• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Empire/World map?

For Qin , if it's not a chinese province You can DoW them , teh them have 20 WE , then white peace with some rebels to make them defect.
I was pretty surprised at shogunate disbanding , this must be the reason you can't have the green daimyo.

You're hoping the Qin get nomadded. I'd have taken the prpvince -it'd be another year before you could peace out Brunei. You chose not to do that. I think you have a problem with Japan. If my reading of the form Japan event is correct, it won't form with three daimyios and the diamyo that does it has to annex Kyoto. Blue should annex Green. Then just let Blue take Settsu and cede it to them when they demand it in peace. Help youself to provinces off Pink in peace with Kyoto. Then watch Blue form Japan.
Historically Courland did establish a colony,so may take Quest around 1700.

You'll be left with a 6 province Brunei, 2 of which you have cores on.

You need consolidation in Europe which means revoking that Reform.

Impressive Holy Warring, you got way more out of the CB than you originally estimated. Good to see the nomad plan work with Ming, here's hoping that results will be similar with Qin.

Thanks for the unclaimed cores list!

I realize this is a long time down the line, but what are your government plans after R/CR becomes available? Do you think it's worth it to change back to an elective republic type when you don't need the Imperialism CB anymore (provided, of course, that you've dealt with any rival republics by then)?

Thank you for your quick updates. It was really a very pleasant suprise to see another update. Gamewise, I have nothing to say. The latest updates were especially impressive.

Hi PrawnStar, thank you for this. It really helps me how to handle Badboy, as it's something I'm really bad at.

Just read the Iroqouis game, the fall of Portugal was hilarious. I like your typing, but feel that at some point, the rest of the game is just cleaning up the mess.

Currently just got wiped by Bohemia, Castille, Burgundy and Austria simultaneously as Ottomans; I had too much BB to expand fast enough to become a power they couldn't handle, I think.

How fast setting are you playing this? Speed 1?

An end to the era of Holy War, or almost, just one more peace to conclude. I'm looking forward to the State of the Empire address. You've given some interesting hints on future strategy which I hope you will expand in the next update, particularly as they go against some of my assumptions. This:

I can switch to Republican Dictatorship for Imperalism CB as soon as I want (it's Gov't 29) but Admin Republic is superior while Holy War is available. I'll be hitting Europe pretty soon using Imperialism - the rest of the world will just fit in the gaps between wars with the Emperor.

I understand that Europe is your main concern from now on and that you need the Imperial CB to deal with it. I expect you'll be trying to seal off the coasts of likely colonizers. I expect you'll be targeting republics specifically, so that you can use your Revolutionary War CB to the fullest once you get it.

You're in no particular hurry with the pagans. Of course it will be useful to seal the coasts, so you can prevent European colonization, but inland Congo, Mutapa, Iroquois and so on can wait. I also understand European wars will demand a high toll in WE, and so require time off. Sure, Colonial Wars will be useful fillers while you recover strength in Europe.

But I happen to agree that Admin Republic is better. And the best thing about it is that you have much more control over the diplomacy score of your rulers. You've had a great run so far. You've had quite a bit of BB-free expansion, in Europe and outside, from border disputes. Essentially, you'll be giving up on that. And you'll be doing it, it seems, before you really have to.

As long as you have other targets, even inessential Colonial CB targets, you could stick to Admin Republic. I'm not sure you even need a good CB if your only goal in a European war is to disband the Empire. What convinced you to switch earlier?

Essentially, you'll be giving up on that. And you'll be doing it, it seems, before you really have to.

As long as you have other targets, even inessential Colonial CB targets, you could stick to Admin Republic. I'm not sure you even need a good CB if your only goal in a European war is to disband the Empire. What convinced you to switch earlier?
Well, it's kind of a gamble anyway. His ruler is fairly young, so he would probably live long enough to eliminate the Pagans, so any election would be pointless as he'd stick with the guy anyway.
Should he go with Dictatorship right now, however, he's got additional options in Imperialism CB.

That's what I'm thinking anyway, I support switching to Dictatorship.

The shogunate disbanded by the English! The bastards! :D

How about unam sanctam? Are there many heretic provinces?

FEEDBACK​

diegoami - I think the important thing is to stay focused on Holy War and not get distracted by nice targets in Europe.

homy_dog34 - Thanks

Ricardo Rolo - Too late to Holy War in Japan any further :) I don't want Provence yet - it's the only non-England land connection to Admin Republic Avignon - while it exists someone might take out Avignon - otherwise I'm looking at 4BB which I'd rather avoid. Qin's province is cultural Chihan.

Aminti - The near term plan works out rather differently to your suggestions! Land tech is already 28 - I have a slight lead on Bohemia. When warring Milan I'm going to try for one or two Imperial provinces as well as Scandinavia - weaken the Empire and these will be the high price provinces that will be difficult to get in large numbers come 1800. Alas I plan to leave Burgundy for some decades - ideally when the Empire falls they'll do some consolidation for me.

Arakhor - Pretty much yes :)

Leonoob - Still too early for me to be working numbers but some decent reasoning in there. I have no idea how many provinces are left or what I'll need to spend to take them - at the moment it's just a fairly straightforward push for efficient wars mainly aimed at the Empire.

dragonizer - Thanks and yes keep on plugging away is the answer (in life as well as AARs!).

PdoxNewbie - Coming up.

sprites - I don't know what's going on with Japan - but I'll get them :)

DeadeyeDave - Quite possibly - I was hoping the Timurids would swarm all over Northern India but once Hindustan formed that wasn't going to happen.

Chief Ragusa - I'm hoping Qin will get nomaded but Oirats keep vassalising them - looks like a R/CR scenario :(. Don't worry about Courland - Livonia will be English by then :) Not sure yet about the reform but yes consolidation is needed.

Malurous - Yes, the Holy Warring does feel massively ahead of schedule so that's very good. I plan on going R/CR as soon as I can - if nothing else I'll want it for cleaning OPMs and minors.

Fflewddur - LOL

Franconian - I'm trying to get finished in 2012 :)

lord_joakim - Hi and welcome. Always good to know people are learning more about the game and how to prosper - there's quite a learning curve and not too many games that need you to think this much. Virtually the entire game will be played on the slowest setting with lots of pauses and cups of tea.

blsteen - Yes back to Europe - the remaining East Asians are very much a side show now.

Barsoom - Good post with lots of valid points as always - the heart of my answer is basically I want to start taking provinces in Europe and Imperialism is the way to do that. More thoughts in the posts coming up.

no7892142 - I'm thinking along those lines, Imperialism gives me options in Europe and that's where the action is.

Taylor - The reformation didn't reallty take off so Unam Sanctum isn't much use - learned that in my test game.

CHAPTER FORTY TWO

It’s 1650 let’s take a look around.

The economy

34sneqr.jpg

The Trade game is going pretty well. Current push is a bit more Land tech, at 29 I can build the War College unique building for more Military Tradition.

The military

1430va1.jpg

I’ve upgraded recently to Gustavians and Gallop.

Ideas and Sliders

y2bcw.jpg

Nothing wildly exciting here although I should probably pay more attention than I do.

Colonial Americas

25uqjpg.jpg

This is the entire American Empire - the plan is Brazil/Caribbean with Mexico the first target for Colonial CB warfare. Doesn’t look much? That’s 42 provinces.

Nations compared

30sauc5.jpg

Armies

34r6pkw.jpg

No surprises here.

Navies

2qxt44n.jpg

Pies

2cztxm0.jpg

There’s a lot of Catholics in England.

Some insight into Trade

dfybtu.jpg

European COTs remain very difficult to develop monopolies in - still lots of good trader nations in the Empire.

Hordistan

2iriuw.jpg

Europe

34o3atf.jpg

Religion in Asia

2khvo1.jpg

The pie chart doesn’t do it justice.

The Old World

mbpeo1.jpg

CHAPTER FORTY THREE

So now the Holy War phase is over, what happens next?

Two thing dominate thinking.

It’s Europe time - I have to start reducing European powers, both in size and numbers, or I won’t be able to finish them off in time once provinces get very developed and very expensive. My experience in World Conquests has been of being very rushed to finish off Europe with OPMs and very expensive provinces all over - 100% war score might only equal two provinces in Northern Italy by 1810 - too slow doing it all by R/CR.

Imperialism CB - For the next 130 years the 2BB a province Imperialism CB is the ‘best price’ for European provinces. I need to change Government to Republican Dictatorship and there’s a price, non-elected lifelong rulers so I could be stuck with a diplo idiot.

Cores, Borneo, Japan and the pagan factions are all still on the agenda but not that high up - just as the last century has been a Holy War to the East this one must be the Imperial invasion of Europe. The only important thing is to annexed all the Pagans before R/CR - another ‘opportunity cost’ analysis.

One limiting factor on behaviour will be the Empire. I don’t see Bohemia having the Imperial Authority to pass too many reforms so I suspect I need to dismantle - one way or another. In the shorter term I need to be careful about taking provinces from the Empire since I can only stockpile enough magistrates to remove five straight away.

But in the very near future I have some unfinished business…

How did you get so many English-cultured provinces?

I think that pie chart is a bit iffy - I've had half a dozen cultural assimilations and there aren't that many colonies.