+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings II - Post Mortem Dev Diary

Project Lead/Game Designer Paradox Dev Team Doomdark's Avatar

Crusader Kings II - Post Mortem Dev Diary

The game is released, the reviews are in, and the response so far has been overwhelmingly positive. It's been a long road, and a few of you might be interested to know the dirty secrets of the development process here at Paradox... Also, what we have in store for you in the future. So don't get scared by the wall of text; get comfy, pop a Valium and chill out to the "Tron: Legacy" soundtrack as I tell you the story of Crusader Kings II.

On paper, Crusader Kings II was an 18 month project, the same as Hearts of Iron 3. In comparison, Victoria II and EU:Rome were made in 12 months, and Sengoku eight. With the varying number of team members in different phases of the projects, these figures are a bit misleading but should still give you an inkling of the relative budgets. The idea was simple: take the original Crusader Kings design, cut out the chaff, remake the game in the Clausewitz engine and make it our most polished release ever. (To be clear, we did not port anything from the old code base; we didn't even look at it.) We were very wary of adding more new features than we could handle (*cough* HoI3 *cough*.) Thus, the design document was divided into core, major and minor features. The major and minor features were modular and ordered by priority, so that we could simply start cutting the least important ones if it looked we would not have time to do them properly. In fact, we expected to have to cut some of them, and yes, we thought that some would eventually make good DLC.

Now, there are a lot of negative opinions about DLC among gamers these days. In some cases, it's justified; some DLC material just isn't worth the money. However, I've never understood the argument that "it should have been in the game from the start". Everything should apparently have been in the game, including an onion peeler and a self-aware AI. There are so many obvious problems with long development cycles that anyone should be able to understand that this argument is simply nonsense. It's far better to make a fun and balanced game with all the core features working properly than to either release a buggy bloated mess or a game with a huge budget (and thus a huge risk) and hefty price tag that's already outdated on release after five years of development.

So what did we cut from Crusader Kings II? Basically, this:
    • A medieval style chronicle with annual entries
    • Trade post holdings built by the republics (Venice, Genoa, etc)
    • Hiring ships from the great republics
    • Relics that can be found, looted, and used to build cathedrals
    • Loads of very rare narrative events (like "The Gates of Hell") with multi-generational effects
    • A viceroy/drots/great seneschal council position for each kingdom held
    • Cadet branches of dynasties
    • Adventures - younger sons raising an army and going off to conquer something on their own

Will all these things become DLC? Probably not, but some likely will, and others might be patched in for free (or, well, basically paid for by those who do buy our DLC.) Note that playable non-Christians, republics and theocracies were never planned (though always considered good material for expansions.)

A few areas of the game went off on a tangent from the original design as development progressed. For example, the map turned out much prettier and more advanced than I had envisioned, thanks to the efforts of Tegus (Fredrik Zetterman.) Also, things like the vassal and dynasty trees, the Wikipedia links and the panning map in the lobby (courtesy of Johan Lerström) were not in the design doc. As always, there are also parts of the game that I am not 100% happy with. Plots could be more dynamic and have a better interface, the marriage interfaces are a bit clunky, the general GUI can be intimidating to newcomers and battles are not interactive. On the whole though, it all turned out pretty much as intended.

So, what are we planning for the future? Crusader Kings II will have many major DLC packs that are actually more like small expansions. Every time we release a major DLC, we will also release a major free content patch. I cannot say exactly when we will be adding what, but here are some things you can expect for free in the coming months:
    • Enhanced, more focused Crusades with a "contribution" score
    • Causes of Death
    • Asking to join an ongoing war
    • Lots of more plots and ambitions
    • Events, events, and more events
    • Improved GUI where it's needed the most (plots, marriages)
    • Flexible de jure liege structure
    • More de jure kingdoms

Of course, we will also be fixing bugs, plugging exploits and improving the interface, the AI and game balance. Oh, and unleash some DLC...

Thank you all for the positive response and for buying the game, ensuring that we can keep making the games you want to play.
    Last edited by Doomdark; 02-03-2012 at 15:02.
    Project Lead
    Game Designer

Abusus non tollit usum

Great job... Looking forward to the future updates!

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Awesome!

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Thank you for the update and a wonderful game!
    While, like a ghastly rapid river,
    Through the pale door,
    A hideous throng rush out forever,
    And laugh – but smile no more..

Thank you for this. I love the honesty in what was cut, most developers would not be brave enough to acknowledge that stuff like this was knowingly taken out (especially since most of it sounds so awesome). I'm really looking forward to seeing where this game goes in the future!
    Come play Werewolf! Make new friends, then murder them!

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

*Gives a relentless standing ovation to the entirety of Paradox Interactive*

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    Loads of very rare narrative events (like "The Gates of Hell") with multi-generational effects
    Can someone elaborate on this? I have no idea what is this "The Gates of Hell"
    The Eternal State - a DH-KR Ottoman AAR - Dropped due to health reasons

Struggle for the Mediterranean - a BOR Punic War MP AAR
    - Dropped due to AGEOD leaving Paradox

One of these days I will actually finish an AAR

"Holy Roman Empire. Neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. But it doesn't have any oil so no reason for military intervention" -Voltaire.

Do not forget about ortodox guys. They are not there just to feed sejluks and hordes, make them more realistic/less blob.
    Do not forget Pagan guys. even if they remain AI only - make em stronger, make em more ambitious. Lithuania was the last pagan kingdom in Europe... Pagans should not be beaten until late in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    Crusader Kings II will have many major DLC packs that are actually more like small expansions. Every time we release a major DLC, we will also release a major free content patch. I cannot say exactly when we will be adding what, but here are some things you can expect for free in the coming months:
    Me love you long time, G.I.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesCK2: Holy KnightHoi 2 Beta
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Good stuff for the crusades ... I just had the Pope calling for a crusade to Cagliari, in Sardinia... that was at the time of start of the crusade already occupied by Genoa (that was at war with the muslim owner, who was also doing very badly in a war against the HRE ) .

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

God damn it, Paradox. I want to throw money at you, give me some wildly expensive DLC already.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

Can someone elaborate on this? I have no idea what is this "The Gates of Hell"
    It is an awesome event in the game. Only experienced it once. Basically it is an event series about the earth splitting open in one of your counties and your character trying to close it through babies and cows and whatnot.

EU3 CompleteMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Great work, Paradox. This is one of the few games in the last years I thoroughly enjoyed (and still am). Splendid job and very polished game. Kudos!

Looking forward to the DLCs and patches.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Wallain View Post
    It is an awesome event in the game. Only experienced it once. Basically it is an event series about the earth splitting open in one of your counties and your character trying to close it through babies and cows and whatnot.
    Oh interesting, never seen it in game though.
    The Eternal State - a DH-KR Ottoman AAR - Dropped due to health reasons

Struggle for the Mediterranean - a BOR Punic War MP AAR
    - Dropped due to AGEOD leaving Paradox

One of these days I will actually finish an AAR

"Holy Roman Empire. Neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. But it doesn't have any oil so no reason for military intervention" -Voltaire.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Great the hear, Doomdark. I was wondering what Trade Posts were in buildings.txt. I'm pleased to see that Crusades will get a little loving as part of the core game.

For all the nitpicking I offer in the Bug Reports and general forum, CK2 is a very solid game. I think that your well-scoped, modular software approach that focuses on quality has clearly paid off. Of course there's always room for improvement here and there, but if the game had been a hapless mess, I wouldn't even be motivated to provide feedback beyond "this game is terrible."
    Don't like portrait DLC faces but want the clothes and hairstyles? Try the Portrait Realignment Pack!
    Byzantium too big? Try the De Jure Tweaks mini-mod.
    Want some Steppe variety? Try the Manichaean Pechenegs mini-mod.
    Want some Highland flare? Try the Scottish Tartan Coat of Arms mod.

Developers that listen to their community!

I love Paradox games! Keep up the good work.

Achtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Looking forward to future patches and perhaps any dlc that helps with the managing of multiple king titles (the viceroys mentioned).

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandGettysburgHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband
    War of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k club

For me Crusader Kings II is Paradox's best game.. and with the future extra content, I can only see it improving!

Thumbs up for you!

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Sounds splendid indeed.

I just hope paradox keeps "small" dlc's down to cosmetic only. Of course large dlc's (expansion-like) are always welcome, but not for example just one feature and call it a day.

On a separate note

"Enhanced, more focused Crusades with a "contribution" score"

yay! Now, also improve the pope and I will die happy.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Sounds Great! Good Luck and Godspeed!
    Nationality: New Zealander
    Religion: Roman Catholic
    Ideology: Distributist
    Issues: Moralism/Full Citizenship
    How did some slip of a girlyboy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?

Don't Press the O
    It's always been Wankershim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast