• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
YOU are arguing that this mechanic is ok since illegal activities are also more expensive in real life if you're richer. You give examples. Ok. I have counter-examples. I guess we call it a draw.

Now, legal activities are NOT more expensive in real life, but in the game, some are. That makes no sense. And while we reached a draw at the illegal stuff, at the legal stuff the mechanic makes zero sense. So on the whole, it makes sense in 25% of the cases, while making sense on a fundamental level would be 100%. 25%, that's not a lot of sense.

I dont see why *I* am the stubborn one here. Should I simply accept your opinion and discard mine? You don't convice me rationally.

I dont see why *I* am the stubborn one here. Should I simply accept your opinion and discard mine? You don't convice me rationally.

My only task in this thread, after it went OT, was to reason with you that you are wrong when you say that the price increase for forged claims makes no sense in-game. It can make sense in-game. Case closed.

Whatever else you wish to discuss on this matter, don't count me in. I'm not interested in convincing you of anything. I happen to like this system while you see flaws in it that you would like to see addressed. I'm not a person to discuss with anyone their preferences and I believe this isn't the right board to discuss game flaws or modifications.

A simple explanation would be to say that each nation has its own currency and that the value of said currency varies. Despite the EURO I can assure people that it did not exist in 11th century and that getting stable finances were difficult throughout the whole period. Much of the values were not stable. So if you throw a lot of money around or have a large income to spend due to high taxation it will devalue the currency so you have to spend more then others as your currency is weak. This is likely what it is simulating.

A simple explanation would be to say that each nation has its own currency and that the value of said currency varies. Despite the EURO I can assure people that it did not exist in 11th century and that getting stable finances were difficult throughout the whole period. Much of the values were not stable. So if you throw a lot of money around or have a large income to spend due to high taxation it will devalue the currency so you have to spend more then others as your currency is weak. This is likely what it is simulating.

That is nonsense, sorry. Currency was gold, and apart from a gold influx from somewhere else, there could not have been inflation. Also, prices for a lot of things (upgrades, new holdings, assassinations, etc) are stable, so that's that.

I find it more and more humorous how people are trying to rationalize the rising cost mechanic when it clearly is a game balance thing with no rational explanation in-game.

My only task in this thread, after it went OT, was to reason with you that you are wrong when you say that the price increase for forged claims makes no sense in-game. It can make sense in-game. Case closed.

Dude, you are not right and I am not wrong simply because you state it repeatedly.

Look, all you apologists, it would be a better mechanic if you could choose how much money to spend for a feast or fabricating a claim, and considering your titles/"prestige income", you gain or lose prestige/opinion depending on how much money you spent.

Just saying.

I like the current model. At least for claims.

It's pretty much the only thing that really works against near constant conquest in the game. Now at least it;s a choice between fabricating a claim at high cost, or get claims other ways and keep the money.

Now, legal activities are NOT more expensive in real life, but in the game, some are. That makes no sense. And while we reached a draw at the illegal stuff, at the legal stuff the mechanic makes zero sense. So on the whole, it makes sense in 25% of the cases, while making sense on a fundamental level would be 100%. 25%, that's not a lot of sense.

If you're a rich king people expect you to throw a better feast than a poor count. Same for tourneys, fairs etc. So it costs more. As for pressing claims, in a rich realm people expect higher bribes because everyone's income is higher, so again it costs more. Think about it: If you make £20,000 a year you might be willing to risk your job for a £50,000 bribe, but if you make £2,000,000/year you'd laugh that offer out of the room.

Seems reasonable to me.

Or, if you don't accept that: Game balance.

If you're a rich king people expect you to throw a better feast than a poor count. Same for tourneys, fairs etc. So it costs more.

I agree. But it's mostly because you're a king (rank and prestige), not because your income is high. If you were a rich duke and threw a more fancy party than your king can afford, I dont wanna be you. Also, the results of such a super feast should be higher, or affect more people.

However, inviting some person to court f.e. costs more for high income people, which makes no sense. The people you invite should be better the more you pay.

As for pressing claims, in a rich realm people expect higher bribes because everyone's income is higher, so again it costs more.

The realm isnt richer. I am. Its just _my_ income thats bigger, not everyone else's.

The realm isnt richer. I am. Its just _my_ income thats bigger, not everyone else's.

I suppose there a couple of reasons that your income could be bigger. One is that you simply have a much higher tax rate, so when your income goes up, everyone elses actually goes down. Reason two would be that your holding are especially productive, in which case you get more income, and everyone else has more too. More for you doesn't have to mean less (or no change) for everyone else.

Your income is larger because your realm is richer, unless you have some gold egg laying hen that you're keeping in the privy all for yourself.

You greedy bastard.

Apparently you can revoke holdings that you have a personal claim on from a vassal without a negative relationship modifier with the rest of your vassals. I'm fabricating on my super dukes right now.

Great advice. Goodbye to my "give court jester, wait for revolt, revoke title" strategy.

Really? My.

1191g.jpg

Higher cost for a powerful/rich character is purely game balance, nothing else. And I know for I coded it.

But I can choose "Amass Wealth" (500 gold) with a monthly income of 140+ ;)

And? You completing that ambition isn't very game breaking. But that the strongest and richest characters in the game (who often also have the best Chancellors - which is also why the fabricate claim event doesn't trigger more often for skills above 13) should be able to mass produce claims at no cost is. With "coding it" I meant that particular event, not some sort of system to scale costs generally in the game.

Fabricating claims at this cost is simply uneconomical. Yes, I have a big income, but what the heck, I could just revoke that county off of the holder and eat the penalty. Fabricating is a better tool at low income; as it is, the balance gets destroyed when I earn a lot of money.

Since a big part of my income has always been looting/sieging, the rise in cost hits harder and harder. 1200g, independent of my rank, the quality of the county/duchy in question, etc etc etc - it just makes fabricating claims a tool not to use anymore once I built a nice demesne. That's 11 or so months of income out of the window. I'm not complaining that I can't afford it. I can. I'm complaining because the fabricate claims tool has gotten worse and worse. That's not really an aspect of a good balance.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.