+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: dynasty members in foreign courts

  1. #1

    dynasty members in foreign courts

    what happens if a family member marries a countess or duchess, goes to the foreign court, then inherits or is granted land? does that land become part of my realm?

  2. #2
    the only way it becomes part of your realm is if that family member is your direct heir and you die, if you plan it right you can gain big chunks of land or kingdoms this way but it pisses off the locals if your a different culture

  3. #3
    Short answer no, but long answer is it depends. Inheritance rarely relies on dynasty (major exception seniority)

    If a dynasty member or any character is granted land in a foreign court, that person is now a vassal of that court. However, if that same person inherits lands in your realm after being granted land in a foreign court and it is of a higher rank then he already has then he will come back to your realm.



    .................................................. ...................Kingdom A.......................Kingdom B
    1. X is a courtier.......................................... .............X
    [maybe of King A dynasty]
    in court A

    2. X moves to B................................................. .................................................. .... X

    3.a X is granted title c.................................................. ..................................[X + c]
    in Kingdom B:
    X is now a vassal and not
    just a courier

    4.a.i. X inherits title d.................................................. ..................................[X + c + d]
    which is of the same rank
    or lower as title c
    in Kingdom A

    OR

    .................................................. ......................Kingdom A..............................Kingdom B
    1. X and Y are courtiers......................................... .X.....Y
    [maybe of King A dynasty]
    in court A

    2. X moves to B................................................. ........Y......................................... ............X

    3. X is granted title c..............................................Y... .............................................[X + c]
    in Kingdom B:
    X is now a vassal and not
    just a courier

    4. X would inherit........................................... ..............[Y + d]...................................[X + c]
    title d which is the same
    rank or lower of c
    in Kingdom A which has
    high or absolute
    crown law, so Y gets d

    OR

    .................................................. ......................Kingdom A....................................Kingdom B
    1. X is a courtier.......................................... ..................X
    [maybe of King A dynasty]
    in court A

    2. X moves to B................................................. .................................................. .....................X

    3. X is granted title c.................................................. .................................................. ....[X + c]
    in Kingdom B:
    X is now a vassal and not
    just a courier

    4. X inherits title D...........................................[X + c + D]
    which is superior in
    rank to title c
    in Kingdom A. Kingdom B's
    crown law will not effect this.

    I apologize for the formatting, but I hope this helps.

  4. #4
    Ask how many Divisions I have! InnocentIII's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    The frozen tundra of western New York
    Posts
    3,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Ootmar View Post
    Short answer no, but long answer is it depends. Inheritance rarely relies on dynasty (major exception seniority)

    If a dynasty member or any character is granted land in a foreign court, that person is now a vassal of that court. However, if that same person inherits lands in your realm after being granted land in a foreign court and it is of a higher rank then he already has then he will come back to your realm.



    .................................................. ...................Kingdom A.......................Kingdom B
    1. X is a courtier.......................................... .............X
    [maybe of King A dynasty]
    in court A

    2. X moves to B................................................. .................................................. .... X

    3.a X is granted title c.................................................. ..................................[X + c]
    in Kingdom B:
    X is now a vassal and not
    just a courier

    4.a.i. X inherits title d.................................................. ..................................[X + c + d]
    which is of the same rank
    or lower as title c
    in Kingdom A

    OR

    .................................................. ......................Kingdom A..............................Kingdom B
    1. X and Y are courtiers......................................... .X.....Y
    [maybe of King A dynasty]
    in court A

    2. X moves to B................................................. ........Y......................................... ............X

    3. X is granted title c..............................................Y... .............................................[X + c]
    in Kingdom B:
    X is now a vassal and not
    just a courier

    4. X would inherit........................................... ..............[Y + d]...................................[X + c]
    title d which is the same
    rank or lower of c
    in Kingdom A which has
    high or absolute
    crown law, so Y gets d

    OR

    .................................................. ......................Kingdom A....................................Kingdom B
    1. X is a courtier.......................................... ..................X
    [maybe of King A dynasty]
    in court A

    2. X moves to B................................................. .................................................. .....................X

    3. X is granted title c.................................................. .................................................. ....[X + c]
    in Kingdom B:
    X is now a vassal and not
    just a courier

    4. X inherits title D...........................................[X + c + D]
    which is superior in
    rank to title c
    in Kingdom A. Kingdom B's
    crown law will not effect this.

    I apologize for the formatting, but I hope this helps.
    I think I get it! Thanks.
    Try Aurora - Dwarf Fortress in Space!
    Check out my Vicky2 AAR: Last Tango in 1.3 - An Argentine AAR Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky1/2 2011 (Round 3) - Completed
    Five for Fighting - A Canadian HoI3 AAR WritAAR of the Week (December 11th - December 18th, 2011) AAR Showcase Week of 6/17/12 - Completed

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ootmar View Post
    Short answer no, but long answer is it depends. Inheritance rarely relies on dynasty (major exception seniority)

    If a dynasty member or any character is granted land in a foreign court, that person is now a vassal of that court. However, if that same person inherits lands in your realm after being granted land in a foreign court and it is of a higher rank then he already has then he will come back to your realm.



    .................................................. ...................Kingdom A.......................Kingdom B
    1. X is a courtier.......................................... .............X
    [maybe of King A dynasty]
    in court A......

    ......

    I apologize for the formatting, but I hope this helps.
    what's the significance of crown law in your notes?

  6. #6
    so i guess a good strategy for marrying off court members who are set to inherit something but don't have a title yet is to see if i can pair them up with foreign chicks who are also set to inherit or pass on a smaller title than the one my guy will inherit.

  7. #7
    Field Marshal Moltke's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    3,814
    Just because you don't directly control the land, doesn't mean it doesn't contribute greatly to your overall score. Most people probably don't even care about score, I reckon, but I think the point of the game is to expand your dynasty as much as possible. So in that regard, having your distant cousin on the throne of some distant land benefits you.

    Sadly, aside from score, there is no benefit though aside from a +5 relations boost.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Moltke View Post
    Just because you don't directly control the land, doesn't mean it doesn't contribute greatly to your overall score. Most people probably don't even care about score, I reckon, but I think the point of the game is to expand your dynasty as much as possible. So in that regard, having your distant cousin on the throne of some distant land benefits you.

    Sadly, aside from score, there is no benefit though aside from a +5 relations boost.
    Really? Score includes the dynasty holdings of everyone? Thought it was just prestige and other bits from all your own rulings...

  9. #9
    Private badger0's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cimbria
    Posts
    16
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this only add to the dynasty prestige, rather than the player score?

  10. #10
    I agree with badger0. Dynasty members outside of your realm only adds to dynasty prestige (which does make marriage easier), but has not impact on player score (unlike marrying into a dynasty with high dynasty prestige).

  11. #11
    Related to the thread title, I was just playing a game where the head of my dynasty was a female. She married some random dude who was apparently in line to inherit a barony in another country. When he inherited he left the court and took all of our kids with him. He then proceeded to ruin the previous 3 generations worth of grooming and selective breeding, although he did manage to get my sons 3 more counties. For two generations he kept ~30% of my dynasty hostage from me until he finally had a bastard with some slut (literally, that's what the pop-up said), so I had enough and assassinated him at all costs.

    Now my question is this, how does it determine who the children go with when the parents are each ruling at a different court? I swear I've been in the same position on the male side and they went with the mother, though perhaps I'm mis-remembering.

  12. #12
    I would like clarification on this, too.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by azach View Post
    until he finally had a bastard with some slut (literally, that's what the pop-up said), so I had enough and assassinated him at all costs.
    That event chain is hilarious. I found out about it when I was looking through the opinion modifiers, and saw one called "slut_seductress".

    Re. dynasty members elsewhere, don't forget they can become allies, if they ever manage to become independent.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaol View Post
    Re. dynasty members elsewhere, don't forget they can become allies, if they ever manage to become independent.
    This is a very big help playing a member of the Jimena, or a big disadvantage playing the Byz after the Sultanate of Rum is formed!
    I wish I had a cool signature...

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts