• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Okay.

You see, you DO try too damn hard. But sometimes it works. I was positively giggling like a little girl reading William the Legitimate's recruitment paper done as free association excercise, with increasingly high pitch until it got to Mallards. Then my boyfriend went and told me I shamed the manliness of my beard. I got drunk and finished reading this giving out occasional gruff guffaws.

Also, when you informed me the Liberals had more Arts than the Conservatives even back in the Middle Ages, I gave a ragged drunken cheer.

It was an eventful hour or so. Thank you.

Oh my, look at all the comments.

Hannibal X: In theory, yes. However, the Hautevilles are a huge family, so working one's way up to the top of the line of inheritance would be quite difficult. You'll see what happens in future updates. Thanks for reading, too.

Estonianzulu: That'd be a pretty bad trip.

Willum: The latter is more likely. It's against the laws of physics to have that much cunning in one place.

JuvenalianSatyr: Glad you're enjoying it so far. Can't say I'm surprised it reminds you of something really terrible.

phargle: Welcome back, sir. :) I'm glad to have you reading the new Salopards.

Sa Grace, le Duc de Bonbon: Welcome aboard. There really ought to be a two drink minimum for reading the AAR, it sounds much better when you're roaring drunk. And thanks for the, uh, constructive insult. :unsure: I do try too damn hard. The alternative is trying too hard not to try too hard, which wouldn't be an improvement.

Anyways, this is just to inform you ladies and gentlemen that despite appearances, the SalopAARds aren't dead yet. I've just been feeling uninspired lately. Something should be up sometime next week, or the week after that.

You should watch it, if you have the stomach for such things, as the theatrics of Lucius were uncannily similar to the "special" effects I remember.

The "trying too hard" comment is actually pretty fitting, and for me it wouldn't be an insult at all. That trying too hard is what makes the humor work for me, it makes the world the Salopards inhabit into a pastiche parody, and theatrical. The Blackadder references are on the money because I find it pretty similar. It's absurd, and should remain so, and while the subtle touches are often the best (the Liberal/Conservative arts, for instance), I feel it works because it takes what's familiar (both history and Crusader Kings 2, for us) and turns it on its head, while still having the heart of the source material. If that makes any sense, I think I lost myself there.

And thanks for the, uh, constructive insult. :unsure: I do try too damn hard. The alternative is trying too hard not to try too hard, which wouldn't be an improvement.

1. This is logic Vizzini would be proud of....but
2. As the hairy roman goatman said, it's not meat to be insulting. Classic Pratchett, for example, tries too hard. Monty Python, also tries too hard. It's theatrical buffoonery. And it works.