• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
the_dungeon = {
health = -2
diplomacy = -10
icon = 38
}
the_oubliette = {
health = -3
diplomacy = -20
icon = 38
}
house_arrest = {
diplomacy = -5
icon = 38
}

Check the modifiers on the characters you send to the oubliette.

Characters in regular prison have the prison icon and one set of modifiers. Characters you send to the oubliette have the same prison icon, but the modifiers are much worse. If you let someone have house arrest, a third set of modifiers come into play (and they are very weak).

"An oubliette (from the French oubliette, literally "forgotten place") was a form of dungeon which was accessible only from a hatch in a high ceiling. The word comes from the same root as the French oublier, "to forget", as it was used for those prisoners the captors wished to forget."

I guess it's just another type of a dungeon.

Unless you mean in game terms...in which case it's the modifiers of the person.

I had a (non-French-speaking) friend who insisted it was called the "ougliette" and told me I was wrong when I explained its roots in "oublier". Now whenever I read the word I remember him saying "ougliette" all serious-like and thinking he was being sophisticated. :-/

I had a (non-French-speaking) friend who insisted it was called the "ougliette" and told me I was wrong when I explained its roots in "oublier". Now whenever I read the word I remember him saying "ougliette" all serious-like and thinking he was being sophisticated. :-/
How does that even come up in conversation?

"An oubliette (from the French oubliette, literally "forgotten place") was a form of dungeon which was accessible only from a hatch in a high ceiling. The word comes from the same root as the French oublier, "to forget", as it was used for those prisoners the captors wished to forget."

I guess it's just another type of a dungeon.

Unless you mean in game terms...in which case it's the modifiers of the person.

I'm French and i approuve this message :p , "Les oubliettes" , in french , are typically a bad kind of dungeon were you are sent , knowing that you will never leave it alive. It's an underground dungeon. And yes "oubliette" come from the word "oublier" , to "forget" in english.

I do think its what we are talking about in CK2 . In the game the health malus represent the bad condition you have in the oubliette. You send someone there , you know he have to die after some times.

Honestly, I wish I could openly choose where to send my prisoners. I hate holding on to a prisoner until he can raise the money to pay off his ransom, only to have him kick the bucket because he couldn't handle a year of the regular dungeon. Would love the option to keep someone as a hostage indefinitely by auto-sending them into house arrest, rather than hanging on to a person of value and hope they complain about their conditions before they die.

Honestly, I wish I could openly choose where to send my prisoners. I hate holding on to a prisoner until he can raise the money to pay off his ransom, only to have him kick the bucket because he couldn't handle a year of the regular dungeon. Would love the option to keep someone as a hostage indefinitely by auto-sending them into house arrest, rather than hanging on to a person of value and hope they complain about their conditions before they die.

I agree. I lose a significant number of POWs due to poor prison conditions, and that's ransom money I'll never see.

On the other hand, some vassals act like they are Sith Lords, and they need to just go to oubliette instantly and stay there until they die. They are too dangerous to ever be let in house arrest or regular prison.

I agree. I lose a significant number of POWs due to poor prison conditions, and that's ransom money I'll never see.

On the other hand, some vassals act like they are Sith Lords, and they need to just go to oubliette instantly and stay there until they die. They are too dangerous to ever be let in house arrest or regular prison.

Just mod the -2 health to -1 or even 0.

I think you still can free him, which isn't what oubliette are for...

You send somebody to the oubliette if you're intending to never let them out. Obviously you might change your mind about it. You (and he) might just wish you had kept them in a regular cell, though!

basically if you'd rather them just die, oubliette will facilitate that faster for you. faster being a relative term...

supposing you don't assassinate them.

The oubliette has goblin cleaners.

[video=youtube;r85sWHNbd_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r85sWHNbd_Y[/video]

completely unnecesary post....