• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rabble159

Sergeant
12 Badges
Feb 8, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • March of the Eagles
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Alright, for those of you who have played this game quite a bit the current playlist can get a little stale. No worries though, it's extremely easy to add your own songs!

The songs are located in:

Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\music

But they're all .ogg files... so how do we do this?

So you want some new songs
1. Get the mp3 of the song you want. Unless for whatever reason you want to play CK2 to the guitar solo in "Ride the Lightning", you can probably fill your playlist with fitting music that's very much in the public domain. Like "written 700 years ago" public domain.

2. Convert that mp3 to a .ogg file using this, which is quite clean and easy to use: http://media.io/

3. Drop that .ogg file into the music folder I mentioned earlier.

4. Now go into the text file "songs.txt" in that same music folder. Now you have to add your .ogg to the playlist. For every song in the playlist you will see a string of characters that looks like this:

song = {
name = "thelastcrusade_finale.ogg"

chance = {
modifier = {
factor = 1
}

}
}

Simply copy +paste that one time for each song you're adding. Then just go in and replace the duplicated .ogg line with the name of the file you've added. And that's it, you're done. I would then go into the game and use the console command "nextsong" to cycle through until your new songs play, just to make sure they're working well. The ones I have added fit in very very nicely with the rest of the soundtrack and the volume has been just at the right level. One song did crash my game somehow, so I simply went back and deleted it and the line from the text document. Well actually I just changed the "1" to a "0" because i'm incredibly lazy, but yeah.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Thank you. This has been very helpful.

one thing to note, the sample rate must not be greater than 44kHz, or it will cause issues (I had a soundtrack with 48kHz and it caused weird scratching noises on output.

So I did this and it doesn't work. Is this still accurate, or have they patched it? Because after 800 hours, it really is kind of insane to be listening to the same music over and over again...

So I did this and it doesn't work. Is this still accurate, or have they patched it? Because after 800 hours, it really is kind of insane to be listening to the same music over and over again...

Yes it still works this way.

Maybe this thread explains it better for you:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...or-what-its-got-code-no-dont-run-away.593803/

I convert my files in Audacity ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/ ) by the way.

Check this mod for example:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/immersive-music-mod.591267/
or VIET music
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/viet-viet-music-download-here.755393/

There is not much you can do wrong. Hmm...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yup, that's pretty much how I did it and it doesn't work. I converted the mp3 to ogg through VLC, but that shouldn't matter... No idea what's the issue. Here, I'll just upload it and you try it out and tell me if it works for you, or what.
http://www.filedropper.com/music_17

You didn't look at the examples i had linked, eh ?
You didn't add your songs to the songs.txt file for one.

Whatever, misunderstanding, forget about the opening post for a second.
The good news, the conversion to ogg worked. The files are good.
Let's create a true mod then:

Delete all the vanilla files in your "music" folder of the mod you linked to me (Do not delete or edit any game files in the original game folder).

Create a folder with a mod name for you. Like "MyMusicMod".
Move your "music" folder (which only contains your own music files now) into it.

Now open the songs.txt file in the "music" folder and
replace the vanilla song names with yours.
So for example
Code:
song = {
    name = "akingisdead.ogg"

chance = {
        modifier = {
            factor = 1
        }
    }
}

to
Code:
song = {
    name = "cantiga.ogg"

chance = {
        modifier = {
            factor = 1
        }
    }
}

Do this until you have all your music files mentioned in the songs.txt.
If there is no original one left, simply copy the standard, as in the above example and add it in the songs.txt file. If there are any original ones left, delete them.

Now you already have the mod itself, but you need to create a file which gets recognised by the game and which makes it show in the Mod tab of the launcher.
Therefore you create a text file.
Name it "MyMusciMod".
Now open the file.
Add
Code:
name = "MyMusicMod"
path = "mod/MyMusicMod"
replace_path="music"
into it.

Now change the file extension from mod to txt, so that you will have a "MyMusicMod.mod" file.
You will get a warning about file format change something. Ignore that.
You will now see that it turned into a media file.
You can still open it with Notepad (It's recommended to use Notepad++ for modding).

(IF you want to hear your music files additionaly to CK2 vanilla music files and not only your mod music, then add a # in front of the replace_path line in the MyMusicMod.mod file.
So it looks as this: #replace_path="music")

Now you have a MyMusicMod folder and a MyMusicMod.mod file.
Copy these two into your mod folder in Documents/ParadoxInteractive/Crusader Kings 2/mod
When you start the game now, open the Mod tab in the launcher. You should see a MyMusicMod there.
Check it and you should hear your music as soon as you start to play a game.

You will still hear vanilla music on load and in the main menu, as the aforementioned doesn't change the startup music file.

Here is an example of how i made a quick mod (with a single music file though) with the silly song "Whur Muh Boats At".*
As soon as i start a game, this would be the only song playing until i go mad:
https://mega.nz/#!hBw10J5L!dipVthN1geyzBdE6xROt3rOU3bSajw5LFm-TiOtk_B8
(new link, made a mistake)

*Source: Warning, AGOT related: www.youtube.com/watch?v=P38EG97zlOg

Last edited:
Great, thanks man, the mod works very well. Too bad some songs are just too loud, while others a bit quiet, but it works at least. Now, I'm very positive I indeed DID write the song names into the text file, as you can even see the date of modification of the file is the same as on all the songs themselves, I even tried to copy them in random position, because I feared it had some impact of only selecting in some precise range, no idea how or why it got deleted, but it may have been one other music mod I had running at the same time, which made all songs playable for whatever religion or culture you were, so I turned it off and voila. Anyways thanks for the help.

Great, thanks man, the mod works very well. Too bad some songs are just too loud, while others a bit quiet, but it works at least.

Cool.

You could modify the volume with Audacity.
Oh, i think i mentioned something similar already...:D
Cheers