• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, A Game of Dwarves is foremost it's own game and neither Dwarf Fortress nor Dungeon Keeper. :)
It does share elements with both games though.

Last edited:
Well, A Game of Dwarves is foremost it's own game and neither Dwarf Fortress nor Dungeon Keeper. :)
It does share elements with both games though.

Chin Chin.....

Agreed......

I cannot wait for you guys to get to the Beta stage, Hopefully there will be the possibility of Sign Ups through paradox?

Great work so far ;)

Paradox games are notorious for their eternal learning curve but i do not this game will be hard as DF. It may be hardcore strategy but never as hardcore as DF :D

I think AGoD is more closely related to DK then DF. But ofcourse will be great in it's own way.

Yes particularly the way you upgrade/specialize the Minions/Dwarves along a tree as they gain experience, just like EG but with pro-tectonic lights rather that upgrade sound in EG that I swear sounded like an alien was going to burst out of their chests.

It doesn't look like AGoD is going to do the innovative 'Henchmen' thing ware those few unique and elite units could be commanded directly, ware as the minions were only indirect control, from the looks of it Zeal has rejected directly controlling dwarves so far but I would not be surprised if they went with Henchmen type control of the King and the 'Court'. It would fit with the Evil Genius heritage and the 'offices' concepts from DwarfFortress.

Well I think with all the disagreements on which game it is most like it is therefore a game of it own. It is not to much like any of the games mentioned in this thread.

We NEED a game that is similar to DK. Seriously, this is a series which had nice gameplay and unique flavour, but for some obscure reason was discontinued. I know many people who would love to play DK3.

I really don't mean to be snarky here, but you realize we have a capitalist world economy these days, right? I say this because the "obscure" reason DK was discontinued is that it wasn't making any money for those developing and publishing the games.

This is unfortunately a biproduct of capitalism. Some time great things are discontinued or not made at all because there is no profit in them.

I really don't mean to be snarky here, but you realize we have a capitalist world economy these days, right? I say this because the "obscure" reason DK was discontinued is that it wasn't making any money for those developing and publishing the games.

This is unfortunately a biproduct of capitalism. Some time great things are discontinued or not made at all because there is no profit in them.

Sometimes it isn't about no profit with a product. It can also mean that they decided to with a product they believed would them more profit. Some games that go into hibernation were still making money when they were pushed aside, but investors demand the most they can get in most cases.

There are reasons why you would want to create an another DK now, though. One of them is that there are few games like that, so there is little competition. Also, DK series is now classic, which could help to make DK3 or its spiritual successor a successful game. I don't know if you played the game Planescape: Torment, but nowadays it is regarded as one of the best cRPGs ever made and has cult status, but it wasn't really commercially successful when it was released. However, I'm quite convinced that PT2 would attract much attention, although it would be a massive challenge to meet the expectations. It could be similar in case of DK3.

I always hoped it would be like Dwarf fortress with better interface.
Word!

Paradox games are notorious for their eternal learning curve but i do not this game will be hard as DF. It may be hardcore strategy but never as hardcore as DF :D
Paradox games have a steep learning curve, 't is true.
Dwarf Fortress, on the other hand, has a learning cliff. With a negative angle. And people shooting at you.

The more influence from Dwarf Fortress the better.. whatever you do don't make it a dumbed down point & click to win game that is just about triggering the players reward instinct over and over again.