+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Russia - initial strategy?

Darkest HourHearts of Iron IIIIron CrossVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Europa Universalis IV

Question Russia - initial strategy?

AHD restrains POPs from working in factories until they have achieved at least 20% literacy.

I'm a newbie to the APD, so I have a question - what are the viable opening strategies for Russia regarding the inability to industrialize early?

There's two.

Strategy one is the long-term route. You NF clergy up to 2% in every state, keep lit spending high, and research as many Ed Eff techs as you can. You'll have appalling industry til the 1860s, but then it'll sprout at a frightening rate.

Strategy two is the short-term route. You switch to State Capitalism, build up huge industries in as many states as you have NFs, and then NF craftsmen in those states. This'll give you fair industry - more than most SPs, tho nothing like the US or GB - but means that the 'natural' industrialization won't kick in til 20-30 years later. Overall, you'll probably have weaker industry by the end game, but far better industry in the early and midgame.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Wait, why do POP's need literacy to work in factories, exactly? Children weren't too literate, but they still were put into factories; why is there a restriction for APD?
    Nationality: British, living in the provinces-in-revolt of British North America, New York.
    Ideology: Reactionary.
    Issues: British Pan-nationalism
    Current work: PROVINCE_NAME
    Cash reserves: 50
    Revolt risk: 99%
    Militancy: 10
    Consciousness: 10
    "The biggest argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter." -Winston Churchill
    "The absolute ruler may be a Nero, but he is sometimes a Titus or Marc Aurelius; the people is often Nero, but never Marc Aurelius." -Rivarol

Sigh, not this again.

Literacy represents a general degree of education, which was indeed required for factory work. If you have literacy of <20, then you're not suitably educated for the job. There's also levels of social mobility etc included in the stat.

Moreover, unless we want a situation where Russia is top industry in 1850 onwards, shortly followed by Austria, then a literacy requirement is needed. It also means that these countries can keep their armies as large or larger than high-lit nations, despite having much lower promotion and demotion.

PDM has ALWAYS had the 20% lit requirement, it's nothing new, has been debated about twenty times and every single time the advantages have massively outweighed the disadvantages. It's sticking.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

I agree with the requirement, but maybe the requirements for capitalists could be tightened? Making them like clerks and requiring 50% literacy would slow down Russian industrialization further unless they use state capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Caewil View Post
    I agree with the requirement, but maybe the requirements for capitalists could be tightened? Making them like clerks and requiring 50% literacy would slow down Russian industrialization further unless they use state capitalism.
    I've done that before; problem is, it starves a lot of nations of industry altogether. I'm happy enough for Capis to promote from middle class POPs regardless of LIT (or at lit 20), since they can set up factories and get craftsmen and capitalists are rarer than hen's teeth anyway (middle POPs almost never promote in large numbers).

Europa Universalis IV

KanyeWest, do not steal topic. I'm perfectly fine with this restriction, I just don't know what to do as Russia if not industrializing.

Quote Originally Posted by leoric View Post
    KanyeWest, do not steal topic. I'm perfectly fine with this restriction, I just don't know what to do as Russia if not industrializing.

How in the world was I stealing? I was merely commenting that I, personally, did not know the reason what the restriction was for because I'm trying to industrialize Poland, which at the beginning of the game is in a similar situation as Russia; I'm barely gathering any craftsmen, and I wanted to know why. Now I do. Now relax.
    Nationality: British, living in the provinces-in-revolt of British North America, New York.
    Ideology: Reactionary.
    Issues: British Pan-nationalism
    Current work: PROVINCE_NAME
    Cash reserves: 50
    Revolt risk: 99%
    Militancy: 10
    Consciousness: 10
    "The biggest argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter." -Winston Churchill
    "The absolute ruler may be a Nero, but he is sometimes a Titus or Marc Aurelius; the people is often Nero, but never Marc Aurelius." -Rivarol

Quote Originally Posted by leoric View Post
    I just don't know what to do as Russia if not industrializing.
    Rampage around Asia, beat up on the OE, and generally do whatever it takes to remain a GP when you can't earn industrial score properly. Kinda like real life Russia, tbh.

Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by KanyeWest View Post

How in the world was I stealing?
    Exactly by questioning for
    Quote Originally Posted by KanyeWest View Post
    the reason what the restriction was for because I'm trying to industrialize Poland
    . How do your post fit with the Russian initial strategy that does not involve industrialization?
    Naselus - I've tried that, but was DoWed by GB for the sake of Eskimos freedom. So I've had to reload, build a more significant army and form a lot of alliances. Now I'm National Focusing for bureaucrats - to feed that army while increasing literacy with budget spendings.

Rome GoldVictoria 2

As this is one of the enxt nations I'll be playing ... it sounds like a real challenge. So I'm looking forward to it ... although if I start getting revolts galore ... I'll be ticked and quit.

Anyway, the comments on industrialization and literacy are fine, imo, for this topic. It does pertain to Russia, and keeps the board topics limited, which the moderators prefer anyway. So thanks for bringing that up. I didn't know about it either.

Close the worLd,.txEn eht nepO GAGA Extrem's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    King Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

My strategy for Russia:
    (1) Promote bureaucrats in your largest provinces until you have 1% national.
    (2) Promote clergymen in your largest provinces until you have 2% national.
    (3) Promote Capitalists in your largest provinces.

Focus on culture techs to boost your literacy. Improve power industry to pay your clergymen.
    The rest depends on your strategy - army techs for expansion, culture for peaceful improvement.

Rome GoldVictoria 2

When you say "Improve your power industry" what techs are you actually referring to?
    Last edited by the_Hussar; 20-03-2012 at 17:31.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Probably the techs on the left hand side of the industry tab. Steam engine and turbines and automobiles, oh my! All of those techs have enourmous bonuses to RGO output, which in Russia can be the difference in keeping your budget in the black while running 100% education and admin funding.

The techs that give admin efficiency are also critical.

+ Reply to Thread