• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Given that the last post of the OP was in May, over a month before SoI's release, I would say the odds are "no."

Given that the last post of the OP was in May, over a month before SoI's release, I would say the odds are "no."

well, the question behind it was "if not compatible with 1.06 would you please update it because we badly NEED it^^ please :D

Well, looking at the file structure, it looks like <CulturalCitiesX>/common/cultures.txt needs to be moved into a new folder, common/cultures/, but even after doing that I'm not seeing any changed building types in a new, otherwise vanilla game, and I don't see any other files that need to be moved, nor is the Validator complaining of anything but a few duplicate personal names in cultures.txt after it's moved.

Strike that, I was looking for the holding buildings in the province window, not the province buildings on the main map. Just moving cultures.txt works fine.

Strike that, I was looking for the holding buildings in the province window, not the province buildings on the main map. Just moving cultures.txt works fine.

it didn't for me^^ I might try again.

Are you trying to use this with any other mods? I also renamed cultures.txt to 00_cultures.txt when I moved it, if that might make any difference.

Are you trying to use this with any other mods? I also renamed cultures.txt to 00_cultures.txt when I moved it, if that might make any difference.

I did the adaptation correctly for cultures, but i've maybe did some changes before that could causes problem. I also noticed the version used in ck2+ doesn't use graphicalculturetype.txt anymore.
I will try to figure it out from that by myself but thanks for the help.

Are you sure? My CK2+ install has common/graphicalculturetype.txt

Are you sure? My CK2+ install has common/graphicalculturetype.txt

I don't have latest version but it doesn't have it and works like a charm with correct cultural buildings.

There's nothing in there that need changing from 1.06 to 1.07, and the only thing that needs changing from prior to 1.06 is moving the cultures.txt file to common/cultures and renaming it to 00_cultures.txt. (Or just use one of the BLC versions, which don't include the cultures file.)

Awesome. I'll give it a try. Just like BLC this is one of the must have mods for me.

EDIT: BLC compatible version is unfortunately not compatible with latest BLC. Will look into it when I'm not so dog tired.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't the BLC compatible version work with the latest BLC? The only difference is the BLC compatible version drops the cultures file (which would conflict with BLC.)

I'm slightly confused, i downloaded the mod, started the game (without BLC) twice with either A or A compatible with BLC and with A for BLC it showd more different cultures than for A.
I didnt play the game, just started a new single player one to see if the difference shows.

Now some questions arise:

Do i need BLC if i use the A for BLC ?
If i use BLC will i still need to move the culture file to the mod folder of CK2 and change its name ?
Do i need to move the culture.txt file at all, also without BLC ?

Sorry for these late questions, i just start to use mods, i'm a CK2 mod newbie so to speak. :blush:

You should never move any files into the vanilla directories. Extract mods into either (CK2 install directory)/mod/ or My Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/mod/ (you'll have to create the mod directory in the latter case) and tick both in the launcher. What you should do is create a cultures file in the mod's common folder and move/rename the cultures file there.

Do i need BLC if i use the A for BLC ?
No, the game will use the vanilla cultures file in that case (or whatever other mod you're using... some of the major mods already incorporate this.)
If i use BLC will i still need to move the culture file to the mod folder of CK2 and change its name ?
If you're using the BLC version there's no need to move anything.
Do i need to move the culture.txt file at all, also without BLC ?
Depends on if you want to use the mod's cultures file, which is a bit obsolete (I think it predates SoI and its extra provinces in West Africa, and definitely predates SI and its Aztecs, so if you don't want to play with lily-white Mande and Meso-American invaders, either same file editing or other adjustments might be needed. Fortunately, both added cultures are at the end of the file.)

.... What you should do is create a cultures file in the mod's common folder and move/rename the cultures file there.

As you said below this statement that i don't have to move anything (unless i use SI, which i don't) i'm confused again.
You probably ment that if i use the BLC as well, i will have to create a culture folder in the mods' common folder and move the mods' culture file there, right ?
If so, i wouldnt be that confused anymore. ;)

Thanks for all the answers.

PS: Is it not in the Master Mod List as the original creator isn't around anymore ?

CulturalCitiesMod.zip

Well, hello. It's been a while :)

I've decided to release a small update. However, I decided to make this version smaller and more compatible with future updates and mods.
It has the downside of the persians not having their own, but it's a simple fix, I'll explain below.
I haven't released updates for a while because I was playing other games, doing work for university, etc. So I decided to release a version that is more compatible (it has no cultures.txt), so even if I'm not around here to support the mod, you all can easily update (though I guess that more experienced modders already know how to update it).
So I'm also going to explain some elements of the mod, so that you know why something is wrong in the mod.

First, always make an backup, whenever creating an mod.

gfx/models/settlements/*folder* are where the textures and models are. the textures are easy to mod, just use GIMP. it has to be in .dds, so you must have the GIMP dds plugin.
It's also there that we have the models, that are in .xac format. you can't change the 3D model itself (just use the ones the game already have), but you can change the texture the model uses. to do that you must use an Hex editor (I use notepad++ with plugin) and change, for example, "Eastern_Buildings_Diffuse" to "Norther_Buildings_Diffuse". why not northern? Because it must have the same number of characters as the original, otherwise it doesn't work. remember to name your texture file the same as this, like "Norther_buildings_diffuse.dds".
As for the models, Paradox created, it seems, 3 models for Castle, City and Church, for both Christians and Muslims (dunno if Sunset Invasion has new buildings). you also have the "buildings" models, that are houses, as well as the port.

interface/settlements.gfx open with notepad ++. this is the file that connects the buildings with the cultures.

Code:
EMFXActorType = {
		name = "easterngfx_castle_1"
		actorfile = "gfx\models\Settlements\Eastern\Eastern_Castle_03.xac"
		scale = 1.3f
		use_animation = no
		cull_distance = 550.0f
	}

We have:
name = "easterngfx_castle_1": this means that it is for the easterngfx culture, and a castle. IIRC, you have to have the _1. the game only uses caslte_1, church_1, etc. this is different for houses and ports. just copy and paste from a existing culture if you are creating another, it's easier this way.

actorfile = "gfx\models\Settlements\Eastern\Eastern_Castle_03.xac": The link with the model. it doesn't need to have the same name as the culture, and you can, for example, link two cultures to a same model, like I did for the byzantines and italians.

scale = 1.3f: the scale as it appears on the map. change it to what you prefer.

the other values have no pratical uses, I think (though I guess that cull_distance is when the buildings disappear from view depending on zoom, so if you want you can change that).

If you want to create new buildings, just copy an already existing building set, and change the files references(if also created new textures) and culturegfx.

Sometimes you may also want to mod the common/cultures and common/graphicalculturetypes, to link a certain culture with an specific gfx. Unfortunately, a "culturegfx" has lots of things attached, So perhaps changing the saxongfx to something else may change how the soldiers look, I think. It is more problematic with portrait mods, as they also use gfx.
in cultures.txt, you can change, for example, the bedouin to use arabicgfx instead of muslimgfx.
in graphicalculturetypes.txt you can add some new gfx, so that you can specify the Croatians shall use mediterranean buildings (remember to make a another bunch of building with "croatiangfx" in settlements.gfx, copying the already existant byzantine/italian).

So, if you want to change the Persians:
you can make the other muslims use arabicgfx, instead of muslim gfx, which I've changed to use the old persian building. Change this in cultures.txt.
or you can make an persiangfx in graphicalculturetypes, copy the "muslimgfx" buildings parts in settlements.gfx, and change the references in these new buildings from "muslimgfx" to "persiangfx". Then, go to cultures.txt and change the "muslimgfx" of the Persian culture to "persiangfx".

I think that's it. Any questions?

No settlements folder in Sunset Invasion's gfx/models, so no new building models... just unit models there.

Just one:
#
Shouldnt this be mentioned in the " Master Mod List " as well ?
Shouldnt Knuckey know, shouldnt the world be informed of this little beauty ? :)

edit: Oh i see its still in the archive as Knuckey didnt get any news that it's still compatible. I'll tell him.

PS: Don't forget to update the first page of this thread.

Thanks again.

Last edited: