• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(402379)

Second Lieutenant
1 Badges
Oct 30, 2011
  • Sword of the Stars II
2 days after SotS2 came out I'd come to the conclusion that stimulus was simply not working or worth it (or a little of both) and started simply setting it to 0 right at turn 1. Then a few patches ago, I learned that they'd implemented mining stations and that the game would spawn civilian owned mining stations if you had points into "mining" stimulus and the right technology. I kinda shrugged my shoulders and kept setting stimulus to 0, honestly mining stations didn't seem worth the credits i was saving by ignoring stimulus. This patch they've added in something interesting with stimulus though, if i understand correctly, colonization stimulus now creates "independant" colonies. At a first glance, you might wonder well why should i spend money on independent colonies not under my control? But the true value of these colonies is you don't pay "development" costs. Assuming you've taken all the good "under 300" worlds with your colony ships, the only free worlds are the ones you've left uncolonized because of the expensive colony development costs associated with worlds in the 400+ hazard range. If this stimulus works like I understand it, what you get is worlds colonized on their own that you can simply leave alone until they're grown-up (or at leasted terraformed down under 200 hazard). Since only the bad worlds are left open for colonization, this would means you could save a lot of money, get worlds willing to join you later, and not have to pay for them or even send ships to colonize them.

So my question is, has anyone played around with this new feature enough to give us a feel of its working and if colony stimulus is worth it now?

Trade stimulus will spawn civilian trade ships that will cost you nothing but will pay taxes, mining stations will add 500 I/O to a system or 250 to a close system if there are no colonies in the system they spawn at, so it's a nice boost.

As for the colonization, it's cool but until they add the ability to close a system for colonization it could be a pain in the ass.

Warder

One thing I have been wondering is how certain stimulus work in conjunction with the Zuul.

Zuul do not have civilian stations (nor freighters to my knowledge), but they do have breeding stations but not actually seen any benefit to breeding stations yet... though official documentation on what they do and what the benefit of "More slaves" is meant to be is more or less non-existent so could just be missing their benefit...

But how does stimulus actually work for zuul compared to other races that have civilian stations and freighter trading?

One thing I have been wondering is how certain stimulus work in conjunction with the Zuul.

Zuul do not have civilian stations (nor freighters to my knowledge), but they do have breeding stations but not actually seen any benefit to breeding stations yet... though official documentation on what they do and what the benefit of "More slaves" is meant to be is more or less non-existent so could just be missing their benefit...

But how does stimulus actually work for zuul compared to other races that have civilian stations and freighter trading?

I have no idea, Zuul is the only race i haven't played in SotS2 and SotS1...

Warder

i still turn the stimulus for colonization off
i am only playing hiver and in one game were i had turned colonization stimulus on always the same happend. My survey fleet succesfully surveyed a system and bevor my own colonization fleet was able to travel there... (one turn! because gateship was set up) a neutral colony established on the world i wanted to colonize. Maybe it works better for the other races because they know more of the galaxy and so the neutrals dont have to settle up right in your expansion way but as hiver they are a pain in the ass.

I noticed when putting a lot of credits into trade stimulus that there were a lot of freighters being built. I had a partucular colony that was consistently being attacked by pirates every 15 turns. Every time the pirates attacked there were more and more freighters in the battle on my side. I think it got up to around 7 or 8 at turn 150 and I had only ever built 2. However I didn't notice an increase in trade income unless I specifically built the freighters so it must not be working correctly.

i think your star system just hasnt provided enough trade goods for all these freighters! And because of that you have not recieved any more trade income.

make sure you have a civilian base and enough docks to accomodate the freighters. every level of civilian base provides 3 docks, except for lvl 5 i believe.

okay; although i've been playing Sol Force; now i understand the stimulus; i've been providing Cr for all 3 stimuli; w/o much understanding for mining/colonization. I didn't like indys colonizing and depleting the biosphere to 0; although i don't know what detriments occur to a world w/ low biospheres.

One of the 1st things I research is FTL Econ; and so in my games, I'm usually flush w/ Cr.