• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For me it looks like a very simplified version of dwarf fortress. I Like the graphics tho.
But you can never compare a game that simulates a world almost to the molecular level (dwarf fortress) to a game that is clearly inspired by it but also has a very unique graphical taste and much more simplified and user-friendly than DF :p
I will definitely play it.

Dwarf Fortress's dark humor all the way.

Alcholic dwarves making artifacts out of the bones of dwarves they tore apart when they got stricken insane...

It does look really awesome. I wasn't excited about this game much until someone gifted me it and I took a look at the forum/pics/dev diarys. It looks like a 'hidden gem' category game to me. The aesthetics are very nice too, which is really important for DK/Building stuff games!

I think all the comparisons to DF are kind of obsolete. It's got some similarities, in a similar vain to many games like DF and ones before it. It clearly isn't trying to be DF, which is good. DF is unique and we don't need 2 of them, but DK has been for a long time old, and even to people like me who love DK and DK2 and such games, it hasnt really had any interesting successors. This seems to be one, with Dwarfs!!!!(Dwarfs make everything better).

It definitely seems to be much more similar to DK, but it doesn't seem at all like Dwarf Fortress, apart from the fact there's alot more effort put into the 'creating stuff' side of it than what was in DK. Also a good thing! There's not much attempt for realism or complexity, which is basically everything that DF is. It's in the dungeon keeper 'unrealistic but fantasy' flavor of management game.

I love DK and DF and I think I will be able to love aGoD too, as an independent game but one influenced by the others. It has it's own charm already and I think the developers and everyone working on it have done a really good job of ensuring it is a game people will want to share and discuss.

Last edited:
This game looks horrible. Take all profits and donate to the development of Dwarf Fortress please.

Why? It's not like Toady will take the money and produce a proper UI that would make the game more accessible to more people.

I guess there's a certain appreciation for ASCII graphics but in most people's eyes I dare say they are not "pretty" unless you say that they are "pretty horrible", so to say that this game looks horrible and to donate the money to Toady, you would be implying that DF looks good, which I think more people than not would agree that DF although a fantasically deep game is anything but pretty.

Why? It's not like Toady will take the money and produce a proper UI that would make the game more accessible to more people.

I guess there's a certain appreciation for ASCII graphics but in most people's eyes I dare say they are not "pretty" unless you say that they are "pretty horrible", so to say that this game looks horrible and to donate the money to Toady, you would be implying that DF looks good, which I think more people than not would agree that DF although a fantasically deep game is anything but pretty.

:eek:

DF is pretty in its own way ;)

As I mentioned, there is some people that have an appreciation for ASCII graphics, I don't personally happen to be one of those people. I'm also not one of those people that need bleeding edge graphics either, Towns and Gnomoria are two of my favorite games and while they don't use ASCII graphics, they aren't even remotely close to being cutting edge by any stretch of the imagination, but I also have an appreciation for such games as Cities in motion, anno 2070, Borderlands 2 and very much the old Impressions city building games.

I can't remember the exact quote but it was in one of the aGoD videos, something along the lines of 'if you can see blood and gore in DF with it's ASCII graphics, then you've got one hell of an imagination.' The first time that I heard that I literally nearly choked on the pizza that I was entertaining my taste buds with.

As I mentioned, DF is an extremely deep game but it's UI completely holds it back from the masses and that's truly a shame because the depth of game play is there and if it was more accessible / approachable by the masses (not only the ASCII graphics but the UI especially) I think they'd have a blast playing it (with one of the graphics packs as the masses are really not going to get into the ASCII graphics, for that matter I still wonder why we even refer to them as "ASCII graphics", aren't they really just text letters and symbols? Not really graphics at all, right.)

I did just recently read that somebody had modded DF so that it can now have a full mouse UI in the game. That should certainly help, put that together with one of the nicer graphics packs and it might start appealing to more people. I hope for Toady anyway that it does as it could turn into more donations for him.

Not surprising to me I still have friends that are gamers that had never even heard of DF (until I asked them about it), as somebody once said, it's popular amongst the people that have heard of it, but relatively unknown among the the overall gaming population.

Anyway, 3 hours and 2 minutes and counting until release time.