• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
gain control of the county seat (probably the castle) and give it to the county mayor/bishop. That should make the county a republic or theocracy. You can do the same with dutchies and get the improved tax rates.

In one of my games England ended up becoming a theocracy after a couple of the dukes won a war against the king to put his younger brother who was bishop on the throne. One of the strangest outcomes yet I've seen in a game.

:wacko:

In one of my games England ended up becoming a theocracy after a couple of the dukes won a war against the king to put his younger brother who was bishop on the throne. One of the strangest outcomes yet I've seen in a game.

:wacko:
I've seen a holy roman emperor pressing the claims of one of his bishops for the Kingdom of France, resulting in the Theocracy of France ruled by a bishop residing somewhere in a bishopric in the HRE (though still not a vassal of the HRE).

Wow, I did not know you could do that. :)

Are there any striking advantages/disadvantages to doing this?

Yes. I granted a county title to one of my greatest mayors and as soon as this happened, he becomes a "Lord Mayor". Nothing wrong in theory, unfortunately this is the middle ages and everything is about feudalism. So because I'm playing as an HRE Duke, I received a -30 penalty for wrong government type.

I am not sure when or if this isn't an issue at some point?? I always assumed it's a matter of which nation you play as but now I am not so sure...

Wow, I did not know you could do that. :)

Are there any striking advantages/disadvantages to doing this?

You tax them at the rate that you have with cities or Bishoprics (which is almost always higher than your feudal vassals). Also, if you have free investure, you can select your Bishoprics (this also partially mitigates the -30 relationship hit by adding a +15 for free investure). Finally, Bishoprics can't make alliances and are significantly less likely to cause you trouble. If you give dutchies to Mayors/Bishops, you'll get to tax them at the enhanced rate too. So instead of getting 20% of their take (my common rate for taxing vassals) you'll get 35% of their tax (my lower common rate for mayors). That almost doubles your tax revenue.

For a more thorough discussion, checkout Landwalkers post (#4) In this thread: Thread

Then come another thread.
Can you put your family as mayor or bishop or whatever ?
I tried but was unable.

yes, you can. To make bishops out of your family is a common way to get them out of the inheritance line, for this you need to directly own a bishopric and "grant landed title" to your family member. Same way for lord mayors, only substitute bishopric with city.

I don't see why you couldn't appoint them as a bishop if you have Free Investiture. Appointing them as a mayor kind of defeats the point of a republic, so no, I don't think you can, unless you start from scratch and give them the city, then the county/duchy. ;)

You can appoint them through free investiture but they have to have matured to be considered. If you are under the gun to get them into the church, sometimes you can't wait. Appointing them as a mayor does not remove them from succession but they don't have a whole lot of power to pursue their claims and can't cause as much trouble as if they had a county or, heaven forbid, a dutchy.