+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Benefits of being Independant

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

Benefits of being Independant

So, I just started my first game inside the HRE. I played as the habsburgs and created the Kingdom of Burgundy and am now slowly eating into germany and Italy.
    When my less-than-competent heir inherited I noticed one thing:
    My vassals wont revolt, however much they hate me. That made me start thinking: Why should I ever become emperor or independant?

The only thing I need to do is keep sort of a puppet Emperor on the throne and keep the Crown authority on Medium. As the most powerful ruler inside the realm it should be possible. Is there anything I am missing?

Prestige?
    I could do that with my eyes tied behind my back!

Honestly, it depends on how you want to play. You could technically play the entire game as one of the most powerful figures in the HRE, leaving the Emperor a figurehead. Let him take the flak for tyrannical rule, no matter who's on the throne, you rule.

imo best benefit of independence is constant invasions from your former liege

I have had the same experience in the HRE, though I vastly prefer the crown authority to be low, because then I can attack other vassals without plotting.
    Slowly take over the entire HRE, while keeping the emperor intact. No real plotting against me, and I can become so powerful that no other nation, perhaps except the Byzatines, can stop me, including the emperor of the HRE, which I attack infrequently myself to keep the crown authority low (I prefer it at minimum, because that way, with bad relations with my liege, I can keep all my troops for myself).

Interesting. I didn't know that vassals won't revolt if you are a vassal yourself.

+ Reply to Thread