• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(312767)

First Lieutenant
May 8, 2011
Is there a way to remove bad traits?
For example, on the hunt you can get event to remove damned "Craven" trait. But I can't figure if you can remove the others.
For example - Maimed, Slothful, Stressed, Arbitrary, Shy and Drunkard.
I'm sure there is a way but not figured it yet. Do you know how to get rid of them?

For example, on the hunt you can get event to remove damned "Craven" trait. But I can't figure if you can remove the others.
I'm sure there is a way but not figured it yet. Do you know how to get rid of them?

I don't really think its possible to remove them by yourself, i think you just have to be lucky with the events that come up; of which you can only influence by arranging feasts, hunts and fairs. And obviously trying to make sure in the first place your heirs don't get bad traits by choosing wise educators.

Well, they didn't have plastic surgury in the middle ages so, once you're maimed there is not much you can do. There are some events though that change the maimed into a 'huge scar'. Stressed does go away but i didn't found any relation with player actions though. Shy perhaps could go away when you distinquish yourself on the battlefield earning the 'brave' trait (don't know for sure).

Perhaps someone could confirm if stats have any influence in this?

I don't really think its possible to remove them by yourself, i think you just have to be lucky with the events that come up; of which you can only influence by arranging feasts, hunts and fairs. And obviously trying to make sure in the first place your heirs don't get bad traits by choosing wise educators.
Well of course by removing I meand creating conditions - like arraning a hunt, feast, going to battle or else.
For example I found that at the Feast you can get "Just" trait via event that may replace the Arbitrary trait.

You can either try to get the opposing trait (i.e. Just vs. Arbitrary, Sloth vs. Dilligent) from events, or you can try to hoard a bunch of traits, and hope an event will fire, removing you of a negative trait. Cruel cannot be removed by the latter method, but Cruel vs. Kind events keep showing up as long as you don't have either Trusting vs. Paranoid (I know, I don't get it either), so you can get trade Cruel or Kind that way.

You can get dilligent from grand hunts. You can also get rid of craven that way. Other than that, it's mostly about random events firing up. Of course, you should educate your heirs yourself, so that you can avoid bad traits beforehand.

You can get dilligent from grand hunts. You can also get rid of craven that way. Other than that, it's mostly about random events firing up. Of course, you should educate your heirs yourself, so that you can avoid bad traits beforehand.
On the other hand, you can get really botched hunts, too: Just yesterday I got both Slothful and Wroth within a single hunt with no option to refuse those traits. To add insult to injury, I had started the hunt with the purpose of either getting rid of my Craven trait or getting Diligent, since the game had just stripped me of a virtue trait which I needed for my demesne limit (I believe it was Patient).

Once I got an event removing the Slothful trait some time after the event that gave it to me. Arbitrary and Just can shift around during your rule, there is one specific event during a feast, when a noble slits the throat of a servant for spilling wine on his garb. You're supposedly Cruel for imprisoning that noble (not executing) while Just for literally paying some money to "silence" the peasants. This is silly.

Craven/Brave change during combat but this is rare. Perhaps more frequent if you actually appoint yourself as the leader of the army.

I've seen Gregarious and Shy change through events.

Maimed is not something you can do anything about. It tends to imply body damage, not just an illness or scarring. Losing a limb would be an example. Some people "die a maimed cripple". This means they have a large disability. You can't unmake that other than a miraculous healing. Stuff that can be healed by medicine falls under Wounded or Ill, I think, which do get cured.

You can also get traits (and stats!) from educating children. Even if you are not educating your own children you should *always* have two wards. If it is a child of someone you don't like you can use the "praise him before the court" option which often gives you diplomacy or prestige. There is also an eduction event that fires that lets you get rid of Cynical.

Last edited:
just use the cheat for that event to remove them

~

event 6041 = lose stress
event 6061 = lose Ill
event 6011 = lose leper
event 6001 = lose Syphilitic
event 6021 = Lose Lunatic
event 6031 = lose Possessed
event 6051 = lose Depressed
event 6081 = lose Wounded

event 1030 = lose temperate
event 1031 = lose gluttonous
event 1032 = lose charitable
event 1033 = lose greedy
event 1034 = lose diligent
event 1035 = lose slothful
event 1036 = lose kind
event 1037 = lose envious
event 1038 = lose patient
event 1039 = lose wroth
event 1040 = lose humble
event 1041 = lose proud
event 1042 = lose lustful
event 1043 = lose honest
event 1044 = lose deceitful
event 1045 = lose brave
event 1046 = lose craven
event 1047 = lose gregarious
event 1048 = lose shy
event 1049 = lose content
event 1050 = lose ambitious
event 1051 = lose just
event 1052 = lose arbitrary
event 1053 = lose zealous
event 1054 = lose cynical
event 1055 = lose paranoid
event 1056 = lose trusting

Last edited:
The only times i would use cheats is for money if im just messing around, there's no point in controlling every little event in the game.

For christian rulers only v1.06b (incomplete maybe even incorrect):
Lose stressed:
*gain lunatic
*100 years wait
*lovers event
*if content (court event) - chance every 5 years
*-1 skill (trait event) - chance every year

Lose depressed:
*100 years wait *0.1 with content *0.1 with zealous => content+zealous = 1 year
*if content (court event) - chance every 5 years
*if zealous 50% (trait event) - chance every year

Lose gluttonous:
*if posessed
*if 6+ personality traits - chance every 5 years
*if patient and < 50 years old - chance every year
*25% chance - chance every year
*20% chance - chance every year

Gain temperate:
*if posessed
*70% chance if zealous and not greedy and not gluttonous and not 5+ personality traits - chance every 5 years

Gain charitable:
*lovers event
*25% chance if not 5+ personality traits (5 feast events)
*posessed
*lovers event
*chance if not 5+ personality traits and not greedy - chance every 5 years
*(feudal event) - chance every year
tbc

Lose slothful:
*posessed
*chancellor event
*25% chance if gregarious - chance every year

Gain diligent:
*hunting event
tbc

Lose envious:
*posessed

Gain kind:
*feast event
*25% chance (ward event) - chance every year
tbc

Gain patient:
tbc

Gain humble:
tbc

Lose deceitful:
tbc

Gain honest:
*lovers event
*70% chance if not deceitful - chance every 5 years
*daughter bastard event

Lose craven:
*hunting event
*tbc

Gain brave:
*if not craven (battle event)
*lovers event

Lose shy:
tbc

Gain gregarious:
*feast event
tbc

Gain ambitious:
*lovers event
*if not treasurer.greedy/treasurer.deceitful and not killed something/mighty trophy/master hunter (hunting event)
*tbc

Lose arbitrary:
*tbc

Gain just:
*if not 6+ personality traits (feast event)
tbc

Lose cynical:
tbc

Gain zealous:
*if not cynical win battle during crusade
*rumour event
*if gold < -50 bankruptcy event
tbc

Gain wounded if maimed:
tbc

A couple others:

Resigning from council helps with stressed
Having characters with opposite traits in the same court as you can get you events where you can lose the trait. This is especially true if you are friends with the character.