• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Scandinavia is a mess.:D

Messy but interesting.
Finally caught up, nice to see the Asian conquests going so well. Nice to see the DIP 9 paying off, in my current game I had one that had 1 boundary dispute in 16 years. Of course, his diplomatic skills were put to good use in the more traditional sense;)
Japan and Brunei are definite to do's but the RN will have to be up to it. Eastern Fleet will need some reinforcements.

Finally caught up! I've been reading at a turtle's pace. Thankfully, you've been producing at a snail's pace. :D

I'm surprised and honored that you actually remembered our little PM conversation. I'm sure you must get a lot of fan mail . . .

And lastly, I want to inform you that I plan on stealing your new cat. >:|. It's adorableness is unmatched.

That scandinavia hurts my eyes. Luckly your kitten made things nice to look. :D

This is possibly a completely derp question, but how can you demand exactly 141 gold in a peace deal? I can only get it in jumps of 25.

The AI can offer any quantity it wants or that's all the gold they have left.

This is possibly a completely derp question, but how can you demand exactly 141 gold in a peace deal? I can only get it in jumps of 25.
Note that right clicking will give you increments of 100. I find doing that saves a lot of clicking time.

FEEDBACK​

Franconian, Edlar89, Yammka, zwitterion, Wayloss & Orlov Kruskayev - I've told Poppy all the nice things you've said. She went and had a crap. For those of you who missed her at the bottom of a page, here she is again Poppy, my fifth cat.

102krb5.jpg

PdoxNewbie - Progress so far feels good but it's too early to say.

Yelnoc - Isn't it just!

Malurous - I'm not convinced I've seen the end of Khorasan and I'd forgot about the Russians taking Quest to invade Siberia :eek:o

Barsoom - I was very pleased to see Milan actually annex Novgorod and not leave a 8BB OPM with Quest - that would have been unfortunate.

Franconian - This is definitely one of the quieter (read boring) bits, very much seize land against outclassed opponents and wait for BB to burn. Rinse and repeat.

rustic - I think Milan's design sense is offended as well since they appear determined to clean up the borders in Scandinavia.

Dewirix - Ming is getting thrashed :) Milan is also a threat since they are nearly as powerful as Bohemia and are part of the Empire. It'll be some time before I have the troops to be confident of easy or major victories in Europe.

Arakhor - Milanese Scandinavia is growing, silly or not :(

The Arch Mede - Very true, Ruthenia will create some interesting borders.

uat2d - Yes, Milan with QftNW is a problem, I think I can manage if it happens but yeah nasty.

Ricardo Rolo - I'd prefer Milan to attack since that won't involve Bohemia. Milan with Quest is a problem but not insurmountable...

Edlar89 - The plan was to let the nomads overrun the isolated Ming provinces, that's not looking too good right now :( World Map in the 1600 Round the Empire post.

timmy827 - I'm going to try and block all the staging posts for settlement in the next few decades. I'm not quite ready for that but by 1605 I hope to start. I definitely generate colonists faster than anyone else and I also have spies... Milan are probably 7-8 levels of navasl ahead of me. They also have a very large if mainly galley fleet.

Taylor - Don't like that plan, burning/sezing colonies looks cheaper than picking off a set of OPMs.

Good question. I think there wouldn't necessarily be a problem if Milan took QftNW around 1650; after he's exhausted Holy War, PrawnStar could just go for the America's himself. Ideally, without prior map spread he would have 50 years to build up his colonial empire before interference. If anyone took QftNW earlier, he would be forced to move. Best option is something like the operation against Novgorod, cutting them down to size in Europe so he wouldn't have to jump ahead in the Americas. But as you and Taylor say, Milan is probably too big for that.

The second option is to intercept or distract explorers. Catch 'em with the fleet while at war or stir up pirates in hopes that they'll return to clean up. Novgorod's turned around to fight pirates, so that might work for a bit.

The third alternative is to start on America earlier than originally planned. England could settle the coasts to prevent others colonizing. Colonial range is a factor. Milan's ports are mostly in Italy and Scandinavia so it might be they don't reach very far. In any case, colonizing the costs to seal off the New World is expensive but not BB-costly if England gets there first. To protect them during war, there is the fleet; again, expensive but it doesn't cost BB as long as Milan doesn't seize a colony. The biggest problem would be to prevent them from taking lands off the native nations. That's exactly the situation in east Africa where Mutapa needs to be sealed off from Brunei, only the American natives' coastline is much longer so it would require more Colonial CB conquests before their proper time.

The closer to 1650, the better the third option looks. With luck, PrawnStar might even make it there. If I'm not mistaken, Milan is not coded as an early or second-wave explorer. The Russians are, as it's usually useful for settling Siberia.

As usual another good analysis. Milan is the issue as far as I can see. I doubt they can be stopped in Europe or distracted for long so the answer will be colonist spam, probably on an economy wrecking scale.

Athalcor - Wu is allied to Hindustan and I've been waiting for Hindustan to reabsorb Ceylon and Maldives.

dragonizer - I was hoping the nomads would eat Ming but it appears to be going the other way right now.

Chief Ragusa - I'm pleased with just how much progress I've made in China. More gains there and an attack on Hindustan are due but Brunei does need trimming down as well. I think Aquileia got Provence back in the French/Imperial wars around 1520. Aragon will only be vassalised if I get an appropriate mission/CB - at least before 1650 as I want to get eveything I can with the Holy War CB. Riga has joined the Livonian Order as a Baltic Sunni OPM - 2BB a province to annex and they are both part of the Empire so that means Bohemia - cheaper pickings in Asia. att acking Milan means fighting more troops in Europe than I have worldwide soI'm looking for the right opportunity.

sprites - Good spot, they don't really have anywhere else to turn. This is the general idea with sealing Eurpe in - the bigger players will eventually consolidate large areas.

Nikolai - Isn't it.

blsteen - The diplo 9 is golden with all those boundary disputes! I do need more ships in the Indian Ocean and that expansion is planned for quite soon.

homy_dog34 - Cheers.

El Awrence - Lots of stuff like that due in the 1600 round up.

Yammka - Always nice to know people are reading. Sadly this is going a lot slower than previous efforts as I just don't have as much time or energy. It's mainly due to work. Take today, up at 5.30am as I had to attend a six hour workshop on a customer site 3 hours travel away - with enough potential conflict that my boss has ducked out of responsibilty and I had to pick it up with his boss about just what can I say no to in front of the customer. Still the only way to get the interesting jobs is to prove you can sort out the tricky stuff and I get so very bored doing routine work.

Leonoob - Right click in hundreds - it seems to empty their treasury if over 25 ducats.

Avindian & homy_dog34 - Thanks for answering the question.

You must be Papal Controller. Call crusade on Livonia and Riga. Someone will attack them and annex. That'll spawn Sunni Zealot revolts -either naturally or helped by English spies. Milan has fought Bohmeia before I think and been forced to release provinces. You do not want Novgorod released as part of a peace deal - or maybe you do want Novgorod to revolt away from Milan. It would r=take out some of your provinces too allowing you to reconquer for free.Perhaps the "or" option is too gamey and therefore prohibited,

I have faith in Brunei. I think you're a couple of wars off forcing Ming to release the West as the Oirat Horde.

Last edited:

Short update this time to get through to 1600, round up to follow at the weekend.

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

Little happens until June 1596 when my truce with the Timurids expires; I invade since they have a nasty case of Khorasani patriots in the middle of a Tribal Succession Crisis. It only takes a couple of months to defeat the rebels and storm the province they controlled. Coincidentally, that’s enough war score to force the Timurids to concede defeat.

Richard Anson is re-elected in April 1597 - yes these are quiet times…

By June 1598 BB is down to 6.72 / 24.00 falling at 2.20 a year.

Holy Wars are started against Brunei bringing in Mali and Kashmir bringing in Khorasan.

vffimu.jpg

The plan is annex Kashmir and nibble away at Brunei.

Days later…

a6zpu.jpg

I could do with a war with Milan to take the cores they hold but their army is nearly as big as Bohemia’s and they’re part of the Empire.

Mali is rapidly peaced out for a few ducat after the capital Gao is stormed and Khorasan right at the end of the year.

January 1599 and Gov’t 25 - the sixth NI slot and I can take QftNW. I’ve some colonies in Africa to finish but the general plan is to find and colonise the Atlantic islands to deny them to anyone else before heading for the Caribbean. I don’t want to annex the tribes before 1650 so initial mainland colonisation will probably be aimed at Brazil.

2yzhi81.jpg

Some other snippets of information in this screenie as well.

Boundary dispute April 1599

o6hh0m.jpg

I could really do with Milan DOWing me, ideally on a Reconquest CB.

Peace with Brunei - June 1599

f02685.jpg

I can’t get very high war scores against Brunei until I deal with their fleet but I can still grab plenty of land at the moment - this was a 38 point peace deal. The four provinces gained out of shot are the Mutapan coast shown two shots up.

Kashmir eventually falls in December 1599.

2ij2cg3.jpg

BB is 14.41 / 24.00 falling at 2.30 a year.

And then its 1600 and time to look around the realm.

You took 8 provinces off Brunei. They'll not help you now with Japan. It would appear Khorasan is going to return, rahter like Freddy krueger...

4 cores on Milan. Guess what the game wants? So infiltrate their administration, as long as you succeed -my guess is that they have a lot of troops in Scandinavia and not much in Italy - though I could be wrong, which is where that spy becomes important.You'll be able to take the cores and the cpaital before mIlan can land troops on the mainland and take London. Who knows maybe Bohemia will enjoy seeing Milan taken down a perg or two and stay out of the war.

Will the Emperor protect Milan if you have a reconquest CB? At least if you were a member of the HRE, he wouldn't. I'm not sure if he still does, if you have a valid CB but aren't in the HRE.

I'm sure Bohemia would intervene. The Emperor always does against a foreign power IIRC and in any case they hate your guts. Four provinces are worth a fight, though. Bithynia has the added advantage of breaking Milan's Bosporus tax bonus (and puts you one step closer to getting it for yourself). If you have a decent spy chance, I'd take the Chief's advice and infiltrate.

On the other hand, I call cheese on this one:
You must be Papal Controller. Call crusade on Livonia and Riga. Someone will attack them and annex. That'll spawn Sunni Zealot revolts -either naturally or helped by English spies.

I'm very curious for the 1600 roundup. Finances in particular. You're maintaining a huge overseas empire but the navy - thus tariffs - lag. You're hard pressed to maintain enough troops in Europe to beat either Milan or Bohemia but you're contemplating colonizing on a grand scale. Not that I'm complaing; it's nice to see you start out on some colonization, it makes for change from whacking Asian natives. I do hope your economy is up to it. I know the navy isn't top of your priority list right now but tariffs and the possibility of war with Milan make it useful to invest in ships a bit.

Edit: Oh, and Khorassan's continued, improbably successful struggle for independence at least provides comic relief.

Last edited:
Good update for such a short amount of time. Glad to see Khorasan taken care of.

Also, it might be best to guarantee the tribal nations, so that you aren't taken off guard should a European nation attack them.

Will the Emperor protect Milan if you have a reconquest CB? At least if you were a member of the HRE, he wouldn't. I'm not sure if he still does, if you have a valid CB but aren't in the HRE.
No, they emperor will get a call to arms at all times if a non-HRE nation attacks a nation in the HRE.