• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

hoi2geek

Lt. General
4 Badges
Jul 23, 2009
  • Darkest Hour
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Since RotE and UPadS are both on-hold, I feel that I will make another AAR by me.

This AAR is about the Seven Republics and its rise to glory throughout the unification of Arcadia under its banner. Obviously, it will use the Divergences mod, but will be modded from the start, as you will see in the prologue, so sit back and enjoy the show.

-Gian Rivero

NOTE: This is inspired by Chimina's awsome AAR "Un Nouveau Depart"; with some characters appearing (some with differing roles) in this AAR

NOTE 2: This is my first Victoria 2 AAR, using the basic Victoria 2 v1.3 mod

{{Reserved for Table of Contents}}

List of Presidents of the Seven Republics
1. Gilles Blargnies (1804-1812)
2. Vincent de Croÿ (1812-1816)
3. Damien Collet (1816-1824)
4. Barthélémy Rouppe (1824-1832)
5. Jacques Lahure (1832-1840)

Last edited:
Here's the first update (which will explain everything before 1836)
=========================

Chapter 0: The Prologue

The year was 1836, and Arcadia was a divided land
446px-North_America_satellite_orthographic.jpg

The continent became rife with division and disunity as various colonial powers sought to control the vast continent for themselves. The Ming was the first, led by the famed explorer Zheng He, followed by the Spanish and Anglo-French, the Scandinavian Kalmar Union, the Japanese daimyos, and the Venetians. All made their mark, establishing the states that divided Arcadia and kept them weak for so long. But it was Burgundian explorers and settlers, who had settled in the area that would become Nouvelle-Brugges, that would change the face of the continent forever. They began to settle around the mid-17th century, just when most of Arcadia was being carved up. And after taking a vast chunk of land from the Scandinavians and Anglo-Frenchmen, the settlers proclaimed their independence from their Burgundian sovereign, establishing the Seven Republics as an independent country. While Burgundy sent in troops, it could not stem the rising tide of independence and withdrew after just a few months.

Oh_Republica.jpg

"The Cry of Nouvelle-Brugges" (an oil painting by Jean-Louis David), commemorates the event that ultimately led to Septiman independence

But as Septimans everywhere began to celebrate their newly-held independence, the Anglo-French and Scandinavians (who by then, had set up the independent nation of Vinland) became worried that revolt would soon spread to their lands. Matters worsened as the Septimans began consolidating their hold over contested territories in the East and the frontier regions to the West. The final straw came, when in 1818, the Septiman government, under President Damien Collet, declared that it had the right (if not, the duty), to finally unify the Arcadian continent “Par la Raison ou la Force!”[1]. On 1 September 1819, both Vinland and the Anglo-French declared war on the country, starting the War of the Double Alliance.

andrew_jackson.jpeg

A portrait of Gen. Jacques Lahure, a man who fought for the Seven Republics during the War of the Double Alliance

However, the Septimans mobilized quicker than anybody expected, and the war soon turned against the aggressors. Led by Gen. Jacques Lahure (better known as the “Hannibal of the West”) soon led massive invasions in the north leading to the vicious battle of Kusbøle and the siege of Erikshavn, both of which led to 10,000 enemy casualties, which ultimately knocked Vinland out of the war. Lahure then turned his attention to the south, leading to massive battles across the Mississippi River, leading to the battle of Paducha, which eventually led to an armistice on the part of the Anglo-French. By then, calls for independence by their settlers were getting stronger, which led to Plantagenia’s independence under a personal union with their former masters. Both Vinland and Plantagenia however, had to sign a peace treaty in 11 November, 1831 giving to the Seven-Republics the regions of Galles-Occidentales, Haute Léonie, Storsjøarna, Saginaw, and Nye Trøndelag, as well as a huge indemnity of 70,000 francs ($2.4 million today)

640px-Signing_of_Treaty_of_Ghent_(1812).jpg

The signing of the Treaty of Erikshavn, which forced the Vinlanders and Plantagenians to cede territories to the Seven Republics

VMJJP.png

The results of the Treaty of Erikshavn, which incresed the size of the Seven Republics

It’s a small step, but the Seven Republics has a long way to go. Large parts of Arcadia are still in the hands of non-Septiman rulers, especially the Columbian League (a league of former Spanish colonies), which by 1836 had agreed to unite as the nation of Gran Colombia. On top of all this, Vinland, Plantagenia, the Chinese nation of Qingqiu, the Venetians colony of Augustinia, and the nation of Kita Kaigan (founded by the daimyos fleeing the chaos of the Boshin War) in the far northwest. Despite all that, the Seven Republics is confident that in the face of such a challenge, they will rise to the occasion and become masters of the continent.

It’s not a matter of if they succeed, but of when.

-----------------------------------------
[1] Translated from French to mean "Through Reason or Force"

====================
More updates to follow.

Last edited:
Will be following, need to keep my thirst for this mod sated until I can start working on my AAR again :D
Any particular reason for giving that territory to the Republics in the beginning?

Vinland has too much territory with too small population. They doesn't have an army large enough to defend all their territory.

Any particular reason for giving that territory to the Republics in the beginning?

Theoretically, Vinland has a small army, and the Seven Republics can mobilize 9-10 divisions in a few days, so any thought of a Vinlandic victory is out of the window.

The problem with the Anglo-French was that they had a huge settler population, but many troops were tied up trying to suppress any rebellion in Plantagenia, so most troops couldn't make it on time to stop the Septimans from crushing their enemies on the battlefield. Plus you have Gen. Lahure who acts like OTL Jackson. (In fact, Lahure IS OTL Jackson)

Thus, the Septimans were able to have a big advantage over the Double Alliance.

Last edited:
This seems very promising, not to mention quite a considerable challenge. I'll keep an eye on this.

Now here's my update (I might be using Imgur for uploading images, since I've been hearing some stuff about Photoshack, which I have been using for my AARs)

=============================================================
Chapter I, Section I: Un Nouveau Départ

The Seven Republics (so named because the 7 provinces of Burgundian Arcadia united together to stop the Burgundians from crushing their struggle for independence) were flush from the victories of 1831 and as 1836 rolled in, the “Époque des Bons Sentiments”(Era of Good Feelings) were still raging on. By this time, General Lahure had become President of the Republic. Immediately after his reelection in 1836, he began a survey to prepare the country for its eventual role as “Unifier of the Continent”

494px-Andrew_jackson_head.jpg

Portrait of Jacques Lahure, 5th President of the Seven Republics

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The State of the Republic (as stated by Pres. Lahure), c. 1836

“The budget was especially good this year. The acquisitions of Nouvelle-Wallonie [1] and other lands have already boosted our economic potential. However, our budget needed to stay afloat for this year, so I instituted reductions in spending, as well as tax increases as well. That should bring our cash supplies up in case we need it.

GtUU3.png

The current budget situation in the Seven Republics at around 1 January 1836.

Also, in order to rule this continent, we need to expand to the west. Unfortunately, the Vinlanders still hold on to this piece of territory known as Nouvelle-Luxembourg (known to the Vinlanders as Skrælingmark). Such territory is key to expanding Septiman control over to the Plains region to the west. Taking it would also would deny the Plantagenians from expanding north to link up with Vinland should they ever decide to ally with them, just as they did in 1819.

1sOfv.png

The map of the Seven Republics c. 1836. The territory of Nouvelle-Luxembourg is striped green/beige in this map

Overall, I think this nation is on a good start to achieving this goal of unifying the continent within a span of a few generations.”

La Président de la Sept-Républiques
---------------------------------------------------------------------

3 January 1836

Meanwhile, a delegation from Gran Colombia offered Pres. Lahure with an offer of an alliance. The President accepted it with a flourish, knowing that the Septiman people would appreciate their help in a war against Vinland (even though the Vinlanders were hundreds of miles away from the country)

JpTo2.png

The alliance offer was well-recieved by the Gran Colombians, starting years of friendship that would ultimately lead to Gran Colombia's end, as well

5 April 1836

With the alliance with the Gran Colombians secured, Pres. Lahure decided it was time now to take Nouvelle-Luxembourg back from Vinland’s control. He ordered a mass mobilization of all able-bodied men to serve in the armies. Driven by this desire to help the Seven Republics, many accepted the call to arms.

NXdza.png

Even though the order was sent to dozens of military installations around the country, it took less than a few weeks to reach the farthest bases near the West

11 June 1836

Within months of the order, thousands of men marched to the western and northern frontiers, ready to invade. With the troops now in place Pres. Lahure finally declared war on Vinland, determined to free Nouvelle-Luxembourg and take the fight all the way to Erikshavn. Pres. Lahure would even put on his old uniform, leading his troops there for the first time since he was a General leading his troops to the city.

7QMCk.png

For the first time since the War of the Double Alliance, the Seven Republics was at war. It would remain so for at least 50 years.

Now, the fight to unify Arcadia begins. It would take decades, but they are confident that they will be able to accomplish this task.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] Nouvelle-Wallonie = formerly the Vinlandic region of Storsjøarna (OTL Southern Ontario), which was taken by the Seven Republics in the War of the Double Alliance. Capital city is Nouvelle-Gand(formerly Nesvollberget(OTL Toronto))

===============================

Well, here goes this update.

Very interesting stuff, I hadn't seen this mod before but it looks like a lot of fun!

For the first time since the War of the Double Alliance, the Seven Republics was at war. It would remain so for at least 50 years.

That sounds like quite the war! Promising stuff and a good update.