• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

machine_parts

Sergeant
14 Badges
Oct 7, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
I'm pretty sure that it's everybody's wish to add naval warfare system in the game, as I do :p

However, if the current game engine is not suitable at all to install naval system, it would be a useless request or hope to dream such dramatic change in game.

Since I am not really familiar with modding, I have no idea whether it is possible to add naval warfare in the current engine or not. If it's possible, even if the dev. team do not publish a DLC that adds the naval warfare, still there is a huge chance for seasoned mod developers to add the content.

So what do you think?:cool:

No.

Although I believe there is in game coding for some kind of naval warfare, it wouldn't make any sense given the time period. You will most likely have to rely on mods for naval warfare.

EDIT: Although there was naval battles during the time period, they were very, VERY antiquated, with only a few exceptions (greek fire and the torpedo are the only two I can think of off the top of my head).

If I recall correctly there was some fleet actions in the Med region but they involved galleys I think?

Well naval warfare in medieval time is much simpler than following ages, but still the importance of having sea power needs to be demonstrated in the game. When I did not know much about the game, I launched my fleets to destroy incoming enemy fleets. But when I found that they were just landing their troops on my territories without confronting any resistance on the sea, I felt really frustrated. I'm assuming that I'm not the only person who had such shocking experience.

Representing the very modest level of true sea control for the period will complicate the game while creating more annoyance and complaints than fun.

Adding in naval warfare would make it extremely hard to model the crusades. Instead of crusaders getting to the Levant more or less unopposed, you'd have an Egyptian fleet blocking the way.