+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Err.. civilization 5?!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Seeing how similar to Civ5 this game is, and how PI has themselves said that Civ5 was a great inspiration, I thought this was a cooperative effort between PI and Firaxis?
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of Nations
    Rise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
    Seeing how similar to Civ5 this game is, and how PI has themselves said that Civ5 was a great inspiration, I thought this was a cooperative effort between PI and Firaxis?
    What.

That's just impossible.

Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    I see it's not so from the comments here, but that's what I thought. And it certainly is not outside the realm of possibility.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

Hi All, I'm the Development Team Leader of Warlock: Master of the Arcane
    It seems to me, that there were no 4x grand strategies except Civ for so long time, that people begin to associate the whole genre with this one game. So now when Warlock is going to be out - it is the easiest way to talk about it as about Fantasy Civ.
    I need to say that there should be some similarities in our games since we are solving the same problems and working in the same 4x genre. So we are working with the same world/unit scale and sometimes choosing same technical decisions ( For example, when you are drawing so many trees - player shouldn't be allowed to rotate camera. But I think that our game is better looking and faster working, thanks to our engineers and artists.)

And I want to be clear:
    • We have no art from Civ,
    • We have no code from it,
    • Nobody in our team has ever worked in or with Firaxis
    • and we are working on the same engine that was used previously for Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy ( that had hexes, cities, 1unit per hex system and animated battles all before Civ. Really we saw many similarities in Civ5 derived from our game.)
    • Warlock has different game mechanics
    • Warlock has different game world
    • Warlock has different building system
    • even "Zone of control" not only looks different but works differently
    • Warlock is something between Elven Lagacy and MoM, that we are still playing from time to time.
    • Our game is about Exploration, Magic Battles, Bulding an Empire and Buffing and Upgrading units.
    • Yes it is 4x grand scale strategy and I hope there will be more.

Now I'll post some screens from my current game to show you (Sorry, screens are not in high res and best quality)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_2012_03_15_ 8-55-35.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	50178Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_2012_03_15_ 8-57-35j.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	50174Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_2012_03_15_ 9-00-11j.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	50175Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_2012_03_15_ 8-51-03.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	50176Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_2012_03_15_ 8-52-11.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	50177

Edit: Do you really think we need to change something?
    Last edited by Alexey Kozyrev; 15-03-2012 at 07:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexey Kozyrev View Post
    The font and button gradients.

Thanks for sharing the screenshots. I'm very looking forward to this.

On Probation
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

Yes, please do include good documentations on game mechanics because frankly, EU3 and CK2 practically had none and it was all guess work.

And by the way, Civ5 is a pretty boring game that is widely considered to be a great disappointment. My stomach turned just by looking at that nearly identical mini-map on your screenshots because of those very boring Civ5 games I endured in the past. Let's hope your game would outgrow the sub-conscious stigma brought on by the inevitable reminders of Civ5.
    Last edited by ywhtptgtfo; 15-03-2012 at 11:28.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of Nations

Quote Originally Posted by ywhtptgtfo View Post
    Yes, please do include good documentations on game mechanics because frankly, EU3 and CK2 practically had none and it was all guess work.

And by the way, Civ5 is a pretty boring game that is widely considered to be a great disappointment. My stomach turned just by looking at that nearly identical mini-map on your screenshots because of those very boring Civ5 games I endured in the past. Let's hope your game would outgrow the sub-conscious stigma brought on by the inevitable reminders of Civ5.
    I know that feel. Civilopedia is a very nice feature were you can read much about gameplay and world. Although can't be as interesting in fantasy game.

I've got bored of Civ5 very fast, and then tried Civ4 again. It's just great. Even with interesting features like city/state, small army wars or Diablo-style culture development Civ5 is bo-o-oring.

1) Can we have a table (or at list aligned values) in resistances?
    2) You have both icon for production and word production in tooltip on 1st screen. WHY.
    3) I think tooltip background is too transparent.
    4) Right click to show info could be smaller/bleaker/italic font.
    5) Icons for spell types look like spells themselves. Could be slightly misguided.

But I think that our game is better looking and faster working, thanks to our engineers and artists.
    Good to hear it. I hope the AI is better too

But I like Civ5, and I'm working on a fantasy mod for it. With the DLL release coming, it will be possible to create really interesting mods, including ones that make the AI better.

How moddable will Warlock be?

Edit: "Build this type exist in your town" doesn't seem like correct English to me, it should be changed to something like "Building of this type exists in your town".
    Last edited by PawelS; 15-03-2012 at 14:36.

Quote Originally Posted by PawelS View Post

How moddable will Warlock be?

Edit: "Build this type exist in your town" doesn't seem like correct English to me, it should be changed to something like "Building of this type exists in your town".
    We will discuss modability with Paradox, by now I think that you will be able to modify lots of stuff, if you know how to do it and with our support.
    About the quote - you are right, it is temporary message, placeholder just added to hint, that will be written in correct English, saying that your empire already has this type of structure, but since the version is internal - placeholder stuff has got to screenshots, sorry for that.

I'll admit that when I first saw the screenshots for Warlock, I too thought Warlock must have licensed the Civ 5 engine. I had never played Fantasy Wars. When I saw it mentioned here I looked it up, I still think Warlock looks more like Civ5 than Fantasy Wars (which is OK).

The "misfortune" (if you can call it that) of Warlock is: once a mainstream game like Civilization that's become a household name adopts a certain style (looks, UI, game system, etc.) everybody will compare other games to it even though other lesser known games might have come up with those styles before the mainstream game.

Anyway, the screenshots look great. I wouldn't change much (maybe fonts a little). Good luck on the release.
    IMHO CB OP. BTW PU WAD? FWIW. HTH. AFAIK YMMV. OMG WTF BBQ!

Do you like surfing game forums but wish people would stop using obscure abbreviations and gaming acronyms?
    Then my Firefox/Chrome extension ABBREX is for you!
    It automatically adds hover tooltips to abbreviations displaying their meanings on any web page you visit!

Check it out at: http://abbrex.com
    Read about it in my post here

I can see where people are coming rom talking about there being similarities - the main game screen has the same overall structure, and some elements are very similar, like the top bar. Of course there's learning from other's successes, and there is convergent evolution - but the similarities are enough that people must be forgiven for seeing them and wondering about them.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossLeviathan: WarshipsLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020The Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition
    EUIV: Call to arms event

I've always wanted to play MoM - I hope with your game I finally will

You can play MOM. It can be downloaded from gog.com for $5.99. I have downloaded many of the old classics from them and they have all been playable on my fairly current laptop...

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossLeviathan: WarshipsLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty II Collection
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020The Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition

I don't buy from GoG for moral reasons.
    Does anybody else sell it?

Blog Entries
    Moral reasons?? What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Luckz View Post
    I don't buy from GoG for moral reasons.
    Does anybody else sell it?
    I also think that supporting original developers of classic masterpieces (like Age of Wonders series) is immoral

(It's not true about every game bought on GOG. As far as I know original developers don't get a dime from GOG's selling those games.)

Just their disgusting "we don't exist anymore" publicity stunt from a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckz View Post
    Just their disgusting "we don't exist anymore" publicity stunt from a few years ago.
    You don't trust them anymore? OK, I get it. (It worked btw.) But talking about "moral reasons" is overreacting. They did something stupid and they lied. But they didn't do much harm, did they?

I think a lie itself is a good justification for "moral reasons", even if it doesn't do much harm. But I don't agree with this approach, most companies use lies or half-truths in their marketing...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast