• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Burgundy certainly knows how to pick them, but if you'd magically gained cores on my heartland, I'd be worried too!

JKNUBZ - I went after Castile early because I could, the cores in France are still there and will be reclaimed soon. The important bit in the first few decades is to secure control of Western Europe. Two reasons, first so that there's no one on your doorstep who can cause problems when your army is halfway across Asia and secondly so that no one goes exploring and through colonies creates BB.

I suppose my point was that you had already hamstrung castille and that portugal is almost helpless, and that neither of them will start making new provinces to take for another 30 years, so focusing on snapping up those juicy cores in france was more worth your time, as you could use the income and MP to rapidly eclipse the strength of most AI blocs. and then you did that, as evidenced by your letting castille off easy in that last war and focusing on france...ill let the grown folks play their games now, apparently i have a tendency to make patronizing posts that i dont remember while drunk. :ninja:

Taking on Castile and France first thing, nice! Hopefully Burgundy won't cause you too many problems.

Hmm, this could turn ugly for Burgundy with all those cores you have on their territory. They're a bit late in DoWing as the war against the French seems to be all but over.

If you are in a defensive war, does it cost 4BB to take a core province from the attacker, or less?

I think 3 (b/c it's defensive). But he shouldn't take his cores... that would be a waste of infamy.

If you are in a defensive war, does it cost 4BB to take a core province from the attacker, or less?

I think 3 (b/c it's defensive). But he shouldn't take his cores... that would be a waste of infamy.

The CB the attacker uses matters - if it's Reconquest for their cores you can use that in reverse to claim a core off them at zero BB. There's an example coming up fairly soon.

Long time reader, first time commenter.

First, I assume you were very aware of the glaring differences between the title of this AAR and the one you began almost four years ago? It is depressing that audacious optimism has been replaced by inevitable failure.

Second, I completed this challenge in HTTT using normal settings. One problem I had was controlling inflation while maintaining enough troops to fight my enemies and maintain the peace. Are you maintaining a standing army in Africa, and one in Iberia, or are you just committing all your troops to the current war and letting rebels have their way until you have time to deal with them?

Good to see another AAR from you, enjoyable stuff as ever. I'll be following.

Feedback

Thandros - Burgundy have used the Reconquest CB - that one works both ways so no BB hit for any cores I can reclaim :)

tamius23 - I was very pleased with that mission but if I got some thing different I'd probably take non coring provinces in the south or peace out earlier.

Taylor - Maybe, Burgundy is strong and I can't match them for troops in theatre.

aldriq - Bad things happen to France although they make a revival of sorts. Burgundy is always hard work with it's cluster of rich cores.

Actually I think your priority should be saving / cutting off the Golden Horde before heading east and 1500 may already be pushing it. Every province that you can colonize for 0 BB instead of having to take off Lithuania, Poland or whichever Russian minor it is that comes out on top is very beneficial to your goal and might make the difference between success or failure of this attempt.

I completely agree with this. However there are a couple of problems; firstly they've better troops than me so it's a major commitment, secondly it drags a lot of troops out of position while there are still threats in western europe.

loki100 - I can't really relax against Castile until they don't have a coastline so they can't explore.

Hydroloc - Don't worry, I'll fix the boundaries in time :)

sprites & Arakhor - Let's hope I can take advantage!

JKNUBZ - What can I say, there's definite danger of multi-tasking. Beating down on the possible colonisers all needs to happen in parallel. It's not AI colonising it's mapspread that's the problem, even if I don't need to capture a colony I need to colonise anything uncovered asap and I'd rather not start doing that yet - tech lag will be bad enough as it is.

Tanzhang (譚張) - It's the only sensible way, beat up on the big guys from the word go.

Malurous - The Borg are always a hard fight, uber generals.

Buckmeister - Audacity was only my second AAR now I'vce learned I can and probably will very publically fail. But yes it's a very well observed point. At this stage I was maintaining three separate forces usually one of those was on rebel duty. After my Horde AAR you can't expect me to just let rebels get away with it can you! I keep expanding the army but I am probably undertrooped - it felt that way in the test game right up to 1780+.

Monzon - thanks, will do.

morningSIDEr - Good to see you here.

Chapter Four

Burgundy declaring war before I’ve finished with France is really annoying but the ‘Reconquest’ CB works both ways. Just saying... The full war is England, Aragon and Portugal vs. Burgundy, Brittany, Trier and Milan. I just need to get my main army back from rebel squashing in North Africa.

And for Christmas this year…

1588492.jpg

Aragon and Portugal both honour this call to defend against Castile. I’m a bit of a plan free area right now but I’ll start by getting out of the wars with France and Alencon then see how things look. I suspect Castile can be easily forced to peace as I don’t want any land from them. I am thinking of spending BB to force-vassalise Brittany but that’s a few cups of tea sort of decision.

Peace with France - January 1425

fwn4wg.jpg

BB is 6.62 / 26.00 falling at 1.20 a year. I’ll probably need some BB before the end of the war with Burgundy. Scotland and Tuscany get called to war by Castile. Interesting as I can use the Castilian ‘Reconquest’ CB to take my core of Ayrshire without BB cost if I take it in a peace deal with Castile.

Mid Summer

kdqzi8.jpg

Another very welcome boundary dispute while Western Europe is a mess. I’ve killed the Bretons and a couple of Burgundian stacks but they keep coming. Half my troops and the Portuguese are tied up in Castile while Aragon is also at war with France. The Scottish invasion of England is unopposed - I need victory in Castile soon or I’ll have war exhaustion problems. Castilian ally Tuscany accepts white peace in the autumn but the situation in Northern England and Northern France deteriorates. My heavily outnumbered defenders can’t stop provinces falling to Burgundy and Milan in France. Scotland remains unchecked. It’s late in 1426 before I manage to bribe Milan out the war. Northern France is all but lost, England has fallen as far south as Derby and war exhaustion is over 4. On the positive side Castile is hurting although not yet badly enough to hand over Ayrshire and Burgundy’s armies are pretty ragged.

When Toledo falls to Aragon I have a tough decision. Do I eat 4BB to take another Castilian province as well as Ayrshire? Right now BB is down to 4.68 / 26.00 dropping at 1.10 a year and I’m a very long way from getting a result against Burgundy. Sleep and Tea before I make a call on that - I don’t want to run out of BB but I don’t like full price provinces either. Eventually I decide to bite the bullet, the sooner Castile is no longer a threat then the sooner I can take on Portugal and Aragon.

Peace with Castile - October 1426

igln3a.jpg

Scotland has a right to feel aggrieved. Caceres is an inland province, a port would have been better but I didn’t have the war score and it does add new provincial borders.

War in France - Early Spring 1427

e9c7kl.jpg

War objectives are now clear; vassalise Brittany and take a bunch of cores from Burgundy.

Good news in North Africa

sy6phs.jpg

Brittany vassalised - December 1428

i4hfrb.jpg

The war is slow, Burgundy can raise armies just by whistling. I’ve all but liberated northern France and it’ll soon be time to grind forwards but war exhaustion is 8.96 and rising. The Admin 3 King really doesn’t help here. The Aragonese/French war is still going. December 1429 sees Portuguese Tangiers defect to Morocco despite the Portuguese army spending the last three years fighting rebels in English North Africa. Good news for me though :) Finally in April 1430 peace with Burgundy.

1r2nh0.jpg

BB is 7.88 / 26.00. War exhaustion is 9.38 and only drops at 0.12 a month in peacetime. It looks as if a period of quiet peace and recovery would be a good idea doesn’t it?

When I tried to look at your game as a 'classic one' - well, just 30 years into it and you already own half of France and parts of Castille/North Africa...crazy stuff.

The sottish are stille cursing their traitorious castillan allies ...

edit : doublethinking this one , why didn't you take Murcia from Castille , as it's their last mediterranean coastal province , you can reclaim Ayrshire later infamy free too.

Last edited:
Given the obvious answer to the question at the end, I'm guessing that someone is about to declare war on England again. :)

That is some extremely impressive progress! My hat is off to you. Well, it would be if I were wearing a hat, which I'm not.

Interesting, I never knew reconquest works both ways! Good progress!

It looks as if a period of quiet peace and recovery would be a good idea doesn’t it?

You tease you ... interesting to see that w/e is suddenly as much a constraint as your BB limit.

Hadn't realised how BB efficient those reconquest CBs were and N France no longer looks very French, ... 1427 and France is pretty much out of it?

Wow, very impressive progress already! :) Here's hoping you can get one of the Scotland missions soon... I'd assume knocking them out of the picture so no one can realistically occupy the isles would really cut down on the WE you generate? (Or does the majority of your WE come from battles instead?)