• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Seeing how similar to Civ5 this game is, and how PI has themselves said that Civ5 was a great inspiration, I thought this was a cooperative effort between PI and Firaxis?

I see it's not so from the comments here, but that's what I thought. And it certainly is not outside the realm of possibility.

Hi All, I'm the Development Team Leader of Warlock: Master of the Arcane
It seems to me, that there were no 4x grand strategies except Civ for so long time, that people begin to associate the whole genre with this one game. So now when Warlock is going to be out - it is the easiest way to talk about it as about Fantasy Civ.
I need to say that there should be some similarities in our games since we are solving the same problems and working in the same 4x genre. So we are working with the same world/unit scale and sometimes choosing same technical decisions ( For example, when you are drawing so many trees - player shouldn't be allowed to rotate camera. But I think that our game is better looking and faster working, thanks to our engineers and artists.)

And I want to be clear:

• We have no art from Civ,
  • We have no code from it,
  • Nobody in our team has ever worked in or with Firaxis
  • and we are working on the same engine that was used previously for Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy ( that had hexes, cities, 1unit per hex system and animated battles all before Civ. Really we saw many similarities in Civ5 derived from our game.)
  • Warlock has different game mechanics
  • Warlock has different game world
  • Warlock has different building system
  • even "Zone of control" not only looks different but works differently
  • Warlock is something between Elven Lagacy and MoM, that we are still playing from time to time.
  • Our game is about Exploration, Magic Battles, Bulding an Empire and Buffing and Upgrading units.
  • Yes it is 4x grand scale strategy and I hope there will be more.

Now I'll post some screens from my current game to show you (Sorry, screens are not in high res and best quality)
shot_2012_03_15_ 8-55-35.jpgshot_2012_03_15_ 8-57-35j.jpgshot_2012_03_15_ 9-00-11j.jpgshot_2012_03_15_ 8-51-03.jpgshot_2012_03_15_ 8-52-11.jpg

Edit: Do you really think we need to change something?

Last edited:
Yes, please do include good documentations on game mechanics because frankly, EU3 and CK2 practically had none and it was all guess work.

And by the way, Civ5 is a pretty boring game that is widely considered to be a great disappointment. My stomach turned just by looking at that nearly identical mini-map on your screenshots because of those very boring Civ5 games I endured in the past. Let's hope your game would outgrow the sub-conscious stigma brought on by the inevitable reminders of Civ5.

Last edited:
Yes, please do include good documentations on game mechanics because frankly, EU3 and CK2 practically had none and it was all guess work.

And by the way, Civ5 is a pretty boring game that is widely considered to be a great disappointment. My stomach turned just by looking at that nearly identical mini-map on your screenshots because of those very boring Civ5 games I endured in the past. Let's hope your game would outgrow the sub-conscious stigma brought on by the inevitable reminders of Civ5.

I know that feel. Civilopedia is a very nice feature were you can read much about gameplay and world. Although can't be as interesting in fantasy game.

I've got bored of Civ5 very fast, and then tried Civ4 again. It's just great. Even with interesting features like city/state, small army wars or Diablo-style culture development Civ5 is bo-o-oring.

1) Can we have a table (or at list aligned values) in resistances?
2) You have both icon for production and word production in tooltip on 1st screen. WHY.
3) I think tooltip background is too transparent.
4) Right click to show info could be smaller/bleaker/italic font.
5) Icons for spell types look like spells themselves. Could be slightly misguided.

But I think that our game is better looking and faster working, thanks to our engineers and artists.

Good to hear it. I hope the AI is better too :)

But I like Civ5, and I'm working on a fantasy mod for it. With the DLL release coming, it will be possible to create really interesting mods, including ones that make the AI better.

How moddable will Warlock be?

Edit: "Build this type exist in your town" doesn't seem like correct English to me, it should be changed to something like "Building of this type exists in your town".

Last edited:
How moddable will Warlock be?

Edit: "Build this type exist in your town" doesn't seem like correct English to me, it should be changed to something like "Building of this type exists in your town".

We will discuss modability with Paradox, by now I think that you will be able to modify lots of stuff, if you know how to do it and with our support.
About the quote - you are right, it is temporary message, placeholder just added to hint, that will be written in correct English, saying that your empire already has this type of structure, but since the version is internal - placeholder stuff has got to screenshots, sorry for that.

I'll admit that when I first saw the screenshots for Warlock, I too thought Warlock must have licensed the Civ 5 engine. I had never played Fantasy Wars. When I saw it mentioned here I looked it up, I still think Warlock looks more like Civ5 than Fantasy Wars (which is OK).

The "misfortune" (if you can call it that) of Warlock is: once a mainstream game like Civilization that's become a household name adopts a certain style (looks, UI, game system, etc.) everybody will compare other games to it even though other lesser known games might have come up with those styles before the mainstream game.

Anyway, the screenshots look great. I wouldn't change much (maybe fonts a little). Good luck on the release.

I can see where people are coming rom talking about there being similarities - the main game screen has the same overall structure, and some elements are very similar, like the top bar. Of course there's learning from other's successes, and there is convergent evolution - but the similarities are enough that people must be forgiven for seeing them and wondering about them.

Moral reasons?? What do you mean?

I think a lie itself is a good justification for "moral reasons", even if it doesn't do much harm. But I don't agree with this approach, most companies use lies or half-truths in their marketing...