• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannie

Paradox Publishing
10 Badges
Nov 9, 2010
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
In conjunction with GDC 2012 new assets are revealed for historical stategy game Napoleon's Campaigns II!

Watch the first video developer interview here:

[video=youtube;PB_w-N3hZqM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB_w-N3hZqM[/video]

Brand new screenshots:

NapoleonsCampaignsII_Screenshot_2012_02_24_01.pngNapoleonsCampaignsII_Screenshot_2012_02_24_02.pngNapoleonsCampaignsII_Screenshot_2012_02_24_03.pngNapoleonsCampaignsII_Screenshot_2012_02_24_04.pngNapoleonsCampaignsII_Screenshot_2012_02_24_05.png

Napoleon's Campaigns II is the heir of the original and successful Napoleon's Campaign. This historical strategy game is dedicated to replaying the whole of the Napoleonic Wars (1805-1815).

Features
- With Napoleon's Campaigns II you will play an epic grand historical scenario covering the whole of the Napoleonic Wars, ten years of conflict in Europe and the rest of the world between 1805 and 1815
- The game will feature production of units, diplomacy with other nations (minor and major), army and fleet management, and the quest for becoming the dominant power of Europe, the ultimate goal of every major nation involved
- In addition, the French will have to satisfy the 'Napoleonic Glory' goal, a concept rendering the dynastic appetite of the Emperor
- All the hundreds of various units, with their beautiful uniforms, and over 600 historical leaders with unique abilities and portraits are here, as well as the events of the age.
- Organize divisions, armies and corps, manage supply and morale, and choose your leaders in command
- The largest Napoleonic Europe map ever, with unequalled look and detail, also including famous overseas theaters (e.g. North America, the Caribbean or India)
- Multiplayer for up to 8 players

More about the game
Product page: http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/na...s-campaigns-ii
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NapoleonCampII
Twitter: https://twitter.com/napoleonscamp
Forums: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...s-Campaigns-II

Looks great.

But imperial glory seems very complex concept. IIRC Napoleon's family wasn't all that good on the throne, especially in Spain. Or was too independent like Netherlands. I wonder how you'll handle this.

Exellent video! This game is going to be fantastic. Am I correct that we will be able to arrange our forces right before the battle so as to have some influence on the likely outcome? It looks like we can make the right flank relatively weak and make the major push on the left if we so desire. If that is correct then that is something these games have needed for some time and will be a very nice improvement.

It certainly looks interesting!

I hope we'll get a lot of these developer diaries. Especially I'd like one about supply, which is one of the more cooler things in AGEOD games.

Looks like the detail of an AGEOD/Paradox France game, but it looks like the Clausewitz engine. That could be a very potent combination.

There's definitely stuff in there that reminds me of Vicky II and CK II. It looks great so far!

i will be interested to know were the leader traits will show up, mouse over?

Can't wait for this!

Can we get a little more description on diplomacy? Very important in this era for the non-French contingents and British involvement.

Money is the only currency in game? No food issues? How does supply work? Technology?

So essentially, you've created a game with CK2 style map graphics, beautiful sprites, an awesome combat system and its all set in the Napoleonic era?

This looks like it could easily become one of my favourites. Good work guys.

How on earth did I not notice this for so long? I shall keep an eye on this, yes, I shall.

I think to keep making games in the current manner is just silly and lazy. I would like to see a game, that has true "strategy" where you have the map, but you also can go to battles via a loading screen like in Total war games, and actually control the Brigades. They don't have to be individual men like in TW, but at least give us a hex map and a few men lined up with the stats below them and allow us to actually SEE and control the battles to some extent. They had this in age of rifles back in 1995, so why do they abandon this. Sometimes people can be so smart, and so dumb at the same time. It just makes no sense to me why they would compelety and utterly abandon such gameplay. There really is very little strategy in games like Hoi and vicky, since you cant actually control the battles yourself. Herer, Something like this........
http://download.cnet.com/Age-of-Rifles-demo/3000-2119_4-10000085.html

I must agree, but every try to make such a perfect game has failed in the past though I remember playing Emperor by KOEI with great enjoyment in my youthful. Take TW, strategy and battle AI is stupid to say the least. Even a 12 years old can see the basic logic (if we can call it this way) and beat it after a couple of hours.

Back in 90's Napoleon 1813, good on paper, was full of bugs, almost unplayable.

Maybe Crown of Glory tried something along your suggested lines, I never tried it after I saw old exes turn based tactical battles.

At the end I think that even without going into tactical battle, there are wise ways to portray a tactical engagement on a strategical map.

I really hope that NC2 real time strategical engine would allow some non trivial way to fight big and decisive engagements.
The right/center/left/reserve system is indeed a step forward, but some improvements must be made on how to deal with reinforcements and FOW.
EU3 just put new troops in the main stack not allowing for flanking/rear maneuvers which were the essence of napoleonic warfare.
If the engine can understand the direction of reinforcement this will allow player to lead separation/concentration of corps with variable and funny results. The player should be able to select roughly the time of arrival of reinforcements (maybe allowing for slow, normal, forced march stance).

Furthermore fog of war is important. Being able to see every stack in an adjacent province is not realistic: if stack closer to enemy has lot of light cavalry the stack behind should be masked to enemy view. I really hope FOW will be computed on real distance and not on province range.

It really depends on how much they can modify of the original Clausewitz engine to better suit a napoleonic style warfare. Since I'm much involved in MP games, I think that tactical battles are not a doable choice, you cannot of course put other players on stand by to resolve a given battle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.