• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some points on Japan: The war score in Japan in general is pretty ridiculous, so you need to use it wisely... and the best way to do that is to dissolve the shugonate fast ( after that, the Japanese factions are equal to every other country in terms of conquest and diplo ) . Unfortunately, due to the much maligned shugonate bug in 5.1 ( I STRONGLY suggest you to read this ) , you will need to kill 2 of the daimyos before being able to do so and you missed a good chance here to prepare that :(

Anyway, good run and , in spite of Mr Anson Dip 9 being missed, his successor Dip 8 ( + Adm 8 :D ) is not exactly much behind ... another one that will be in government until he chokes in a scone ...;)

109 years of DIP 9 rulers. That's huge. Agree with Malurous on that. DIP 8 is not too bad. Just not as good in gaining boundary disputes.

Bohemia at war with Burgundy, but all 200000 troops pouring across the Russian frontier. Just what you need, some insane Bohemian corporal making all the decisions! English troops may have trouble defending Prague, but taking it is proving no obstacle.

You took the hit on BB for Livonia and Riga because the Japanese weren't surrendering to you. At 6 provinces per war, you'll take another 24 provinces, if you can fit in 4 more Holy Wars. You'll be looking to encourage one daimyo to annex his rivals.

Ming should retake Qin. Then once you've taken the provinces around the capital off Brunei, the Ming capital should move. Once you take the Oirat Horde province by settling it, you can force release the Oirat Horde out of Ming. Take the former capital. If there's anything left of Ming, the horde should put an end to it.

When there's Holy War on the line, those OPM Indians suddenly play nice with each other. It can be most frustrating.

Last edited:
Good progress, again. Your Asian empire is much bigger than your hopes at the start of the Holy War drive to the east. Your European empire is also quite a bit bigger than I thought it would be at the time. So many boundary disputes!

I don't think I've ever seen such luck with rulers before. Amazing stats and amazingly long lived. You should be very happy about all the BB-free conquests, they might very well make the difference in the end. David Benbow is another prodigy. uat2d is right, of course, the only thing that matters is his dip stat. Trouble is if you trade him in, you might be stuck with much less for 4 years, or 8, or 12.

Interesting remark re: Mings isolated capital. You have a devious plan to rob Ming of its capital, then let the nomads annex them, thus getting rid of annexation costs... correct? Very smart, I wouldn't have thought of that without your otherwise mysterious remark.

*salutes to Richard Anson* May he rest in eternal peace. He was an essential leader that paved the world towards its upcoming dominion under the British flag.

Progress as planned, I suppose, apart from the Qin being released. The AI is entirely too happy doing that usually, especially when you don't want them to. Nice foothold in Japan - I note you're hoping another daimyo will take care of that last province. I think Japan will have about 15 provinces that aren't yours at the Holy War end. Perhaps a bit less depending on the angle of expansion you're taking... I'm not sure which provinces are the cheaper ones in Japan. Boundary disputes are also prestige drains until you disband the shogunate, so that's bad.

Your new leader has a knack for arriving fashionably late - you've gone through the Chinese-low-supply-limit provinces already and the only provinces that are likely to give you a lot of trouble for attrition are Brunei's - unless you're planning to punch through the Alps. I suppose Manchu's provinces aren't stellar either as far as supply goes, but eh. 8 diplo is acceptable enough, 8 admin is good for getting more Catholic provinces and it does lower build costs slightly, I suppose. Speaking of: how's the religious conversion going? Are you cherry-picking high tax provinces to go first or is it just an advancing front of missionaries? And if so - where are they by now?

Another long time lurker here:p

I have couple of questions relating to your strategy as I'm trying to play similar WC game.

1)How large are your stacks and when do you know you should add a couple of regiments to them?

2)Whats your cavalry to infantry ratio?

3)Where do you recruit troops and navy?

4)Which buildings do you build first? Just spamming trade buildings?

Why aren't you just hovering below the infamy limit? Isn't that a better way of doing things?

Having high infamy means that if his infamy cap suddenly goes down, he's over the limit. Also, high infamy reduces the number of cardinals he will have, which means less infamy reduction. (It also means his merchants don't do as well in foreign CoT's, but that doesn't really apply much anymore.)

Why aren't you just hovering below the infamy limit? Isn't that a better way of doing things?
No, it isn't. In fact, it's best to stay as close to zero infamy as possible, thus maximizing the chances of getting a cardinal, which reduces infamy even further. Of course, PrawnStar doesn't want to risk getting to zero (BB needs to be burned constantly), so he will maintain a safe margin. Since he can't break a peace deal within 5 years, he will take large amounts of territory and BB in one deal, so he'll have enough to burn during the truce. Conversely, if you stay close to the BB limit, you'll have time to burn but you can't ever make big gains, forcing you to fight the same enemy over and over again. At 5-year intervals that means very slow progress against enemies like Hindustan or Ming - not optimal. You can see that when Prawn didn't gain enough (usually due to warscore limitations) he's attacked someone else in the meantime, but he's always kept enough room for big gains against big enemies. All this together produces a jojo pattern, which I think is the most effective use of BB.

edit: Ninja'd (but I think I still have something to add).

JoJo pattern?:laugh:
He seems to keep infamy 3 to 8.
Room for big spikes first with hindustan 15 or 16 after frist war.

To add to the excellent previous answers, higher infamy also makes Boundary Disputes less common. Having low BB isn't as instrumental for Boundary Disputes as, say, having a high DIP ruler, but it still helps - I believe you get something like one third more of them with a couple of BB points than you do when you're close to the limit (I don't remember exactly as the event modifiers were changed from HTTT to DW). If you consider that and look at the overall number of Boundary Disputes in this AAR (rather high) then it's safe to say that it has made a notable difference as far as absolute numbers go.

Having high infamy means that if his infamy cap suddenly goes down, he's over the limit. Also, high infamy reduces the number of cardinals he will have, which means less infamy reduction. (It also means his merchants don't do as well in foreign CoT's, but that doesn't really apply much anymore.)

Also, infamy over 30 % and 60 % has an effect on the amount of Boundary Disputes - see post #1063 by uat2d for the source of that information. I also think the AI is rather more eager to war(n) you at higher infamy levels that aren't quite Dishonourable Scum, but I can't cite a source for that.

-edit- That's what I get for sitting on the post for too long. Basically, what Malurous said.

There would also be BB events or death of his ruler and a bad new ruler.

Hmmm, I had hoped for more out of Japan. Brunei is still annoyingly hanging on. Diplo 8 is Good, nine is better;), the admin should help somewhat. But not like you were feeling the pinch in that department anyways with provinces stretched from Lisbon to Shanghai.

HIgh BB also encourages DOWs from other countries and they wouldn't necessarily be of types that lead to BB free provinces.

I would be hoping for a boundary dispute on Gelre, just cut Burgundy off from the sea.