• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ebenweb

Captain
12 Badges
Jan 20, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
what happens if a family member marries a countess or duchess, goes to the foreign court, then inherits or is granted land? does that land become part of my realm?

the only way it becomes part of your realm is if that family member is your direct heir and you die, if you plan it right you can gain big chunks of land or kingdoms this way but it pisses off the locals if your a different culture

Short answer no, but long answer is it depends. Inheritance rarely relies on dynasty (major exception seniority)

If a dynasty member or any character is granted land in a foreign court, that person is now a vassal of that court. However, if that same person inherits lands in your realm after being granted land in a foreign court and it is of a higher rank then he already has then he will come back to your realm.

.....................................................................Kingdom A.......................Kingdom B
1. X is a courtier.......................................................X
[maybe of King A dynasty]
in court A

2. X moves to B....................................................................................................... X

3.a X is granted title c....................................................................................[X + c]
in Kingdom B:
X is now a vassal and not
just a courier

4.a.i. X inherits title d....................................................................................[X + c + d]
which is of the same rank
or lower as title c
in Kingdom A

OR

........................................................................Kingdom A..............................Kingdom B
1. X and Y are courtiers..........................................X.....Y
in court A

2. X moves to B.........................................................Y.....................................................X

3. X is granted title c..............................................Y................................................[X + c]
in Kingdom B:
just a courier

4. X would inherit.........................................................[Y + d]...................................[X + c]
title d which is the same
rank or lower of c
in Kingdom A which has
high or absolute
crown law, so Y gets d

OR

........................................................................Kingdom A....................................Kingdom B
1. X is a courtier............................................................X
in court A

2. X moves to B........................................................................................................................X

3. X is granted title c........................................................................................................[X + c]
in Kingdom B:
just a courier

4. X inherits title D...........................................[X + c + D]
which is superior in
rank to title c
in Kingdom A. Kingdom B's
crown law will not effect this.

I apologize for the formatting, but I hope this helps.

Short answer no, but long answer is it depends. Inheritance rarely relies on dynasty (major exception seniority)

If a dynasty member or any character is granted land in a foreign court, that person is now a vassal of that court. However, if that same person inherits lands in your realm after being granted land in a foreign court and it is of a higher rank then he already has then he will come back to your realm.

.....................................................................Kingdom A.......................Kingdom B
in court A

2. X moves to B....................................................................................................... X

3.a X is granted title c....................................................................................[X + c]
in Kingdom B:
just a courier

4.a.i. X inherits title d....................................................................................[X + c + d]
which is of the same rank
or lower as title c
in Kingdom A

OR

........................................................................Kingdom A..............................Kingdom B
1. X and Y are courtiers..........................................X.....Y
in court A

2. X moves to B.........................................................Y.....................................................X

3. X is granted title c..............................................Y................................................[X + c]
in Kingdom B:
just a courier

4. X would inherit.........................................................[Y + d]...................................[X + c]
title d which is the same
rank or lower of c
in Kingdom A which has
high or absolute
crown law, so Y gets d

OR

........................................................................Kingdom A....................................Kingdom B
1. X is a courtier............................................................X
in court A

2. X moves to B........................................................................................................................X

3. X is granted title c........................................................................................................[X + c]
in Kingdom B:
just a courier

4. X inherits title D...........................................[X + c + D]
which is superior in
rank to title c
in Kingdom A. Kingdom B's
crown law will not effect this.

I think I get it! Thanks.

in court A......

what's the significance of crown law in your notes?

so i guess a good strategy for marrying off court members who are set to inherit something but don't have a title yet is to see if i can pair them up with foreign chicks who are also set to inherit or pass on a smaller title than the one my guy will inherit.

Just because you don't directly control the land, doesn't mean it doesn't contribute greatly to your overall score. Most people probably don't even care about score, I reckon, but I think the point of the game is to expand your dynasty as much as possible. So in that regard, having your distant cousin on the throne of some distant land benefits you.

Sadly, aside from score, there is no benefit though aside from a +5 relations boost.

Just because you don't directly control the land, doesn't mean it doesn't contribute greatly to your overall score. Most people probably don't even care about score, I reckon, but I think the point of the game is to expand your dynasty as much as possible. So in that regard, having your distant cousin on the throne of some distant land benefits you.

Sadly, aside from score, there is no benefit though aside from a +5 relations boost.

Really? Score includes the dynasty holdings of everyone? Thought it was just prestige and other bits from all your own rulings...

I agree with badger0. Dynasty members outside of your realm only adds to dynasty prestige (which does make marriage easier), but has not impact on player score (unlike marrying into a dynasty with high dynasty prestige).

Related to the thread title, I was just playing a game where the head of my dynasty was a female. She married some random dude who was apparently in line to inherit a barony in another country. When he inherited he left the court and took all of our kids with him. He then proceeded to ruin the previous 3 generations worth of grooming and selective breeding, although he did manage to get my sons 3 more counties. For two generations he kept ~30% of my dynasty hostage from me until he finally had a bastard with some slut (literally, that's what the pop-up said), so I had enough and assassinated him at all costs.

Now my question is this, how does it determine who the children go with when the parents are each ruling at a different court? I swear I've been in the same position on the male side and they went with the mother, though perhaps I'm mis-remembering.

until he finally had a bastard with some slut (literally, that's what the pop-up said), so I had enough and assassinated him at all costs.
That event chain is hilarious. I found out about it when I was looking through the opinion modifiers, and saw one called "slut_seductress".

Re. dynasty members elsewhere, don't forget they can become allies, if they ever manage to become independent.