• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am glad to see we are back on topic. Let's keep it that way.

The primary purpose of the oubliette, in the game at least, is to make it highly likely that the prisoner will die in a few years without the trouble of an execution and to reduce the prisoner's stats really low while they are in prison. As far as I can tell, there is no escape difference between the oubliette and regular prison (house arrest is another matter entirely). If there is one, it's really small since I almost never lose prisoners in regular prison.

I never see your vassals being angry over an execution as squeamishness. I instead see it as worrying about your growing power. And it's only a -10 tyranny hit, so it's not that much of a problem. That's less than revoking a title.

Now, the kinslayer trait is a whole other problem. That's just your family being disgusted at your for killing a relative, and I feel that's appropriate.

"I know Uncle Edward, the Duke of Lancaster, was fond of frequenting prostitutes with webbed feet named Chloe, and he had a penchant for heresy and taking all the potato salad at family reunions, but executing him for treason is just over the top!"

Last edited:
The primary purpose of the oubliette, in the game at least, is to make it highly likely that the prisoner will die in a few years without the trouble of an execution and to reduce the prisoner's stats really low while they are in prison.

Its also a good place to put Relative who think they deserve the kingdom more then you. I send all my "complainants" there. Im seriously thinking there should be a trait for sending so many people to the oub!

I think there is, as the Queen I got "the cruel" recently, after locking up many many people.
Doesn't look like it has anything to do with locking people up.

Code:
nick_the_cruel = {
	allow = {
		age = 20
		NOT = { trait = kind }
		NOT = { trait = charitable }
		OR = {
			trait = wroth
			trait = envious
			trait = deceitful
			trait = greedy
			trait = impaler
		}
	}
	chance = {
		factor = 1
		modifier = {
			factor = 5.0
			trait = impaler
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 2.0
			trait = wroth
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 2.0
			trait = wroth
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 2.0
			trait = envious
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 2.0
			trait = deceitful
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 2.0
			trait = greedy
		}
	}
}

I think there is, as the Queen I got "the cruel" recently, after locking up many many people.

I had the exact opposite:

My Queen did not have the Cruel trait - she was Kind actually - and since I like to roleplya a bit I let like 5 or 6 prisoners out for free after I had won the war. like 1 month later my Queen was known as "the Cruel". Only thing that came to my mind was "what would they have called me if I executed all of them?".

Edit: F*** sorry for the Necro <.<

Reactions: