• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hold on, there's something wrong with PrawnStar's Inevitable Empire flag...

RiZ35.png

Better?

Been lurking since the beginning, but I've been playing more myself recently, so I figured I'd post.

Do you expect lots of problems from the colonies coming soon? I admit, the colonial end of the game is one that I have the most problems with.

FEEDBACK​

No individual feedback this time as I'm not terribly well and struggling to concentrate (I've been off work ill for the last three days).

Apologies to all who felt the Milanese Embassy thing was cheesy - probably gained about 0.2BB from it although I was going to run BB down very low anyway before taking an 18 point peace deal. Works both ways I lost the BB reduction of my Embassy in earlier in the AAR when the province (somewhere in Spain I can't remember exactly) was captured by the AI. Settlement policy works in a similar manner :(

There are some maps at the end of the next update that should answer a lot of questions about colonies, map spread, Scandinavia and what's happening in Central Europe. As the capital is London those Alpine provinces didn't connect any more territories to the capital. I have about 650,000 troops just over half in Europe the rest spread world wide. Morea is a Milanese vassal. Royal OPMs like Castile are waiting for R/CR when they can be annexed for 2BB rather than 4BB under Imperialism. Burgundy can build ships in uncored ports. I'm probably better at coping with rebels than just about anyone else playing - see my Golden Horde AAR for details - so I really don't know it they'd be at a problem level for most players - doesn't feel that way to me. Nice flag :)

CHAPTER FIFTY FOUR​

September 1714 brings a DOW from the Shawnee, a complete surprise tbh.

2qwzk89.jpg

The timing is annoying since I was planning to attack them in 1719 to have a newly conquered province available for an Embassy when my current one expires in 1720. I’m able to force a white peace by early December to keep my time line for the Americas on track. Aztec DOW straight after peace with the Shawnee. It’s the wrong CB to take land so I’ll just hit them hard and see if they’ve any money. The biggest problem is the loss of peacetime war exhaustion reduction. The Aztecs had picked up warnings from Burgundy and Bohemia so they are now at war with 800,000 high tech troops. Of course Burgundy and Bohemia are at war with each other so that may complicate things…

Aztec are peaced out for some gold in March when I storm their COT in Mixtec. There’s no point losing war exhaustion reduction by continuing a war with nothing to gain.

I am taking a bite out of the Golden Horde.

ofugxh.jpg

England is very quiet for several year so here’s something different - Germany in April 1719

1ymmis.jpg

Messy is probably the best term for that lot, you can see why I’m not really bothering to keep track of the details.

July 1719 Diplomat swap out

wsrcdw.jpg

A new Lord Protector - 11th September 1719

2uhwgtt.jpg

This chap isn’t going to spend his time hunting rebels in the Andes!

Early December 1719 and my truce with the Shawnee ends - BB is 2.51 / 23.00 falling at 3.10 a year.

War with Shawnee

344tit4.jpg

They’re still down at Land 4 so this is just a quick grab of a new site for an Embassy.

January 1720 I’m finally able to take the Abolition of Slavery decision. It’s worth two BB over the remaining century of the game. I’m concerned that going further Innovative will cost me more BB than I gain through reduced Papal Influence leading to fewer cardinals. Fortunately an event moves me back a point narrow-minded within a couple of years.

2r60k7q.jpg

Peace with the Shawnee - April 1720

2d0iezp.jpg

War with Burgundy - June 1720

2ag9q89.jpg

Burgundy is building ships in an uncored province and still has QftNW. Bohemia is getting ganged by just about every other European power. The war is a grind, while Burgundian armies aren’t much of a challenge the widespread Level 4 fortresses have slowed progress. A year in and I’ve only captured five provinces.

September 1721

2akhgex.jpg

I’ve just reached Gov’t 41 opening up a ninth National Idea slot. I’m nine years ahead of time researching the fields I’m still interested in. Other interesting things on the economy are the sheer amount of trade income and the monthly cost of running fifty nine colonies. As well as building more Trade buildings I’ve been boosting Production in high value European provinces. Bohemia is in deep trouble. According to the Ledger they’ve over thirty thousand troops, I have no idea where.

The idea was a choice between Engineer Corps for the extra point of Leader Siege or Smithian Economics for +20% Production Efficiency. I chose Engineer Corps since the economy is going very well right now and I’m struggling with fortified Europe.

By December BB is down to 1.85 and Burgundy is nowhere near yielding an acceptable peace deal…

War with the Aztecs

2zyy62d.jpg

And the following April peace with the Aztecs

2jcsfa9.jpg

BB is up to 4.71 / 23.00 falling at 3.32 a year. 0.4 of that fall is due to Burgundy’s Embassy in Metz - they aren’t yet ready to make an acceptable peace. I’m avoiding Koblenz as that’s a settlement policy province for which I would take the BB hit as occupier. I’ve previously fallen foul of that particular game mechanic.

It doesn’t always go my way…

t65ow1.jpg

I lost concentration and didn’t spot an incoming Burgundian stack hitting a leaderless siege force. I was able to extract the remnants of that stack but it’ll be some months before it’s much use.

Peace with Burgundy - June 1723

2db5qps.jpg

It took another year or so to work through Burgundy’s fortresses to get enough war score for the peace deal I wanted. BB is now 12.79 / 23.00 falling at 3.02 a year. I’ve three points of war exhaustion to burn off.

Peace with the Golden Horde - October 1724

2wly8mb.jpg

I’ve taken three provinces to push the frontier back across the entire border. This also opens up the two northern provinces to colonisation.

As 1725 starts let’s look at a couple of maps.

dfdpe.jpg

The Scandinavian mess looks rather better after some Milanese styling. Milan is currently at war with Sweden.

Elsewhere Germany has seen dramatic changes (again)…

35jxxzp.jpg

Can’t keep a good Borg down I guess!

Meanwhile the colonisation drive has been a little crazy in the last twenty five years…

2i1p94k.jpg

Why on earth were the Americans attacking you? That's just asking for trouble!

well ... what is left to colonize? a tiny bit of Africa , the Pacific? they won't have the range to get that far.
The borg is dioing great , in fact :D

If I were you, I would try and get a hhuge peace deal with Miland for a bunch of poor Scandinavian provinces. That way, you could probably get them cheap.

I'd be sorely tempted to load up as Burgundy, just to see if there's anything they can colonize from their new Baltic port. But that'd be cheating. So there's clearly no other solution than taking that port. And since you can't very well take an isolated port, a couple of Bohemian provinces along the coast will neatly connect it to your empire. On the other hand, looks like the Hansa is still alive, they need to be annexed - and then it's only two more provinces to connect to Mecklenburg from the west (I'm hoping some of those provinces will be someone's vassal). To connect from the west or the east, such a tough choice - do both.

I feel a famous line from Oliver Hardy coming on ... Another fine mess...

I niavely assumed you'd fight Burgundy for ttheir coastal province and then DoW Bohemia simutaneously for their 6 coastal provinces leaving behind a guarantee to Holstein and Hansa. I wasn't expecting a land grab off Burgundy. Milan's done a good job consolidating Scandinavia. After they've finished off Sweden, they'll have Hansa and Holstein and those provinces you can then take off them. Securing Bohemia's coastal provinces is important security for your deliberate colonization effort. Then another war with Burgundy for its coastal province. I've never seen an ai build ships in an uncored province: I've seen them build mercs on provinces of mine they capture, temporarily, during the wars, however.

Bavaria looks to have Austrian and Ansbach trouble. Bavaria isn't very good at two front wars.

I hope you're soon back to your usual self.

First time reply

Been lurking and must say... another divine job Prawnstar! By the looks of it there is 1 province left on the east coast of America and 2 on the coast of South Africa, their is not a way in hell anyway could colonise any of that except Milan. If they did it would be easily destroyed by either war or spy led rebelions. As for the whole uncored navies thing.... i saw Austria build a navy once in its only port in Wallachia that it captured only a few weeks earlier without causes belli, so yes they can build a navy if they want, the A.I. plays by its own rules. Anyway hope you feel better soon!

At the same time, there are only a limited number of places that Burgundy could possibly colonize, and some of them would be totally nonsensical (that one prov in Africa would require an insane colonial range). Your only real threat is them colonizing in the Antilles, and even there they couldn't possibly colonize to the degree that you couldn't just steal their colonies from them when the truce ends.

Do you have any plans for the German annexations? Like, for example, taking the former capitals of minors ASAP, so during the many internal wars over the shrinking area nobody will get stupid ideas of asking for releasing nations in peace treaties...

FEEDBACK​

Just some quick responses whie I'm waiting for something to happen in RL (can't remember what but management will inform me when I'm needed ;)) No update today.

Arakhor - The Aztec and Shawnee attacks are a complete mystery, Axe27's suggestion seems reasonable though!

sprites - Coastal left to colonise, one province in Northern Canada, two in Zululand and the American West Coast north of Baja - that's it.

dragonizer - Yeah, but why?

homy_dog34 - There's a trade off involved in what to take from Milan. The Scandinavian provinces are cheap - cheap enough I could easily take 10 in a peace deal for 20BB as much as I'd be comfortable with. But, that's the sort of deal that works a lot better using R/CR and only paying 10BB. Elsewhere as countries get smaller their provinces cost more (see Burgundy high nineties for only six provinces in the last update) so I don't want to end up having to take lots of high value provinces off Milan in the end game - 100% wars for 4 provinces and 4BB as 1821 looms is nasty. Back in one of my IN AARs Milan was down to 10 provinces needing 6 wars by 1800 becaus those Italian lands are such high value. My thinking is take the high value stuff now at 2BB a province and go for the low value stuff using R/CR at 1BB.

Barsoom - I definitely want to tidy up along the north German coast - my problem is then who will consolidate the OPMs. Tricky, I'm going to try and leave it for a few years and see what happens. You will approve of my next war though :)

Chief Ragusa - Thanks. It's quite interesting now, how do I keep taking the land I want while promoting consolidation within Germany. Not sure I'm doing terribly well on that point as new OPMs keep appearing and disappearing.

EmperorG - Thank you. I agree I'm very close to the point when map spread is immaterial because there are no coasts or islands left to settle.

Axe27 - That's probaby the only sensible answer :)

Merrick Chance' - A couple more years and the only coast uncolonised will be the American West Coast. I need to discover the last Canadian province and the two unsettled Zulu provinces still have natives - and those natives are Zulus so good luck there :) All the same taking colonies while cheap is still BB I'd rather not spend.

Memento Mori - Excellent point and newly spawned German OPMs are probably my biggest remaining problem in game. The problem with Germany is that there are huge numbers of provinces that can become OPMs. AI peace deals keep creating them - hopefully AI wars will keep getting rid of them. As I've said to Barsoom, I'm going to leave Germany alone for a while and hope that's enough for the consolidation to restart.