• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

Days after attacking Bohemia…

rk24qx.jpg

Who’d have thought we were so unpopular? Aragon’s reconquest CB cuts both ways - I can claim cored Valencia for no BB. Also as we discovered much earlier I can claim cored Breisgau for no BB if I do it in a peace treaty with Aragon. Mali’s CB also cuts both ways so a chance to top up on BB. There’s nothing I want from Sicily right now.

Bohemia throws over 100,000 men at the Russian front and once again I’m backpedalling in that area. To free up my western European forces I make a quick peace deal with Aragon.

2s5y5ug.jpg

The Badenese province will do. Opportunities to pick off provinces in the Empire are hard to come by while Aragon is a much easier target.

As the summer progresses I sink Sicily’s navy and steadily overrun Mali without actually fighting. Bohemia has moved yet more troops into Russia, outnumbered in theatre 3:1 it’s going to get messy. I am slowly moving on hostile minors in Germany. I also get a boundary dispute with Shan (there was another one earlier with the nomads but they’re near worthless as they don‘t save any BB).

svko4z.jpg

Sicily offers a quickly accepted white peace in October while I retreat in Russia. I’ve lost eight border provinces including Kiev and Novgorod while my troops just seem to bounce off Bohemian stacks. I’m not sure why I’m doing badly in battles I guess Bohemia is just optomised as a fighting machine - all four NI’s are military while they are Land 21 vs. my Land 20.

Spring and a core on Milanese Orkney.

2qvf8mb.jpg

It’s as bad as it looks, there’s over 180 Bohemian and allied regiments there. I have 60 to oppose them. July 1570 and I’ve broken into Bohemia proper. The front in the East is starting to stabilse as Bohemian stacks are suddenly flooding westwards.

t8nukn.jpg

The advantage will be temporary but it’s enough for 19 points of provinces and some cash.

2u5yq20.jpg

Time for peace with Mali as well.

ei3t6v.jpg

BB is 6.69 / 24.00 falling at 2.30 a year.

By October 1571 the map of Asia has seen more changes with Ming chewing up Manchu and Brunei savaging battered Hindustan.

o8vv44.jpg

Time for three new wars, Holy War CB against Hindustan (for a few provinces), two province Delhi to annex and Reconquest against Shan for my core. Kachin is taken from Shan in January 1572. Delhi’s level 2 forts are proving a nuisance while Hindustan’s army has significantly upgraded - South Indian musket units aren’t bad. The Infantry are a pip or so weaker than my Mauricians while the cavalry treat mine as snack food.

Late April and I pick up another Boundary dispute.

p93wl.jpg

I’ve Hindustan beat and Delhi in trouble by August when my 6* diplomat dies. I hoard cultural tradition exactly against this situation so at 100% I can hire a new 6* straight away.

121be4k.jpg

October and peace with Hindustan.

357kmer.jpg

Ceylon is a two province minor, easy enough to swallow at a later point while the Tibetan province is still waiting to defect! Three more wars to go to finish Hindustan. Delhi is annexed a month later.

kcfim8.jpg

BB is 6.56 / 24.00 falling at 2.20 a year.

War with Brunei - April 1573

70jpki.jpg

This war is simply to pick up some more BB, clear out Brunei from India and Mutapa and hopefully improve the border in South East Asia before attacking Ming. Our longstanding ruler dies days later, the replacement is far from good. However, the switch to Administrative Republic is available…

15mixpz.jpg

Of course shortly after I switch and take a stab hit I have an event giving me another stab hit. Deep Joy.

The war against Brunei and allies is slow and dull with nothing of interest. By February 1575 it’s time for peace. I’ve made no progress in Africa as my 8,000 rebel control force is looking at 16,000 Brunei troops with at least as many Mutapans - one set of bad rolls and I’m in trouble.

11bkobl.jpg

BB is back up to 9.93 / 21.00 falling at 1.90 a year. My current problem is a doomstack of Delhian rebels, popped twice in Delhi so that’s 32 regiments. I intend to let them march around Northern India taking attrition for a bit - rebels are an ongoing nuisance. I find them a nuisance others may find two rebellions a month more than that but I cured myself of that problem a while back…

You're saving up cultural tradition for another missionary 6*. Though a 6* from an advisor who hasn't spawned a great man event would help with the recovery of stability, if one should spawn.

You have a core on Orkney, the chance to become Great Britain and Butcher Cumberland to help you do it.

At this point, I think you should cut you losses and sweep up Punjab, Khorasan and Kashmir. Another colonist in West Africa is needed. 32000 Delhian rebels would be a problme to anyone who hadn't done a whole AAR about rebels witthout a pause.

Force releasing Ceylon just to avoid the Hindustani navy. For shame! Does Brunei have a navy? More troops needed for Africa a new full army.

Well done against Bohemia. No doubt their involvement prompted others to war thinking you'd be fully occupied.

A war against Milan, now, does give you the time needed to run down infamy for the wrap up of India and Maldives later.

Brunei has done quite well, though I imagine they'll be easier to fight than Hindustan. This game has created quite a few consolidated empires – is this just random, a consequence of the current patch or the economic bias of the VH setting fostering wealthy powerhouses?

Well done getting such meaningful gains when the wars weren't exactly optimal for you.

The Orkney core seems to mean that there's even less incentive to form GB.

Is West Africa all Mali or are there minors hiding in the TI?

You should take the coastal two provinces off Mutapa before Brunei/Ming/Korea/Japan decides to try their luck :D
With this you border 4 orf 6 Hindustan provinces , so you can let them for a bit later and move to Brunei/Ming!

75 years to end the Holy war CB and you are bordering Ming .... so far within expectations ,and even a little to early side ;)

So let me see ... next batch of wars should be something like ( not necessarily by this order ) Ming , Brunei , Hindustan, Mutapa (?), Milan (? ... not sure if advisable. Depends of the diplo and of Bohemia willingness to help Milan ), Aragon and Novgorod. BTW what is the expected timeline for a core in the Persian gulf or in the Red Sea ? You will need a navy to attack Ceylon and for island hopping in Indonesia ...

Brunei has lost land, so the ai will most likely take Mutapa in compensation. Rereading the screenshots againshow Brunei has 33 big ships and 24 transports. The English don't have that in theatre. It's shank's pony again. Milan's got most if Scandinavia, too. Be an interesting war. Another round with Timurids and Chagatai will need to be fought Quick wars against Aragon and Novgorod for cores. When Kiev cores, there's the muslim Riga to take by Holy War for the embassy. The first war withthe Ming, I am expecting another 17 provinces to be taken in peace.

France usually does take Quest. Even as a OPM, it should still be colonising and ought to be taking Quest as its next NI.

Your South East Asian border is so ugly. I'm guessing those Ming provinces around Shan are the next target. And Shan itself, when the truce is up (2 years, I think), can be reduced to a TPM.

Chief Ragusa has a point about Mutapa. If you have any money to spare, beefing up your African regiment and Indian Ocean navy should get priority.

Gotta agree that France as a coastal OPM is still a very probable QFTNW risk.

Does LT 21 give better tactics?

Nope, after 18 the next upgrade is at level 34 I believe.

Bohemia's strategy escapes me...
*smug, looking at the map brought in by a cartographer, whose swearing makes flowers wilt and women blush*
- Those English are stretched too thin. Our superior armies can easily hit them, where they have no real strength to resist us.
*chugs down the first beer barrel*
- Y'know, if we keep this up, our eastern border will be re-e-e-a-ally ugly. Why don't we just round everyone up and send them west... Maybe take a tour of Bavaria.
*next morning, hangover at the mineral water fountain*
- What, the Reds took a few of the empty provinces back and beaten up our luggage attendants? And they offer peace? Give them anything they want, just get back my glove chest!

Its a good thing that the Bohemians were given a bashing that they deserved, but even better that it did not hit them too hard... I don't have DV, so I don't know how to get imperial authority, however I guess that a higher war exhaustion would not help them in their epic quest to renovate the empire (for the sole purpose of giving you less infamy later on).