• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, glad I've found this AAR. It's really well written and it just sucks me into your story.

As a Dutchman (Netherlands, not Belgium/Flanders) myself, the only nitpick I have is with 'de Vlaanderen'. It should either be Boudewijn van Vlaanderen or Baldwin of Flanders. Baldwin de Vlaanderen makes no sense what so ever ('de' which means 'of' in French). :p

In reality though this is a really really small nitpick compared to your amazing story!

Keep it up!

Thanks for the comment. I don't find any use of "de Vlaanderen" when I search the text, however the anglicanized christian name is of course a mistake on my part. Probably due to the shorthand I use in my note-taking where he is referred to as "Bald" in combination with a lot of hours playing CKI where they used a french version of the name, which meant that I didn't go back and check his name when I wrote about him. Thanks for noticing however, and I will use the correct spelling in the future. The Dutch have a rather important background role during a large part of my story, so they need to be distinguished.

I think that is a problem with the game rather than his AAR.

Nah, all me. Or at least the game uses the correct spelling when I checked on it. Even noticed today that the spelling of a characters name change if their culture changes as my poor poor Jean Capet, Crown prince of France became Johann the German thanks to him being raised by foreigners (Poor Johann will not be featured in the story. I just couldn't deal with a German heir, so he had to go - so no spoilers there)

Interesting. As much as I love Capets (and Philippe, since he's the first of his name via his mother's newfangled foreign traditions), and dislike German spellings of good French names, I most wonder about how the Saxons will recover from that disaster.

Poor Jean.

Poor Jean indeed.

Interesting. As much as I love Capets (and Philippe, since he's the first of his name via his mother's newfangled foreign traditions), and dislike German spellings of good French names, I most wonder about how the Saxons will recover from that disaster.

Oh, part of this will be answered in the forthcoming two updates methinks.

---

Most likely the update I'm working on at the moment will be ready tonight, if I choose to actually use it. At the moment it introduces a new POW, this timelines Edgar the Atheling, whom I do not have any real storyline for beyond this update (although I might consider expanding upon him in a sideline story some time from now), and I aim to keep a low level of POWs and keep away from one-chapter characters, if they do not serve a very important purpose. We'll just have to see what I do.

I would rather call it an indefinite hiatus. I've been suffering from a stomach disease the last six months or so, which has led to my studies suffering quite severely, so at the moment I'm trying to catch up there and recover my personal life. Might be that I'll have the time to start up again this summer, might be not until this fall, but I will try to get back to it when things slow down.

I would rather call it an indefinite hiatus. I've been suffering from a stomach disease the last six months or so, which has led to my studies suffering quite severely, so at the moment I'm trying to catch up there and recover my personal life. Might be that I'll have the time to start up again this summer, might be not until this fall, but I will try to get back to it when things slow down.

Well, when you put it like that I feel bad for nagging! :p
But in all seriousness get well, get everything back on track, AND THEN cave into the peer pressure I'm putting on you to update. >_>

That sucks, I empathise and hope things get better for you soon. I'll be waiting until this can continue someday!

Pics or it didn't happen! Just kidding (seriously, pics aren't necessary), hope you feel better. The AAR was great while it lasted and I look forward to your next effort.

Hi everyone!

I've started to feel a bit better over the last few weeks and would not deem it unlikely that I will return to writing in the coming month. That said I do not know what I intend to write. I've been reading through my old entries in this saga and even though I like Raoul and were looking forward to writing about Philippe's spiralling down and ever down I feel more and more detached from this story whilst I would also like to do an AAR based on the new patches. At the moment I'm considering whether to continue this story at least until the death of Raoul and then maybe see if I want to finish it after all (I was planning to carry on to EU3 and maybe even Victoria 2), or to start fresh on a new story on my updated version of CKII with a new set of characters. Whatever I choose to do I would like to thank everyone for their appreciative words and express my deepest hope that you will continue to follow my writing, no matter what path I go down.

The core of this message is thus: Expect some story from me during the coming month - but it might not be the continuation of this one.

Hi everyone!

I've started to feel a bit better over the last few weeks and would not deem it unlikely that I will return to writing in the coming month. That said I do not know what I intend to write. I've been reading through my old entries in this saga and even though I like Raoul and were looking forward to writing about Philippe's spiralling down and ever down I feel more and more detached from this story whilst I would also like to do an AAR based on the new patches. At the moment I'm considering whether to continue this story at least until the death of Raoul and then maybe see if I want to finish it after all (I was planning to carry on to EU3 and maybe even Victoria 2), or to start fresh on a new story on my updated version of CKII with a new set of characters. Whatever I choose to do I would like to thank everyone for their appreciative words and express my deepest hope that you will continue to follow my writing, no matter what path I go down.

The core of this message is thus: Expect some story from me during the coming month - but it might not be the continuation of this one.

Yay a story! If you wanna wait for patch 1.06 to come out before continuing/starting a fresh, thats fine with me! Here's hoping for an update of some sort!

Well, I can reveal that, after accidentally deleting the wrong version of CKII on my computer today when installing the latest patch, The Rules of Sword and Crown is officially not continuing post Raouls death, however I have begun a new project that seems promising and is writing on the prologue as of right now, however this new story takes place in a region which history I really need to refresh, so it will be a little while before I actually post any of it - if I chose to do that one. The first dozen of years however seems promising and rich in blood, betrayal and ambitious men and women, and what more could one ask for to write a good story? I will however reread Rules one last time before I decide to pronounce it dead or to push through with the last two decades (yes old Raoul lived to be very old indeed).

Well, I can reveal that, after accidentally deleting the wrong version of CKII on my computer today when installing the latest patch, The Rules of Sword and Crown is officially not continuing post Raouls death, however I have begun a new project that seems promising and is writing on the prologue as of right now, however this new story takes place in a region which history I really need to refresh, so it will be a little while before I actually post any of it - if I chose to do that one. The first dozen of years however seems promising and rich in blood, betrayal and ambitious men and women, and what more could one ask for to write a good story? I will however reread Rules one last time before I decide to pronounce it dead or to push through with the last two decades (yes old Raoul lived to be very old indeed).

ooh a new AAR in the works? I assure you I will follow it once you start righting!

Just thought of something: For all those, if any, who are subscribed to this AAR, I've started a new one called 'The Curse of Brothers' (link in my signature), playing with Alfonso VI of León. The style is very similar to Rules and for those who enjoyed what I did here, however briefly it ended up to be, might want to check it out.