• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

lol887

Captain
8 Badges
Oct 25, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
My first AAR. Expending from my posts in the "Post your AHD empire thread".
Im trying to play a realistic game and will respect the infamy limit, thus it is not a World Conquest game.
Victoria 2 version: Vanilla AHD 2.1

A Habsburg Germany
An Austrian AAR
24zvg9f.jpg

My plan was to make a German Empire with Austria. I started with puppeting Two sicilies, this would keep my southern border calm, and also supply some soldiers later. Then I started by forging some alliances with the other strong GP in Europe. The UK, Spain, Switzerland, some small Italian states and my puppeted Two sicilies joined me, and were also happy to join me in a war against Prussia. But the war was hard to win, but with the help of my allies my German SOI I managed to win it. But Prussia(with it's german SOI and the Ottoman Empire) fought my alliance to a stalemate, and in the end started taking over Austria. But then suddenly France decided to attack Prussia. This combined with me producing some new soldiers(my Army was gone before this) and the Ottoman Empire going for a White Peace, managed to turn the tide. And in the end Prussia was defeated. After this first war against Prussia, I reduced them to a Secondary power, and managed to take Schleisen,Posen and Prussian-Württemberg in the process. Then i managed to include most German states in my sphere, and formed the South german Confederacy.
After the war, my empire looked like this.

35nd8hs.jpg

Then i started getting as many German states into my SOI while Prussia was reduced to a secondary power. I also decleared war on Prussia again(who this time was without any allies) and turned them into a puppet.
Then after getting about 80-90% of the German states into my SOI, I managed to get a alliance with the Ottoman Empire. With this i attacked France to take Alsace-lorraine, so I could form the German Empire. France was at this time allied with Russia and Scandinavia(wich formed out of nowhere, and sphered Prussia), so I had to fight a Two front war against both, but had the help of Switzerland,UK, Puppeted Prussia, Puppeted Two Sicilies and my German SOI. This was not easy, but I managed to win. As i always fear Russias land army in my Victoria 2 games, I sent most of my troops to my long border with Russia. This proved to be a mistake as the French army was larger than the Russian one. My Ottoman allies also proved to be completely useless. But having Prussia as a puppet helped quite a bit on the Eastern front. But then after beating Russia on my Eastern front, I managed to get a White Peace from them, so I could reinforce my troops, and German SOI troops, barely holding back the French at the western front. I then Invaded France from the North and South(through Sardinia-piedemonte), and soon my troops was in Paris. Then France agreed to Alsace-lorraine, and i got Prussia into my SOI from Scandinavia.
Soon after i managed to get all the German states into my SOI, and formed the German Empire.

33vg4k0.jpg

My plans after this consisted of getting some more states, colonies and weakening my GP neighbours to secure my borders.
As I was a Central European Empire with no land in Africa, I needed to get the Suez Canal. Both to extend my naval base range, and also prevent UK from blockading my the mediterraneans with Gibralatar. Thus i decleared war on Egypt to get the suez canal. Wich was easy to get.
Then to reduce any threat from the South i released Bulgaria from the Ottoman Empire. Both to destabilize the Ottoman Empire, and also to reduce their Prestige.
After this I also took Bosnia from them in a second war. Thus any military threat from the Ottoman Empire was removed.

My I then turned to Russia, and decleared a Liberate People war on them. I primarely wanted to get some states from them, but had to much Infamy to do this. My plan was then to rather to destabilize Russia by liberating Ukraine, giving them war exhaustion and reducing their armies. I manged to release kiev, and Ukraine was formed. But I plan to take a state or two from Russia when my infamy decreases to finally remove any threat from them, so i only i can focus on France.
Also, as you can see, Italy formed. This might need to be dealth with later, but as for now they are no threat to the German Empire.

2czbiiq.jpg

Last edited:
Austria running wild in central europe, frorming the German Empire is an alltime favorite of mine.
Consider me on you bandwagon.

Might I ask why have taken Posen from the prussians in the first war? It seems to me that Posen is the most rural and therefore most useless Province (or is it region in Vic II ?) of Prussia. Why not go for the Rhineland?

You really did some Bismarck-esque alliance politics. As I migh explain:
1. You fight Prussia with the help of Britain and Spain, and getting rescued by opportunistic France
2. You fight France, Russia and Scandinavia with the help of the Ottomans
3. Declaring war on Egypt, which the Ottomans look upon as being in it's SOI (maybe not in your game, but in real history) and taking Suez which really would alienate your longtime ally UK.
4. You fight the Ottomans, taking Bosnia and releasing Bulgaria

This might be looked upon as gamey by some, but I call it Bismarck-esque. I suppose you had Schwarzenberg as your advisor.

How will you continue? Ally with Italy and declare war on France. And then declar war on Italy to ''retake'' northern Italy or release the Pope?
A Great War with your austrian German Empire and the British Empire on one side and France, Russia, Scandinavia, Italy and Ottomans on the other would make an epic story.

Keep the updates coming.

Might I ask why have taken Posen from the prussians in the first war? It seems to me that Posen is the most rural and therefore most useless Province (or is it region in Vic II ?) of Prussia. Why not go for the Rhineland?
I was going to unite Germany soon anyway and get all of Prussias land, so if the province war rual or not did not matter. So i only took Posen because it expended my borders, and devided Prussia up in two parts. And also reduced Prussias prestige, thus keeping them as a Secondary power longer.
Rhineland was also not a option, as i did not want a border against France to soon.
How will you continue? Ally with Italy and declare war on France. And then declar war on Italy to ''retake'' northern Italy or release the Pope?
A Great War with your austrian German Empire and the British Empire on one side and France, Russia, Scandinavia, Italy and Ottomans on the other would make an epic story.
My first objective is to take some land from France, but im not shure if i need allies to do it. I can take France without allies now.

Last edited:
Update:

The French-German war of 1885-1886:
I decided it was time to deal with my main landpower rival, France. My plan was to take a state to reduce their power.
Alliances and truces before the war:
i1y848.jpg

As i was kinda isolated, I had to do this war on my own. But as i had the strongest army in Europe, this should be no problem.
205xief.jpg

I then decleared war on France, and it's allies rushed to help it. The british on the other hand had no honor and broke their word, and left our alliance. They will regret this later.
350pco1.jpg

The war started goood, and in the start i did not need to mobilise to beat the French. Unfourtunatly the spanish troops turned the tide on the front and I had no choice but to mobilise.
2yjpr9l.jpg

On the other hand, i had no problems against the scandinavians in the North.
2e0l553.jpg

Then something strange happend, out of nowhere in the middle of the war the Dutch offered me a Alliance. I accepted and asked them to join the war, wich they were more than willing to do. This turned the war in my favor. And the French was surprised to see a new front open in the North.
5yyykh.jpg

Then by July 1886, the I had full controll of the war, winning most battles and starting to occupy more and more of France. The Scandinavians had also seen the futality of the war, and agreed to a White Peace, freeing up my troops in the North.
5mzgi9.jpg

Then by November 1886, I had occupied large parts of France and the French army was almost gone. But my army was also greatly reduced.
2uqoj83.jpg

Then in December 1886, after a little more than a year of war, the French gave up. Having almost nothing left of my army myself, i accepted their terms.
f1d18g.jpg

The war was costly, and my military score was reduced to 4 place because of it. But the German Empire is still the 1. GP, and keeps growing:
Somehow strangely Scandinavia wanted to us to be Allies after I won the war against them. I guess if you can't beat them, you might as well join them.
xkyu83.jpg

Last edited:
Tripple WTF laugh at ukraine in the middle of russia :D
It was easy choice, Kiev had the highest population density in the Russian Empire. So i released it. I also did not want a Ukraine with a border with me, as i have some Ukrainian POPs in my Empire. Better then to have them destabilizing Russia from the inside.

Will probably make a new war on Russia as soon as my infamy drops, they have huge number of Ukrainian POPs in the south, so a combination of a Released Ukraine and a high war exhaustion can lead to some interesting results.

Luxemburg and Switzerland are making your western border messy, please fix! :p

The same for Congress Poland and Krakow in the east...
Switzerland and Luxemburg is not worth the infamy. But i will probably take Congress Poland in my next Russian war.

The state of the Empire, and the Scramble for Africa

After the wars, I thought it was time to look at how the German Empire is doing besides expanding it's borders.
rbhda9.jpg

As you can see, assimilation is going quite well, and in most of the German Empire North Germans or South Germans are the majority. I also have got a number of new core regions, and now have cores on French,Italian,Bosnian and Egyptian provinces.

Meanwhile the Scramle of Africa is on, and the German Empire is not doing that well.
55fc4o.jpg

As you can see, France was first out and gobbeled up huge amounts of the African cake. But thankfully managed to get a foothold in somalia, and then expanded southward. The other GPs seems to have missed the party except a small Scandinavian colony in Ghana. Two sicilies got Congo, but because they joined Italy no one really has it now, But it is in my SOI.
France also tried to cut off my colonial expansion south of somalia, but i managed to sneak by it.
34fg0mw.jpg

Then jump a few years ahead:

2vtp3pe.jpg

As you can see, even more parts of the German Empire now has a German majority, and only a few regions still has a Non-German majority.
My military is also slowly rebuilding after the devestating French-German war that reduced it to a shadow of itself.
dzid06.jpg

A more detailed look at the Population also reveals a German majority of 65,6% and most vote Liberal, wich is good as i want a Laizze-Faire part in power.
Having the largest industry in the world also has it advantages, and I have 35Million £ saved up and can actually survive on only income from gold and Tarrifs.
rwo40k.jpg

More happy people -> More assimilation and less revolts -> even stronger economy.

Jump ahead a few more years:
68al51.jpg

The Assimilation is going even better now. Most of the former Austrian lands are now South German, and Hungarians are only a minority in one province. Also notice no Polish people in the Polish cores in Russia.
htuxc6.jpg

The Scramble for Africa did not go as planned, and unfortunatly France got most of it, but I did at least managed to expand my African colonies to the south.
But as I am the number one Industrial power in the World and have 3-4 of the Chinese substates in my sphere, the loss of the African colonies is not that large.

Last edited:
Switzerland and Luxemburg is not worth the infamy. But i will probably take Congress Poland in my next Russian war.

if you had got luxembourg into your SOI before accepting the 3 hurrahs for Germany decision then you would have gained it without any war or infamy, i'm not critising just letting you know so next time you can try it