• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Giving relatives bishoprics and cities will cut into your taxes. They will dislike you for wanting the county (and possibly the pretender penalty too) If you give them a county + the lower titles they get a +80-100 and don't really have any power. just make sure you don't hold the duchy for that realm.

Nice guide but too absolute. This is a complex game, there are exceptions to every rule. For example, I agree that using mercenaries and your own is usually preferable to angering your vassals. But it is also often good to finish a war quickly, particularly when you take advantage of a moment of weakness in a stronger adversary (such as civil war in the Shia Caliphate). Use those vassal levies to take castles by storm, rack up warscore quickly, end the war before your opponent recovers. Vassals seem to mind long wars more than their men being killed in droves.

Where I really disagree, is with your advise on titles. I create as many as I can and hand them out to members of my dynasty whenever I can. Kingdom titles, too. By 1200 my d'Orange family (originally counts) has over 100 living members and holds 6 kingdoms (2 I kept, the others I gave to cadet branches). There is a reason the dynasty view is in the game. Here's why:

Titles held by family members add to dynasty prestige, which influences starting prestige for new heirs and increases your score as well as increases diplomacy. Rulers from the same dynasty are your allies. Most alliances don't last too long, someone dies (your father-in-law, your spouse, etc.), but same dynasty allies will pass on the alliance to their heirs as long as they're also from the same dynasty. Occassional dynastic succession disputes don't weigh up against the help they give in wars against other enemies.

Nice guide but too absolute. This is a complex game, there are exceptions to every rule. For example, I agree that using mercenaries and your own is usually preferable to angering your vassals. But it is also often good to finish a war quickly, particularly when you take advantage of a moment of weakness in a stronger adversary (such as civil war in the Shia Caliphate). Use those vassal levies to take castles by storm, rack up warscore quickly, end the war before your opponent recovers. Vassals seem to mind long wars more than their men being killed in droves.

Where I really disagree, is with your advise on titles. I create as many as I can and hand them out to members of my dynasty whenever I can. Kingdom titles, too. By 1200 my d'Orange family (originally counts) has over 100 living members and holds 6 kingdoms (2 I kept, the others I gave to cadet branches). There is a reason the dynasty view is in the game. Here's why:

Titles held by family members add to dynasty prestige, which influences starting prestige for new heirs and increases your score as well as increases diplomacy. Rulers from the same dynasty are your allies. Most alliances don't last too long, someone dies (your father-in-law, your spouse, etc.), but same dynasty allies will pass on the alliance to their heirs as long as they're also from the same dynasty. Occassional dynastic succession disputes don't weigh up against the help they give in wars against other enemies.

Makes sense, but what about pretenders and title claimants? How do you personally manage those?

Pretenders can be a problem. I can usually beat them in a straight fight because I keep the best titles and demesne provinces. Some members of my dynasty may decide to join the wrong side, but I try to keep good relations with them so the majority tends to support me. Most title claimants can't reach their goal by murder anyway as they're low in the order of succession, that seems to discourage them. The dangerous ones are usually very close family. It's not the wars I worry about, it's the plots and the assasinations. I hire the best spymaster I can find, often using matrilineal marriages (of courtiers) to lure smart bastards to my court. I spy on dangerous family members directly if necessary (though I prefer to use my spymaster to steal tech). I've occassionally murdered a family member pre-emptively (taking care that he has an heir from my family as well). Whatever's necessary. It's a risk, but I so dearly love those blue hordes assisting me in difficult wars, I'll take it.