• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

stnikolauswagne

Lt. General
36 Badges
Mar 16, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Lead and Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings III
So, I just started my first game inside the HRE. I played as the habsburgs and created the Kingdom of Burgundy and am now slowly eating into germany and Italy.
When my less-than-competent heir inherited I noticed one thing:
My vassals wont revolt, however much they hate me. That made me start thinking: Why should I ever become emperor or independant?

The only thing I need to do is keep sort of a puppet Emperor on the throne and keep the Crown authority on Medium. As the most powerful ruler inside the realm it should be possible. Is there anything I am missing?

Honestly, it depends on how you want to play. You could technically play the entire game as one of the most powerful figures in the HRE, leaving the Emperor a figurehead. Let him take the flak for tyrannical rule, no matter who's on the throne, you rule.

I have had the same experience in the HRE, though I vastly prefer the crown authority to be low, because then I can attack other vassals without plotting.
Slowly take over the entire HRE, while keeping the emperor intact. No real plotting against me, and I can become so powerful that no other nation, perhaps except the Byzatines, can stop me, including the emperor of the HRE, which I attack infrequently myself to keep the crown authority low (I prefer it at minimum, because that way, with bad relations with my liege, I can keep all my troops for myself).