+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you change the religion of your character?

Crusader Kings II

How do you change the religion of your character?

Is it possible? I am unable to find a method to do so. I was playing as the Italian Normans, and somehow ended up with a Orthodox hier, even though I kept my court in apulia. I suspect he became Orthodox because his tutor was.

It is very annoying because now the local bishops are starting to covert my realm to Orthodox.

It frankly is the only thing I can arrive at to explain it. The parents were both Norman Catholic.
    Tis all a chequer board of nights and days where destiny with men for pieces plays, hither and thither moves, mates and slays, and one by one back in the closet lays!

Religion can change for children when they are tutored, by a court chaplain converting them or demanding conversion via diplomacy.
    Researching culture tech sometimes changes the court chaplains religion to a heresy where he will ask you to join him.
    There are a few other ways of generating a religion but none I can think of that change it.

Crusader Kings II

He refused lol. So that wasnt a option when he was a minor. This really sucks because I will likely play this all over again simply for this reason.
    Tis all a chequer board of nights and days where destiny with men for pieces plays, hither and thither moves, mates and slays, and one by one back in the closet lays!

As an adult, you'll sometimes get lucky and have a court chaplain force-convert you.

I wonder if it'd be possible to be converted by a Local Inquisition in your court....

You can put your Chaplain in the province where the person is you want to change religion. It works best if you can get him/her where there is a SMALL court and then the Chaplain has a % chance per year of coverting the person. I'm doing it now with orthodox's I want to be catholic. Usually get one to convert per year. It's the first job icon on the Chaplain, if you notice it says "covert subjects" or something like that. So he not only works for provincial changes but individual changes as well. You can also try the DEMAND RELIGIOUS CHANGE method from the diplomacy screen of the character you want to change religions. It doesn't work very often though and the Chaplain method is really the best.

Force religion always works when your vassal is over a certain amount of relations. I think its 30 or so.
    Therefore: Gift, give honorary title, use chancellor to improve relations and as a last resort hand out some titles. Religion is one of the easiest things to mess with in his game.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Worst case scenario just get your next heir tutored by someone of the religion you want and you'll have another ruler of the correct religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuriken View Post
    Worst case scenario just get your next heir tutored by someone of the religion you want and you'll have another ruler of the correct religion.
    While true, that won't really help him out if half of his holdings convert to a different sect of Christianity.

Leave it to the inquisition, a high morale authority of the church and a high learning will counter any effects he can have in the short time before he reaches 16.

What if I want to change my religion from Tengri to Orthodox? I'm thinking of declaring independence from the Cumans and swearing fealty to the Byzantines, but worried they'll just revoke my titles if I'm Tengri. (Started as Duke Isaac of Khazars, but the Khan converted me to Tengri)

Quote Originally Posted by jossief View Post
    What if I want to change my religion from Tengri to Orthodox? I'm thinking of declaring independence from the Cumans and swearing fealty to the Byzantines, but worried they'll just revoke my titles if I'm Tengri. (Started as Duke Isaac of Khazars, but the Khan converted me to Tengri)
    Get an Orthodox Tutor for your heir, I'd wager.

I took a county that belonged to the last Muslim Ruler and the barons, bishop and mayors stayed. To strip their titles said it would be a - 40 for all my vassals.

They keep killing off every count I give them.

Of course they hate me and everyone else. They are all high on intrigue and have claimants to no end.

How am I supposed to convert or manage these turkeys.

I was hoping they would rebel but in 15 years, no luck.

Anyone have this problem before? How did you fix it?

+ Reply to Thread