• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wminus

Major
15 Badges
Dec 2, 2011
  • Darkest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
The Russian AI is bugged

I got a pet peeve. In every game I play, AHD 2.2.1., the Russian AI NEVER researches any philosophy tech. At least not until the the late 19th century, I haven't checked what it does after 1900.

stupidai.png

As a matter of fact, the entire thing about getting research points by researching a tech is stupid.. Can't paradox just mod the game so that all civilized countries automatically get 50% research points every 10 years or something... Or reducing the amount of research points needed to research the later techs?

Last edited:
Well, this isn't exactly a very difficult issue to fix. Can paradox check the technologies file? From what I can see there is no reason why Russia should be researching machine guns over philosophy techs...

Oh, and an unrelated thing: Is it just me, or does everyone below the rank of 16 only have bankrupted factories, if any factories at all?

Last edited:
No, I thought that too but the vast majority of raw materials are not in high demand. I think the issue is that the factories from the small countries just can't sell all their products, and neither can the small countries afford subsidies without bankrupting themselves, so the factories end up going bankrupt.

Last edited:
hellooo? Paradox, you don't think the issue of the world's biggest country screwing itself over every single game (at least with me, patch 2.2.1.) deserves some attention?

Quite odd, because the other AIs seem to do fine. The AI is even techrushing philosphy techs in my games, and I recently saw France start colonizing in August 1870. :)

Not a big deal in my opinion. Maybe the AI was in a lot of wars to the point where it thought that researching short term benefit War and Industry techs was better than researching long-term benefit Philosophy techs? Regardless, the fact they haven't cracked the 2nd tier is a bit concerning.

While being a very powerfull country when played right, Russia is still not an easy beast to ride.

Sure, as a human, you understand that teching cultural with Russia is very high priority and so, you go for it, neglecting everything else.
It works because you are human, you can adjust sliders, stockpile, ruling party etc to optimum effect, you will avoid useless, costly wars while your land techs are crap...

Now, Russia AI will likely be drawn in some early wars, with bad techs, they will probably go bankrupt or in the very red in the process, will lose tons of soldiers/mobilized pops...Even if Russia is on the winning side, she crippled herself in the long run.

AI will probably want some land techs for its wars, some commerce/industry techs to fix money issues etc...delaying even more the cultural ones...Not counting that AI probably doesnt adjust sliders/stockpile like a human does.

Add in the revolts Russia has to endure, like 500+ brigades sometimes...a human can prevent them or be ready and deal with it...the AI is simply overwhelmed...

So, its not that easy...make AI Russia only go for the optimum cultural techs and it will be destroyed in any war with its neighbours...
Go a more natural way and it will be overteched by every other GP...

Countries with a low literacy get a penalty towards choosing the first column so that probably explains that one.

IDK whats causing the philosophy tech not to be selected...is this happen for all nations or just Russia, it has a massive chance of being selected if available so I'd be interested if its a Russia only problem

Minifcelle, I think it's nonsense that philosophy techs aren't always a must-have as soon as possible. It's one tech per 20 years or so, and it massively increases your tech gain... And the AI does research culture techs - the social thought techline.

The AI researches naval techs and social thought techs before the philosophy techs... There is NO excuse, there is ZERO logic what-so-ever behind such a choice even if you are in constant wars.

But yeah I agree that the the AI maybe should keep the national stockpile at zero, or at 20% or so when building something, while at peace. And in the latest patch the AI actually handles rebel uprisings good (I rarely see armies standing still and not doing anything, anymore), if it has the army.

nasaeulus: isn't it possible to just use scripts, like in HoI3? How does this system work anyway? Is modifier additive to the factor, or multiplicative? Or does it overrule the factor?

How does AI tech selection work?

Countries with a low literacy get a penalty towards choosing the first column so that probably explains that one.

IDK whats causing the philosophy tech not to be selected...is this happen for all nations or just Russia, it has a massive chance of being selected if available so I'd be interested if its a Russia only problem

check it in your own game, cirka 1860-1870? I'm still unsure if this is a problem with only me, but in my games Russia NEVER researches these techs when I check in 1860-1870-1880...

Last edited:
It's nonsense the cultural techs aren't always a must-have as soon as possible. It's one tech per 20 years or so, and it massively increases your tech gain...

The AI researches naval techs and social thought techs before the philosophy techs... There is NO excuse, there is ZERO logic what-so-ever behind such a choice even if you are in constant wars.

But yeah I agree that the the AI maybe should keep the national stockpile at zero, or at 20% or so when building something, while at peace.

nasaeulus: isn't it possible to just use scripts, like in HoI3? How does this system work anyway? Is modifier additive to the factor? Or does it overrule the factor? Is it multiplicative?

Feel free to tweak them so the AI picks the perfect techs, (victria>technologies)