View Poll Results: What do you do?

Voters
759. You may not vote on this poll
  • I only play from earliest start point

353 46.51%
  • I tried a few starts, but play earliest date now.

261 34.39%
  • I like changing start date, and do it regularly.

145 19.10%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Start at any given date - The verdict!

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Start at any given date - The verdict!

We want to know about how you use it.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

I usually only play from the start.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty II CollectionRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

I sometimes try new start dates to muck around, but the VAST majority of the time I play the earliest start date.
    Worst WritAAR series:
    Saruhan-Annexed
    Avignon-Annexed
    Genoa- Done.................for now
    Ottomans- Dead (to lazy)

Myself
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome

Does that mean they're planning to remove later starts for EU3 or that they're about to decide how EU4 should work?

I've never played a game starting later than 1492, but I'd rather they kept at least a few start dates beyond the earliest one.
    Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou allied. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of France, master of the fates of Europe. Therefore with my explorers thou shalt see, and with my spies thou shalt hear; and never shall thou be released from vassalage until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Well, i can't vote, is it because i am on probation?

Anyway, i tried few start dates, but only to check few things, mostly i play from earliest date.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Me_ View Post
    Does that mean they're planning to remove later starts for EU3 or that they're about to decide how EU4 should work?
    I don't think so.

Close the worLd,.txEn eht nepO GAGA Extrem's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    King Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I usually play from the very beginning, but I really enjoy to browse through the dates one year at a time and select interesting start dates.

Iwanow: Probably, because I can't vote either.

I mostly start from the start. Mostly for the achievements.
    Though I like how it changes the world and gives you different scenarios.

But yeah, mostly the start.

I too enjoy browsing the myriad of different start dates, and have started several games at post-1399 dates. However, 1399 is usually where I start.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

I've never played a game starting later than 1492, but I'd rather they kept at least a few start dates beyond the earliest one.
    Well, i think that they might focus more on starting date history files if most players will say that they start from the beggining. Because at least now, there are many flaws.

Командир Батаљона DanubianCossak's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well having options is always nice BUT

IF we are faced with a choice of

a.) more polished game overall if only one start date is covered

b.) less polished game overall if you try to cover EVERYTHING

I have to vote for a.)

Yes like i said, having options is great, fun and all that, BUT if we are to judge the game experience i would rather have more to do with 1 start date (and enjoy higher quality) than have an ability to scroll through history, choose a game and then get bored couple of hours later.

The fact that im also modding EU3 sort of impacts my view, since i know exactly how time consuming editing history files can be. If i could again, choose between having Paradox work on hardcodded stuff (game mechanics, AI etc) OR work on history files (that literally ANYONE can open with text files), ill go for game mechanics every time.

But thats just me.
    Clinically diagnosed russophile and scourge of self righteous westerners.

I would use the different start dates if it is needed to start as a specific country and I have used it in EU3 vanilla for that purpose but in all honesty I have not used a different start date from the earliest in years.

El Presidente of Tropico & etc Ivir Baggins's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    500k club

I've never started after 1405, and even then that's only for a few nations, such as TO, any Balkan nation, or any Russian nation.
    "Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe." - Psalm 108:9

I have a YouTube channel!

Myself
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by DanubianCossak View Post
    Well having options is always nice BUT

IF we are faced with a choice of

a.) more polished game overall if only one start date is covered

b.) less polished game overall if you try to cover EVERYTHING

I have to vote for a.)

Yes like i said, having options is great, fun and all that, BUT if we are to judge the game experience i would rather have more to do with 1 start date (and enjoy higher quality) than have an ability to scroll through history, choose a game and then get bored couple of hours later.

The fact that im also modding EU3 sort of impacts my view, since i know exactly how time consuming editing history files can be. If i could again, choose between having Paradox work on hardcodded stuff (game mechanics, AI etc) OR work on history files (that literally ANYONE can open with text files), ill go for game mechanics every time.

But thats just me.
    They could outsource the province history stuff to Magna Mundi Team (or just rip-off Magna Mundi history files ).
    Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou allied. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of France, master of the fates of Europe. Therefore with my explorers thou shalt see, and with my spies thou shalt hear; and never shall thou be released from vassalage until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end.

Командир Батаљона DanubianCossak's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

They could outsource the province history stuff to Magna Mundi Team (or just rip-off Magna Mundi history files ).
    Whatever produces EU3 patch of higher quality is fine with me
    Clinically diagnosed russophile and scourge of self righteous westerners.

Unfortunately, my preferred option is not available - I have tried a few starts but almost always use one after the earliest (in my case 1st August 1405).

That said, it's a luxury and I can certainly live with one start date.

Tried a few others to play historical nations but generally start from the beginning. Also once used the fact that you start with cores on all owned provinces to have Rome and Urbino as Naples in 1406 without having to Annex the Pope.
    Check out the EU3 wiki here.
    Also see my personal Project Section

Crusader Kings IIEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III
    Lead and GoldMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    I only start at 1399.
    Je suis votre roi et L'etat c'est moi!

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I voted I like changing starts , i'd say 50% have been 1399. (1st nov for playing Provence , two weeks make you free! )
    no more unfinished IN AAR's

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldLost Empire - ImmortalsPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 Beta
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Always play the earliest date possible, it's all the time possible to manage the country myself.
    Terra Universalis II
    For EU IV
    Another kind of whole world mod
    Magna Terra
    For EU Rome VV
    The way to be Imperator of all the Old World
    Umbra Spherae
    For Crusader Kings II
    Expand your faith and realm into all the Old World

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast