• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Get well soon!

(Also, due to the diplomacy, provinces will always be at full cost [can only interact with the emperor, but must take provinces from the allied daimyos]). Japan is a nuisance.
Nope, you can buy them for as cheap as 1 Infamy. But you have to make sure the Emperor is war leader, otherwise they'll cost you 4. Which can be a nuisance since Japan is often allied or guaranteed by Korea, Ming or Manchu.
Basicaly, you have to DOW those first, then DOW a daimyo.

Get well soon!

Get well soon!

Nope, you can buy them for as cheap as 1 Infamy. But you have to make sure the Emperor is war leader, otherwise they'll cost you 4. Which can be a nuisance since Japan is often allied or guaranteed by Korea, Ming or Manchu.
Basicaly, you have to DOW those first, then DOW a daimyo.

you cannot DOW a daimyo with intact shogunate directly. (no diplomacy), or am I mistaken there?

you cannot DOW a daimyo with intact shogunate directly. (no diplomacy), or am I mistaken there?
Well no, you DOW Japan. But the daimyos being basically in a worse situation than being vassalised and in personal union, you can annex any of their provinces for 1 infamy.

Thanks for the explanation, guys. So you declare war on Japan, not on a separate daimyo, that makes sense. I would assume your CB for Japan determines province BB cost, but apparently one bug is that it only works if Japan is war leader. The other one is that one (?) daimyo has to be eliminated by something other than your war machine before you can annex the capitals. Is that correct? So you can take every other Japanese province normally, provided you circumvented bug #1? Do the daimyo's move capital? There were a few proposals last page on letting Japan expand, or conversely be invaded by Brunei; what would that change?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanted to get it straight as people are starting to discuss plans for Japan. Good sign that PrawnStar is already near enough, by the way.

Get well soon.

I have a question about your WD ARRs (and your regular WD games). How much time goes into completing a WD game? And if there is a difference, how much time difference between a BB limit WD and a non-limit one? I've never done a WD game and I'm just curious :)

Get well soon.

I have a question about your WD ARRs (and your regular WD games). How much time goes into completing a WD game? And if there is a difference, how much time difference between a BB limit WD and a non-limit one? I've never done a WD game and I'm just curious :)

This is from knowledge of completed AARs but, a non-BB limit WC may finish at the 17th century if one ignores the BB Limit (though the AAR was HttT), this is taken from morningSIDEr's scotland AAR http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?460107-Glasgow-Kiss-A-Scottish-WC-HttT-AAR/page11

A BB Limit WC AAR may barely get a WC by the end, in PrawnStar's Iruqois AAR he barely finished it (I think).

That said, PrawnStar get well soon :D

edit: though you should wait for PrawnStar's response as I haven't even done a WC, yet a completed game >.>

This is from knowledge of completed AARs but, a non-BB limit WC may finish at the 17th century if one ignores the BB Limit (though the AAR was HttT), this is taken from morningSIDEr's scotland AAR http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?460107-Glasgow-Kiss-A-Scottish-WC-HttT-AAR/page11

A BB Limit WC AAR may barely get a WC by the end, in PrawnStar's Iruqois AAR he barely finished it (I think).

That said, PrawnStar get well soon :D

edit: though you should wait for PrawnStar's response as I haven't even done a WC, yet a completed game >.>

The speed record for a WC as far as I know is 1567, with France (ignoring the cap, of course). My own under the BB-cap WC effort finished sometime around 1800, although this would be much easier before Divine Wind due to fewer provinces and lower BB cost for many provinces.

The speed record for a WC as far as I know is 1567, with France (ignoring the cap, of course). My own under the BB-cap WC effort finished sometime around 1800, although this would be much easier before Divine Wind due to fewer provinces and lower BB cost for many provinces.
Do you have a reference for that speed record? Would love to read the AAR, if there is one.
Also, are you saying you completed an under the BB-limit WC in DW with 20 years to spare? You should have written an AAR yourself. If only to show PrawnStar that it's possible, shake him out of his habitual pessimism (Necessity of Epic Failure indeed).

Record for WC was with IN or HTTT, not DW, which explains a lot.

On the other hand, if you exploit and abuse weddings, claiming thrones and personal unions, it seems realistic to do a WC before 1820. Prawnstar clearly stated he won't exploit.

Hey, I am curious as to how you managed to get so many Boundary Disputes. I almost never get disputed claims when I play, either in multiplayer or single player. What can I do to increase the frequency of these? Thanks and great job so far.

Hey, I am curious as to how you managed to get so many Boundary Disputes. I almost never get disputed claims when I play, either in multiplayer or single player. What can I do to increase the frequency of these? Thanks and great job so far.

A high Diplomacy King or Ruler increase the chance of getting a Boundary Disputes.

Long straggly borders with lots of potential provinces for it to fire in. Then ruler with DIP 8 boosts the rate in each province or DIP 9 boosts it even more.

If you play a country without extremely diplomatic rulers and keep your borders neat and tidy, you won't see it much. If you always try for the top diplo rating on your ruler and extend tendrils of territory across the world, you'll get the sort of frequency you see in this AAR.

Long straggly borders with lots of potential provinces for it to fire in. Then ruler with DIP 8 boosts the rate in each province or DIP 9 boosts it even more.

If you play a country without extremely diplomatic rulers and keep your borders neat and tidy, you won't see it much. If you always try for the top diplo rating on your ruler and extend tendrils of territory across the world, you'll get the sort of frequency you see in this AAR.

Does diplomatic skill advisor further increase the rate of fire?

Nope:

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Boundary_Dispute

On the other, being below 30% of your infamy limit is quite a must, and you should try to neighbour your official rivals - which helps even more if you ever get "Claims on our rivals" of course.

FEEDBACK​

homy_dog34 - Thanks, it went pretty well in that update :)

Arakhor - Cheers

Thandros - The plan is to make certain of World's Greatest Nation by getting rid of the rest of the countries!

Fyregecko - It's not effortless just the same old play slowly and hit pause to think. I have played a vast amount of EU3 so I do know what I'm doing most of the time. There aren't many rebels although Delhi has had several spawns - at 16k a time :(

sprites - That's a pretty good idea, mainly I've been rclaiming those corers whenever Bohemia has looked vulnerable to a quick strike and not worried too much about the long term. From 1750 (I think) countries start leaving the HRE anyway.

Chief Ragusa - In practice I seem to drop to 4 cardinals after a BB feast and slowly build up to 6 or 7 as BB drops away towards zero. Milanese cores are tricky since they are in the Empire which means war with the two strongest Europeansd + a lot of minors (10 - 15) - I'll hope for a war between Bohemia and Milan. Central Asia remains slightly messy while I'm leaving Hindustan alone to reabsorb OPMs Cylon and Maldives. Aqueiliea in Provence.

Duke of Britain - I'm the King Prawn :)

The Arch Mede - The Yeswikhan was probably running my Golden Horde.

Omen - It's not a science but I've definitely played too much EU3

dragonizer - Conversions are done on a regional basis, usually centred around a garrisoned province. I tend to run a few decades behind the conquest so I don't stack high nationalism with the missionary revolt risk.

homy_dog34 - Pretty much but I do leave 10k stacks scattered around the rear areas of the Empire.

dragonizer - Does it? I knew stabilty cost was improved by conversions didn't realised religion numbers also affected that.

Franconian - OPM Guyenne is still a vassal.

Rendap - I think I'll be more than OK for Holy War targets - around 150 left at the end of the next update in 1595. Japan will be a nuisance - mainly getting enough boots on the ground. The end game in Europe I won't worry about too much for another century.

Memento Mori - I've not seen the HRE pass all the reforms so I don't have much feel for how it will pan out - I'll just weigh it up at the time and take what advantage I can :)

Orlov Kruskayev - Welcome on board. I will be happy for the Empire to form - that way I don't have the BB cost of annexing lots of OPMs.

Edlar89 - The point is BB control so you shouldn't get off scale BB just a smaller country. Try it you'll probably surprise yourself.

Barsoom - Maybe they're worrying a bit since the last reform failed!

PdoxNewbie - There's no great rush to form GB I might give it a miss, hard to say :)

Legolas - No plan for Japan other than turn up and do my thing (I came I saw I conquered).

sprites - I didn't have any problems in my test game so I'm not sure exactly why people find it so hard.

Barbarossa_TSG - Hi, I'd give England less than 20 years against a player before imploding.

EU3NOOB & Chilango2 - There's a cultural reference there I don't get and Google isn't terribly helpful...

Orlov Kruskayev - Try the beaches of the Mediterranean in the summer. The English Horde drunk in the sun near you.

Selenimar - stopping for tea!

PdoxNewbie - LOL yeah that as well.

Ricardo Rolo - My BB burn isn't quite enough to make Brunei a target between the wars with Ming - after 1600 that'll probably change so Brunei becomes my primary target. For now I'll just take cores in Europe I really want to max out the Holy War CB - ideally in Japan nevermind Manchu or Korea. Consolidation in the Empire is best for me but I'll just deal with whatever there is when I get there. The Scandies are a mess Milan is a colonial worry but the real worry comes from somewhere unexpected! The cores elsewhere will get picked off steadily.

Sorry for the long post. I started replying to some of Ricardo Rolo's questions and before I knew, it had turned into an essay.

If PrawnStar stays true to form, he'll bash Ming every 5 years from now aiming for the largest possible gain while provinces are still cheap. I think he'll gain the most benefit if he takes the expensive coastal provinces first. After one or two of these wars, province cost will be the limiting factor (as it was with Hindustan) so he'll need BB to tide him over. Hindustan, Brunei and some others are available for that.

Mutapa, African nations except Mali, and Americans remain cheap after 1650 because of the Colonial casus belli. He'll postpone those whenever possible. The only problem with that would be Brunei's occupation of some Mutapan coastal provinces (reported one or two posts back). They were taken just after the last serious war with Brunei, so I'm guessing they'll be on the target list for the next one. Sealing the coast would be enough, the inland provinces can be saved for later.

Other than that, Asia should be the focus now. With about 60 years to go, at an average BB burn of 2.2 or so / year, the Holy War casus belli should be good for a over a hundred provinces - 1 BB / province normally, 2 for annexation (if the enemy has 2 provinces). I'm not sure if that accounts for all of mainland Asia but Ming should be gone for sure.

In Europe, PrawnStar has said he's keeping an eye on the second wave colonizers' national ideas. So far, no QftNW = no exploration = no map spread = no colonization. If that changes, I'm sure we'll see an early English intervention, before exploration can get underway. Finally, the strategy is allow the HRE to unify. Annexations cost a lot of BB, all of which can be prevented if the German minors are converted into simple HRE provinces.

Quoted in full because it saves me typing it out again. This is exactly how I see the next 60 years working out.

Barbarossa_TSG - Seizing colonies costs BB so is not a good idea since that is my limiting factor. Once I start exploring the colonies will be very thick and fast.

Floodturka - I suspect I'll have enough manpower - there's a lot of Asia to draw bodies from :) No cheese!

Chilango2 - Every scrap of BB counts so having to seize colonies is bad and should be avoided. I doubt I can make this. Having to spend BB entirely avoidably is not good.

Barsoom - I agree AI manpower isn't that much of an issue, doomstacks can be self-defeating :)

homy_dog34 - I can DOW Japan with Holy War so I'm not concerned about them having mainland territory.

Chief Ragusa - I'll Holy War against whichever of Japan or Brunei is easier - both if I get the opportunity.

Chieron - There are ways around Japan (I think) but yeah it's a nuisance. Either Milan or Bohemia for end game boss. I thought Bohemia but I'm taking provinces quite quickly.

GaiusC - Exactly, it's all about picking the right war and engineering the situation to give you the right war. I plan too kill the mainlanders before invading Japan so they'll probably fight in isolation.

Barsoom - I'm not entirely certain about the various weirdness people seem to have encountered. I intend to DOW Japan using the Holy War CB - this will pull in the Daimyos. I wil make peace with Japan - if the yar war leader they will hand over Daimyo provinces at 1BB because I''m using the same CB. This is exactly the same behaviour we saw with Castile handing over a Scottish province when I DOWed over a core in Spain and claimed a core in Scotland from Castile in the peace deal.

loki100 - I was only vaguely aware that poll was going on so I'll pop over and post. Thanks to all who voted for all the contenders - writAARs love attention!

Nephilia - Having PM'd I understand you were talking about real time I use to play. AAR games take 20-25 hours a week fotr 5-6 months This game is running slower at around 15 hours a week but the timeframe to complete will be longer. The goal of the game isn't really relevant to how long it takes me. Interesting point - I expect this feedback post wil take 1.5+ hours to assemble.

Matth34, Displacement;, Barsoom, GaiusC - There isn't an easy answer to how fast can a WC be done - very much depends on your game version and approach to cheese. Before 1500 maybe with Ming in IN if you abuse the mission system rather brutally and there are people argung the Timmies or Horde should be able to do it in DW by 1500.

loki100 - Wise is our Scottish Yoda ;-)

nightraid3r; - Hi and a good question. There are three things that are easy(ish) to do; long boundaries, a high diplo ruler and low BB. I currently have a lot of borders and a diplo 9 ruler :)

Tallfellow, The Arch Mede & GaiusC - Thanks for the answers.

Thanks to everyone who has wished me well. I feel better and I'm back at work but I don't know why I'm so tired and struggling :(

Now the bad news; I've someone new in my life that has distracted me from the AAR.

Meet Poppy

102krb5.jpg

Now before you start obsessing, this photo was not taken in my house. So don't ask me how I'm finding my Sony Bravia (like the woman who sits next to me at work who recognised the remote control)!