you have to click on the tower circle with your mouse then why can't you open the menu to build towers with the mouse?

The troops menu is much better and actually uses the mouse to select what you want to send, so why doesn't the tower menu?

I managed to make why way through the tutorial mission with my misplaced towers and went to select the next mission. That's when the game crashed and now I am unable to open the game. I keep getting told it is unavailable at the moment.

I'm a big fan of you folks at Paradox and I constantly praise you as the masters of strategy gaming. The controls on this game are ill thought out though. It has the promise and I won't chuck it away on a first play, but where was the thought in this? Was it a game meant for the consoles that has been given a hurried port to PCs? Can the controls be altered because I really think I'll tire of the game fast with that tower menu. Building towers is a huge part of the gameplay and if I feel I have little control over what I am doing then how can I play and feel succesful?

I'm not often compelled to post threads like this and in fact will often defend the developers, but I'm not feeling well and this has annoyed me. I'm shocked that a development company I think highly of can chuck a game upon the loyal PC gamer communities that has controls so ill thought out for PC gamers.

Please change the controls in a patch Paradox. Please.

Yeah the controls.. Doing the tutorial, and it asked me to use the middle mouse button to rotate the camera. Unfortunately, i don't have a middle mouse button (damn logitech revolution) and trying to re-bind the key to something else doesnt work. So im stuck in tutorial for now :P

Edit: OO, luckily, gamepads work too, so i used mine in order to rotate the camera.
    Last edited by makotech222; 14-03-2012 at 22:19.

It could be a very good game. It's a great take on the whole tower defense game, but it's just awfully implemented in minor areas. If the player isn't comfortable with the controls then that's a major disadvantage.

I hate to complain about a Paradox game because I respect them as a company. It's probably bad luck for them that release fell on a day I have a rather horrible stomach bug.

Quote Originally Posted by anagain View Post
    it is unavailable at the moment.
    I've gotten that error with other games before. Sometimes right clicking on the game -> properties -> local files -> verify integrity of game cache helps.

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    East India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneKing Arthur IILead and GoldLegioThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2Rome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Sunderland, England, United Kingdom, 112404765441676, City of Sunderland
    Suspect it might be something with Steam - refusing to download for me as "all Steam servers are too busy".

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2East India Company CollectionMagickaMajesty 2
    Sword of the Stars IIWarlock: Master of the Arcane500k club

Same here with Steam problem... I was looking forward to this game and Valve is spoiling my installation atm...

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Same problem here as well, bought it on Steam at once it was available there, been getting the "Steam servers are too busy" error. All other downloads on Steam work fine, so I'm not quite sure what the problem here can be.

High Priestess of Paradox Susana's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDiplomacyDungeonlandEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    ImpireThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses

Hi guys,

Thank you for reporting this, we are looking into it as more people are reporting the same issue.

Kind regards
    Susana

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    Hi guys,

Thank you for reporting this, we are looking into it as more people are reporting the same issue.

Kind regards
    Susana
    For some reason Steam decided to start downloading the demo for me. I have the full game so I didn't need it and decided to uninstall. Upon finishing the uninstall (delete local content) I realised Steam had removed the full game and I have to reinstall it. Obviously I can't do that what with the problems.

I installed the game fine yesterday. I bought it from Gamersgate rather than Steam and it was a hassle free installation after authorising the game.

As a side note, I do feel this thread has been hi-jacked a bit. My main gripe here was the controls, so any chance they might be improved with a patch Susana? The developers should have a play of a game called Defense Grid:Awakening for absolutely perfect controls for a tower defense game.

Got same problem with servers too busy

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2East India Company CollectionMagickaMajesty 2
    Sword of the Stars IIWarlock: Master of the Arcane500k club

Quote Originally Posted by anagain View Post
    For some reason Steam decided to start downloading the demo for me. I have the full game so I didn't need it and decided to uninstall. Upon finishing the uninstall (delete local content) I realised Steam had removed the full game and I have to reinstall it. Obviously I can't do that what with the problems.

I installed the game fine yesterday. I bought it from Gamersgate rather than Steam and it was a hassle free installation after authorising the game.

As a side note, I do feel this thread has been hi-jacked a bit. My main gripe here was the controls, so any chance they might be improved with a patch Susana? The developers should have a play of a game called Defense Grid:Awakening for absolutely perfect controls for a tower defense game.
    Same thing happened to me with demo. Previously i managed to get it downloading using US - Dallas server in Steam settings. Didn't work this time but after a while of looking i managed to make it downloading on US - Lon Angeles server.

Sorry about derailing the topic. I totally agree with controls. I played tutorial mission and yes, Defense Grid controls should be added as an option. +1 for that idea!

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDungeonlandEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    ImpireKing Arthur IILead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2Majesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Penumbra - Black PlaguePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIStarvoidThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the RosesKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubTeleglitch: Die More EditionEuropa Universalis IV
    War of the VikingsWarlock 2: The Exiled

Finally. Had the exact same problems as KouDy and anagain. I have tried to install the game about 30-50 times since yesterday =P Looks like it works now.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasMagicka
    Majesty 2Pirates of Black CoveSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldMount & Blade: Warband

yeah just clicking to place towers does do nothing you need to press space while clicking an tile and then you can select the tower you want

High Priestess of Paradox Susana's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDiplomacyDungeonlandEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    ImpireThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses

Just a confirmation that the installation problem some of you have been having should be fixed now, very sorry some of you had to wait for it!

Kind regards
    Susana

Still servers busy for me

+ Reply to Thread