• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As CK2 and Sengoku are quite similar, CK2 being far better imo, most Sengoku owners are playing CK2 atm...

Sengoku seems to offer very little variety when it comes to events, clans and lands. One successful game, and you've experienced 95% of what the game has to offer.

Well the game doesn't have that much to talk about. Anyway, I'm still playing it.

Zero forum activity doesn't necessarily mean that the game is dead. Sengoku plays much easier than the other paradox games, so there is also less need for discussions.

I am still playing Sengoku, and continuing to enjoy it. As others have noted, it is simpler than Paradox' other hallmark titles (CK2, EU3, HoI3, PoN) and can be more easily mastered.

But since you can play a game of it so readily, I find I can always boot up a new campaign and play a couple of turns each day with little need to go back over rules, etc. This alone guarantees it a continuing place on my hard drive. I usually take games off once I've played through them once or twice, but Sengoku has joined Civ and SWTOR as something that's always there ready to boot up whenever I feel like it.

Sengoku is fun, but honestly it is basically as PI mini-game. Right now CKII is fully absorbing folks....the good thing is that, AFAIK, Sengoku really did help with the development of that title.

Now, if they would just put all of that learning together and come out with a Rome II I would jump for joy!

I remember Rome was something like that except Rome was not so simple (but still very simple) and got expansion. And it was about ROME. Haven't played Sengoku myself except demo, but I imagine it's more of competitive wargame which would be nice if everyone here wasn't fan of historical sandbox. All those guys who want competitive wargame went for Shogun 2, I imagine.

Let's hope P-x learned a lot about us. And will make a big expansion that will turn this game in a pile of complexity we all like. Or at least will do something better next time.

Haven't played Sengoku myself except demo, but I imagine it's more of competitive wargame which would be nice if everyone here wasn't fan of historical sandbox. All those guys who want competitive wargame went for Shogun 2, I imagine.

The Demo tells you jst 10% about the awesomeness of Sengoku. :D
It doesn't contain the other 1551 scenario, and in the limited time of Demo you can not fully enjoy clan management. In my opinion, the true fun in this game comes after you have owned 10-20% of Japan. The plotting system is well built and AI uses it effectively, so you must be very careful to keep high opinion of the vassals and not to make too many enemies.

It doesn't contain the other 1551 scenario, and in the limited time of Demo you can not fully enjoy clan management. In my opinion, the true fun in this game comes after you have owned 10-20% of Japan. The plotting system is well built and AI uses it effectively, so you must be very careful to keep high opinion of the vassals and not to make too many enemies.
Or you badass mod my japanese friend.

Sounds interesting, but I'm more into sandboxes. Sengoku is more... technical, you're playing to win. I have enough of that from more traditional strategies like Company of Heroes or Heroes. Also I don't care much about Japan history so all those provinces and people don't mean anything to me. And if it's a wargame, battles could be more advanced, like in HoI3, those are just like in EU3 as I've seen.

Or you badass mod my japanese friend.

Thanks, it is far from the complete version, though. ^^

Sounds interesting, but I'm more into sandboxes. Sengoku is more... technical, you're playing to win. I have enough of that from more traditional strategies like Company of Heroes or Heroes. Also I don't care much about Japan history so all those provinces and people don't mean anything to me. And if it's a wargame, battles could be more advanced, like in HoI3, those are just like in EU3 as I've seen.

I understand what you mean and these are the reasons why people won't buy Sengoku. This game has the goal as traditional RPGs and not few Paradoxians love more free-play style, though I think this game is still a sandbox game in the sense of "nothing is deterministic at the game start". You can also do a roll-play as loyal retainer. This game handles Japanese history, and it means for some people nothing else than the history of a fantasy story. It seems a war game, though it is a game of diplomacy and dynasties, while I agree that the aspect of wars could be more tweaked.

Sadly there is few activities on this forum, but it could be a good sign that this game is polished. In addition, some fans are discussing very constructive in a thread (well, the thread of my mod ;)).

I understand what you mean and these are the reasons why people won't buy Sengoku. This game has the goal as traditional RPGs and not few Paradoxians love more free-play style, though I think this game is still a sandbox game in the sense of "nothing is deterministic at the game start". You can also do a roll-play as loyal retainer. This game handles Japanese history, and it means for some people nothing else than the history of a fantasy story. It seems a war game, though it is a game of diplomacy and dynasties, while I agree that the aspect of wars could be more tweaked.
Sadly there is few activities on this forum, but it could be a good sign that this game is polished. In addition, some fans are discussing very constructive in a thread (well, the thread of my mod ;)).

Goals aren't bad by themselves. I even regret sometimes that EU/Victoria don't have "The winner is you" screen when I've obviously completed everything I've wanted. I'd like to see some nation-specific goals there like in total war, but it seems they are replaced by achievements. The problem is in Sengoku there's only one way to win - FIGHT. As I understand there are no casus bellis, no family inheritance, no trading provinces etc so your only way to win is to grab land, to grand land you have to win war by brute force (as there's not much tatcics in P-x games), to start a war you have to just start a war. So the only decision is when to start a war and on whom (you can fight everyone at any time, right?), plus some inner clan management. Fighting seems abstract and streamlined, clan management seems tedious micromanagement.

Maybe there's a good game there but it's too small. Maybe when they make expansion and demo/reviews will be good I'll get it, but now it will catch me only if I get some Japan-fanboy decease.

(By the way, your bookmark mod is both beautiful and simple, I'm sure P-x should include it in inevitable EU3: Expansion to End All Expansions)

you can fight everyone at any time, right?
You have to pay honor points for starting a war. The price goes up if the target has your hostage, the target has good relations with you, the target is smaller than you, the target has your troops marching into their territory... Going low on honor is not a good idea, since High honor is a vassal relation modifier, which can mean the difference between an organized fight (sort of) and a daimyo starting a civil war.
Mind, a single war can go on for 40 years in Sengoku, there's no exhaustion, neither relation nor economy penalties from using regenerating levies.

I actually like it because it has a goal. I played CK2 but after a while it's just ... meh, I mean, no goal just continue doing what you've been doing (and when you get big enough, that means suppressing revolts every few minutes and stopping the same plots over and over).
I'd like it if these games had a long term goal you can decide when you start your game. In EU3 the last (or second to last) expansion brought mini-goals, which I loved. This would take it a step further. Not everybody is into full sandbox experience, but we love the strategy aspect and approach of these games.

I am fully absorbed by CK2 and can admit I have not come back to playing Sengoku, but I have been keeping my eye on the forum. I am hoping to see mods by chatnoir17 and a little love from PI bring this title up to speed in the coming months. I find myself missing certain aspects of it and wishing there was a CK2:Sengoku.