+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Province Buildings

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty II CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

New Province Buildings

What does the team think of adding new province buildings? I have made changes to the interface which allows three new buildings to be added:

I solved many of the quirks with adding them to the interface that my previous attempts had, and the only issue that remains is that they can't have icons of their own show up.

Anything that can be done by province modifiers can also be done by province buildings and naturally, they also work as triggers for events and decisions.

As an example, these three particular buildings I added have the following characteristics: School (increases consciousness in it's province, reduces MTTH for technological effect spread - like tractors and mechanized mining, reduces MTTH for random events that increase literacy in the province, max 1 level), Printing Press (increases consciousness in it's province, can be built by capitalists, max 2 levels) and Counting House (increases factory output in it's state, can be built by capitalists, max 1 level).
    Imperium 1.4 (Mod for Victoria II)

Austria: efficient like the Germans, musical like the Italians and refined like the French.

I'm certainly interested in the idea - many's the time I downloaded Imperium to see what you were upto on the new buildings thing, since I have some ideas for that (not least making certain buildings attract immigrants, so that large cities would suck in more people), but I need to know more about the mechancis - are they tied directly to the buildings in buildings.txt or are they being applied as event mods?

I'm also not sure about the buildings you've given as examples there. I like the school but print is a factory good for PDM, and the counting house is covered by banks. However, I can see use for (just for example) churches, sewer systems, Universities, watch stations...

So yes to new buildings in theory, but need mroe info on exactly how they work atm, and then some brainstorming on which ones to use and what they'll do.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Rome GoldVictoria 2

Wow ... what you guys can do to these games amazes me....

Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRise of Prussia

Quote Originally Posted by Naselus View Post
    I'm certainly interested in the idea - many's the time I downloaded Imperium to see what you were upto on the new buildings thing, since I have some ideas for that (not least making certain buildings attract immigrants, so that large cities would suck in more people), but I need to know more about the mechancis - are they tied directly to the buildings in buildings.txt or are they being applied as event mods?

I'm also not sure about the buildings you've given as examples there. I like the school but print is a factory good for PDM, and the counting house is covered by banks. However, I can see use for (just for example) churches, sewer systems, Universities, watch stations...

So yes to new buildings in theory, but need mroe info on exactly how they work atm, and then some brainstorming on which ones to use and what they'll do.
    I'm glad that you like the idea

The mechanics are tied directly to the buildings in buildings.txt; so far all modifier effects that I've tested that work in province modifiers also work in province buildings. For instance, this is how the school is set up:

Code:
    school = {   
    	type = school

cost = 0
    	goods_cost =
    	{
    		lumber = 100
    		cement = 100
    		steel = 100
    		furniture = 25
    	}
    	time = 540
    	visibility = yes
    	onmap = yes
    	max_level = 1
    	province = yes

pop_consciousness_modifier = 0.01
    }
    Immigrant attraction should as such work, since there is a modifier effect for it.

The thing though is that only one modifier effect can be used per building. So the building can increase consciousness or attract immigrants, but it can't do both at the same time (although, naturally, a province modifier can be added on top of the building through a province event that uses the "has_building" trigger).

The biggest advantages that I see buildings having over province modifiers are:
    - They can be built by capitalists.
    - Victoria II lacks province decisions, which can make the application of province modifiers on a per-province basis unhandy.
    - Buildings remain after conquest.

As far as I've seen, the AI doesn't build the new buildings. That is not a big issue however, since we can give provinces buildings through events (so there can be AI-specific events for adding the new buildings to their provinces).

About the examples, I gave them just to give an idea of what can be done; I'm aware that PDM has a newspaper factory and that as such a printing press province building would be unsuitable.

Austria: efficient like the Germans, musical like the Italians and refined like the French.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrelvis View Post
    I
    As far as I've seen, the AI doesn't build the new buildings. That is not a big issue however, since we can give provinces buildings through events (so there can be AI-specific events for adding the new buildings to their provinces).
    Hmmm, that's very irritating But I guess if Capis can build them then it's no biggy.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Hmmm, that's very irritating But I guess if Capis can build them then it's no biggy.
    So long as the Capis do so. If the AI doesn't build them period, I'd say that's a deal-breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylock View Post
    So long as the Capis do so. If the AI doesn't build them period, I'd say that's a deal-breaker.
    The capis do if you set the building to be capitalist-buildable, like the building in this example:

Code:
    counting_house = {   
    	type = counting_house

cost = 0
    	goods_cost =
    	{
    		lumber = 100
    		cement = 100
    		steel = 100
    		furniture = 25
    	}
    	time = 360
    	visibility = yes
    	onmap = no
    	max_level = 1
    	province = yes

local_factory_output = 0.25

pop_build_factory = yes
    }
    But it is also possible to, like I said, have AI events that build the buildings for the AI (as there may be some buildings you don't want to be buildable by capitalists), such as this one:

Code:
    # School
    province_event = {
    	id = 85004
    	title = "AI_EVENT_NAME"
    	desc = "AI_EVENT_DESC"

trigger = {
    		ai = yes
    		NOT = {
    			has_building = school
    		}
    	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
    		months = 2000

modifier = {
    			factor = 0.75
    			clergymen = 0.02
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 0.7
    			is_capital = yes
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			literacy = 0.9
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			literacy = 0.8
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			literacy = 0.7
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			literacy = 0.6
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 1.5
    			NOT = {
    				literacy = 0.5
    			}
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 3
    			NOT = {
    				literacy = 0.25
    			}
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			owner = {
    				education_spending = 0.9
    			}
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			owner = {
    				education_spending = 0.8
    			}
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			owner = {
    				education_spending = 0.7
    			}
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			owner = {
    				education_spending = 0.6
    			}
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			owner = {
    				NOT = {
    					num_of_cities = 30
    				}
    			}
    		}
    		modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			owner = {
    				NOT = {
    					num_of_cities = 25
    				}
    			}
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			owner = {
    				NOT = {
    					num_of_cities = 20
    				}
    			}
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			owner = {
    				NOT = {
    					num_of_cities = 15
    				}
    			}
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			owner = {
    				NOT = {
    					num_of_cities = 10
    				}
    			}
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			owner = {
    				NOT = {
    					num_of_cities = 5
    				}
    			}
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			average_consciousness = 6
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			average_consciousness = 7
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			average_consciousness = 8
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 1.1
    			average_militancy = 5
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 1.2
    			average_militancy = 6
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 1.3
    			average_militancy = 7
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 0.95
    			NOT = {
    				average_militancy = 5
    			}
    		}

modifier = {
    			factor = 8
    			state_scope = {
    				is_colonial = yes
    			}
    		}
    	}

option = {
    		name = "EVTOPTGOOD"
    		school = 1
    	}
    }

Yeah, I'd rather not add them by event - at least, not much, maybe have some rare events that do so ('Church built' or something. Might be nice for colonies to convert a chunk of POPs too).

It'd also be interesting if we can tied colony conversion into buildings - can't convert to state unless there's a church, school and Mayor's office or something.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    I may have mentioned this in the Imperium thread, but aren't some of this buildings a little... dated? Shouldn't most European provinces have Churches and Counting Houses at the start? Have you considered looking at late-EU3 buildings for inspiration?

The idea is definitely good though especially since more than one building can now be constructed per province. I also think that the modding community really needs to look into doing scroll bars so things can be added to the interface without drastically changing the layout.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomgK3tchup View Post
    I may have mentioned this in the Imperium thread, but aren't some of this buildings a little... dated? Shouldn't most European provinces have Churches and Counting Houses at the start? Have you considered looking at late-EU3 buildings for inspiration?
    The buildings can be set on history files to make the desired provinces have them; the interface can only house three more buildings though, so indeed care should be had in selecting the more relevant buildings. It is possible to make the interface house even more buildings, but it would have to be expanded horizontally.

The idea is definitely good though especially since more than one building can now be constructed per province. I also think that the modding community really needs to look into doing scroll bars so things can be added to the interface without drastically changing the layout.
    Unfortunately, AFAIK we don't have enough access to the interface to put in scroll bars.

Cathedral, University, City Hall. Better? :P

71 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyDeus VultVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Cathedral, University, City Hall. Better? :P
    Cathedrals seem medieval and city halls Early Modern. Is the U.S., the three prizes for becoming a state were the State Capital, the State University, and the State Prison.

I do like this idea in general, though.
    Sages such as Yao and Shun and Tyrants such as Chieh and Chou come but once a thousand generations. Mediocrities follow on the heels of each other; the rulers of the world are invariably among them. -- Han Fei Tzu
    When the lips are gone, the teeth are cold. -- Han Fei Tzu
    I have not been tested (with the responsibility of high office), so I have learned many (lesser) skills. -- Confucius
    Simplified characters are an abomination. -- Me

The cost of Steam:
    PI games not bought because of Steam: 20
    PDS games not bought because of Steam: 1

PDS games bought despite Steam: 1

depends what you define city hall.some sort of city hall existed long before out time frame

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2

I don't know if I'd really want to start the argument over which provinces should already have buildings like these... and, if the AI doesn't build them outside of capis (which restricts them to civs only), I question their usefulness. If there's something specific they can help with, some use outside of adding modifiers that we already have plenty of, I'd say great. Otherwise what's the point?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrelvis View Post
    Unfortunately, AFAIK we don't have enough access to the interface to put in scroll bars.
    This isn't true. The French guy that did a 18th century scenario created scroll bars for extended tech screen. If we have the ability add scroll bars then we simply need to figure out to set them up.

It would certainly fix the mess that is the Politics screen.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomgK3tchup View Post
    This isn't true. The French guy that did a 18th century scenario created scroll bars for extended tech screen. If we have the ability add scroll bars then we simply need to figure out to set them up.

It would certainly fix the mess that is the Politics screen.
    You're talking about this mod, right? Do we actually have confirmation that it's really a scroll bar (either mention that it's a scroll bar, or a download of some kind)? It looks just like check boxes, to show the selection of techs a country has and can research - especially since the compacted techs end with the "Modern" techs at the bottom (and with 10 techs to a column, 5 columns to a section, and 5 sections, we get to the mentioned 250 techs without scroll bars). I'm not so sure there's really the interface modder's Holy Grail there after all.
    Interactive AARs:
    Mutual Assured Destruction: The Presidents 1836-1936: Former Vice President William Gallatin
    Forward the Revolution(s)!: A Federation of "Equals" : Naval Officer Klemens Haas

All we really have to back up the scroll bars thing is a single SS from a mod that was never uploaded. And yeah, they do look an awful lot like tick boxes to me.

HOWEVER, scroll bars are added via the interface files. I can and have removed scroll bars from places by accident and yet managed to launch the game, so in theory at least scroll bars should be possible.

A scrollbar would be great, if we could make it functional. I'm fairly certain though those were checkboxes on the technology screen, as the 50 technologies in the category are already shown in the same screen.

Anyhow, as I said previously, the province interface could be extended horizontally, like this:

I'm not sure I'd want it extended to fill the whole screen.

As Rylock says, new buildings are of relatively limited use if the AI never builds them, or if Capis will just spam them everywhere. Still, it's worth testing out scrollbars more anyway, to see if we can get the damn things to work.

I'm not sure I'd want it extended to fill the whole screen.
    I don't think it fills up too much space:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast