• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

What do you do?

• I only play from earliest start point

Votes: 353 46,5%
  • I tried a few starts, but play earliest date now.

Votes: 261 34,4%
  • I like changing start date, and do it regularly.

Votes: 145 19,1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Does that mean they're planning to remove later starts for EU3 or that they're about to decide how EU4 should work?

I've never played a game starting later than 1492, but I'd rather they kept at least a few start dates beyond the earliest one.

I usually play from the very beginning, but I really enjoy to browse through the dates one year at a time and select interesting start dates.

Does that mean they're planning to remove later starts for EU3 or that they're about to decide how EU4 should work?

I've never played a game starting later than 1492, but I'd rather they kept at least a few start dates beyond the earliest one.

Well, i think that they might focus more on starting date history files if most players will say that they start from the beggining. Because at least now, there are many flaws.

Well having options is always nice BUT

IF we are faced with a choice of

a.) more polished game overall if only one start date is covered

b.) less polished game overall if you try to cover EVERYTHING

I have to vote for a.)

Yes like i said, having options is great, fun and all that, BUT if we are to judge the game experience i would rather have more to do with 1 start date (and enjoy higher quality) than have an ability to scroll through history, choose a game and then get bored couple of hours later.

The fact that im also modding EU3 sort of impacts my view, since i know exactly how time consuming editing history files can be. If i could again, choose between having Paradox work on hardcodded stuff (game mechanics, AI etc) OR work on history files (that literally ANYONE can open with text files), ill go for game mechanics every time.

But thats just me.

I would use the different start dates if it is needed to start as a specific country and I have used it in EU3 vanilla for that purpose but in all honesty I have not used a different start date from the earliest in years.

Well having options is always nice BUT

IF we are faced with a choice of

a.) more polished game overall if only one start date is covered

b.) less polished game overall if you try to cover EVERYTHING

I have to vote for a.)

Yes like i said, having options is great, fun and all that, BUT if we are to judge the game experience i would rather have more to do with 1 start date (and enjoy higher quality) than have an ability to scroll through history, choose a game and then get bored couple of hours later.

The fact that im also modding EU3 sort of impacts my view, since i know exactly how time consuming editing history files can be. If i could again, choose between having Paradox work on hardcodded stuff (game mechanics, AI etc) OR work on history files (that literally ANYONE can open with text files), ill go for game mechanics every time.

But thats just me.

They could outsource the province history stuff to Magna Mundi Team (or just rip-off Magna Mundi history files :)).

Unfortunately, my preferred option is not available - I have tried a few starts but almost always use one after the earliest (in my case 1st August 1405).

That said, it's a luxury and I can certainly live with one start date.

Tried a few others to play historical nations but generally start from the beginning. Also once used the fact that you start with cores on all owned provinces to have Rome and Urbino as Naples in 1406 without having to Annex the Pope.

I voted I like changing starts , i'd say 50% have been 1399. (1st nov for playing Provence , two weeks make you free! )