• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mar 3, 2012
I have had cities in motion for a while now and have played it a few times. I went to play it again but it wouldn't load. I went to steam pressed play it said it was loading then it didn't load. Can any one help me out?

I have had cities in motion for a while now and have played it a few times. I went to play it again but it wouldn't load. I went to steam pressed play it said it was loading then it didn't load. Can any one help me out?

Sometimes this happens and it's because Steam sucks. You can just load the game without Steam. Its locate in Steam folder\steamapps\common\citiesinmotion. Search for Cities in Motion.exe

Or might be another problem. In this case follow this guide: http://citiesinmotion.wikispaces.com/Technical+Problems

Can you post here your log_metro.txt?
Located at: ...\Documents\Cities in Motion\log_metro.txt
And as Drag0nflamez also said, your system specs.

I have tried locating it in the steam folders and still it dosn't work :(

You tried to locate and couldn't? Or you executed directly from exe and still crash?

Can you get at least in the Menu of the game? Lower all your graphic settings and post your full system specs. If you don't know that just follow the guide, as it says:

- Send your DirectX report file or your complete system specs.
From Windows, click Start->Run
In the open box, type DXDIAG
Click the save button to save the file as a text file in your Desktop.
Attach this file in your post or post all content directly in your message.

Same problem. Crashes whenever launched from within Steam or outside thereof. A black screen only responding to a cold reset, no splash screen or main menu. System specs:
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Phenom II X4 965 CPU
8 GB RAM
ATI HD 5850 Crossfire
All drivers up-to-date.

Any ideas are all very welcome.
Cheers.

Content of log_metro.txt:

Opened log in "userdata/log_metro.txt".
Version: 1.0.22
initializing FMOD...
[done]

That's all there is...

Cheers.

Uninstalled and reinstalled ATI drivers... Problem persists.
Uninstalled and reinstalled CiM updates... Problem persists.
Deleted settings.script and log_metro.txt... Problem persists.
Uninstalled and reinstalled the whole game... Problem persists.
Uninstalled the game entirely and forgot about it until a patch is released. Problem fixed.
So much for small companies making respectable games that can run on most common system configs.

Same problem. Crashes whenever launched from within Steam or outside thereof. A black screen only responding to a cold reset, no splash screen or main menu. System specs:
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Phenom II X4 965 CPU
8 GB RAM
ATI HD 5850 Crossfire
All drivers up-to-date.

Any ideas are all very welcome.
Cheers.
Have you tried disabling Crossfire? I seem to recall CiM having some issues with it.

Thanks for the reply. Just tried the dll solution. No bread. Funny thing is everything worked fine until yesterday when I bought Design Dreams DLC and installed it. I believe there is no way to selectively remove DLC content... I could have tried going back to the previous state of having all DLC minus the last one installed... Does anyone happen to know a way to do that?

Open the game's folder and delete the file vehiclepack05.gs
Steam will automatically re-install it, maybe the file is corrupted.

Open the game's folder and delete the file vehiclepack05.gs
Steam will automatically re-install it, maybe the file is corrupted.

Thank you very much. That sort of worked. I trashed the pack05 and let Steam install only that file. That got the log_metro.txt to finish up close normally. The game still did not launch though. So it seemed like a two-part problem.

Then I made some changes to the config file by hand.

Finally I can run the game:

In a window, with no AA, no AF, no Shadows, no Bloom.

I know that this sounds pitiful for a CF 5850 system and the game had looked better in the past but I guess a game working in a window is better than no game at all. It seems that one of those settings is the culprit #2. I will try to activate the options one by one and figure out which one or combo thereof causes the crash. I will let you all know of the outcome.

Hope no one else has to deal with this issue...

Cheers.

Okay. Figured it (almost) all out. Perhaps it does not make much sense but HDR / Bloom seems to have some issues with AA/AF in Crossfire setups. Using just a single card with everything maxed out and Bloom unchecked allowed the game to run fine in a window. It refused to run in full screen though. CF setup is a little more picky in terms of settings. AF maxed and AA halfway up setting HDR tends to crap out, windowed or not. Other way round (max AA, halfway AF) HDR performs well. That is true even for full screen mode. But then the shadows become quirky. Windowed mode helps if/when the game crashes. Vertical sync causes more problems and of course brings an fps cap into play in all situations.

The final best config in my case seems to be (your mileage may vary):
Crossfire ON
Windowed mode (resolution affects fps of which CF yields aplenty)
AA maxed out at 6x (4x meant trouble, 2x ran fine)
AF 8x (interestingly 16x or 4x both caused problems, 2x ran fine)
Bloom HDR
Shadows LOW (can be set to high if Bloom is OFF)
Vertical Sync OFF

Depending on the window size, play map size and actual screen traffic displayed at the moment I got very respectable fps with high enough graphics quality. Now I have to check if the game runs stable enough with these settings. I am thinking about uninstalling all ATI drivers again, cleaning up the remains and then reinstalling the latest. That might help with the Bloom/AA/AF situation cuz the way things are it does not make a lot of sense.

Thanks for bearing with me folks...

Cheers.